MSI 865PE Neo2-P - cannot install OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 865PE Neo2-P - cannot install OS

Got this MoBo from guy to repair. First I checked memory, one module seemed bad so I swapped 2 of fours for a kit. Now there are 3 gigs in 4 Kingston memories.

However, it still does not run. When I tried Ubuntu, it seemed to be working on backroung, it e.g. reacted on Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the problem is there was no image.

With Windows installation (XP with3 different disks and versions) always hangs on:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is ffffc0d.

Setup failed to install product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.
    Tried both SATA and UATA drives, upgraded to latest BIOS. Still nothing. Tried even just one memory stick. Do you think caps (Teapos) can make some device be bad so it does this, or is it more likely caps unrelated?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: MSI 865PE Neo2-P - cannot install OS

Try loading Ubuntu onto a USB stick (pen drive). I have an 8GB Centon that I bought for Ubuntu installs. Try to install the OS this way.

That way you've eliminated CD rom problems. In my experience, optical drives are frequently the cause of failed OS loads.

I have an old copy of Mandriva 8.0 that I run in text mode when I have problems loading an OS. Never fails to spot bad drives.

Bad IDE cables can cause a world of pain too.

Comment

Yes, bad small caps can louse up drive controllers and any other kind of IC chip.
      I had an IDE board where if I connected drives to either port it worked fine, but if I connected drives to both ports the board couldn't find -any- drives connected at all [including the ones on the first port that had been working].
      Switch back to one port and it found the drives again.
      Turned out to be a bad [but not bloated] 200uF 16v near the ports.
      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
        Try loading Ubuntu onto a USB stick (pen drive). I have an 8GB Centon that I bought for Ubuntu installs. Try to install the OS this way.

That way you've eliminated CD rom problems. In my experience, optical drives are frequently the cause of failed OS loads.

I have an old copy of Mandriva 8.0 that I run in text mode when I have problems loading an OS. Never fails to spot bad drives.

Bad IDE cables can cause a world of pain too.
        Well I also tried at least two optical drives with two different cables so its probably more of a controller/southbridge problem.

Strange thing here is that there are no small caps down there. Closest are two 1000uF-like caps, probably Vin to southbridge.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

A southbridge will have several small VR's with caps associated with it.
          They won't necessarily be that close to it.

Like I said on the one I had the cap was down by the ports - and thus not up by the southbridge where the IDE controller it goes to is.

I see 8 possibles in a photo of the board but I'm not sure if it's your exact board model/rev and I obviously can't tell if they are associated with the southbridge without the board in-hand and a DMM.

Have a photo of your actual board?
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-17-2011, 08:18 AM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

This one looks like her:

The thing is, I have run out of 1000uF caps so I cannot do much till I get some.

Comment

Well that's a LOT different than the version I looked at.
              That one had all the stuff in the lower left populated.
              Those 4 caps closest to the SATA ports might be southbridge.
              Also 1 or 2 of the three by the tail end of the video slot might be southbridge.

~
              Have you tried changing the "On Chip ATA Mode" in the BIOS between Legacy and Native with both kinds of drives?
              There is another thread with this board where I think it had a MOSFET problem.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

I did even better thing - tried native UATA drive. Hovewer I got the same results so it is probably not SATA related.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  I did even better thing - tried native UATA drive. Hovewer I got the same results so it is probably not SATA related.
                  But did you try it with the BIOS set alternately to Legacy and Native mode?
                  There may also be a 'No SATA' mode in there somewhere.
                  Those early IDE+SATA combo controllers were kinda goofy in the way they worked and I'd try both ways in case the BIOS code was also goofy.
                  - Some disabled one of the IDE ports if you used SATA [maybe not right words,,, you could have a max of 4 drives of mixed SATA and IDE.]
                  That means the SATA BIOS settings might affect IDE even if you don't have a SATA drive attached.
                  - Because of that make sure you are using the Primary IDE port and not the Secondary. Secondary go *poof* with SATA enabled.

Also try the IDE drive with jumpers in both Master and Cable Select for both BIOS settings.
                  - IOW you need to check it 4 [or 6 if there's a No SATA mode] ways before you have every possibility covered.
                  - You didn't have anything important to do today anyway,,, right?
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Sure, there is like 6 UATA channels. I did turn the SATA off when I didnt have drive connected to it, it did some weird UATA detection with no SATA disk…

But SATA set as legacy must work since its most common setting - IDE emulation and it does not need separate driver this way. If it does not work, the board is considered as defective for me…

What? Been cooking, trying other board and now I am repairing displays and shit…I dont have all weeks to waste, kinda young for retirement (the question is whether I will live long enough to make it to retirement since they prolounge the age for it all the time :-D).
                    Last edited by Behemot; 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Setup failed to install product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.
                      This is usually a corrupted XP CD, usually because nLite or HFSLIP corrupted setup data.

And Ubuntu responding with Ctrl+Alt+Del with just a background might be a software issue.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is ffffc0d.
                        That's one I haven't seen before. Looks like a hardware problem.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I would try another CD drive with the symptoms you have.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

In case you didn't realize yet, you're writing to a thread from December 2011.

Comment

Several independent and normally working discs were tried so that is definitelly NOT a disc-related problem.

And it is not solved yet, the board still lays here arround it somewhere

Comment

ESD-damaged southbridge? I ran across something like this before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_ICH5#ICH5

The board I had was a higher-end i875 based MSI. No matter what you did, any HDD or optical drive connected to the southbridge would result in corrupted data.
                                I "fixed" it with a PCI IDE controller with its own BIOS (Promise Fasttrak 100 I think). That worked for a while (months), but then the board stopped POSTing all of a sudden, and that was the end of that one

Comment

I don't believe on ESD anymore since it never happenned to me. There are always some caps which can catch it I would bet its more like cracked BGA joints either on SB or NB.

Comment

did you ever run a passing memtest? I know you ran memtest, but did you like try one stick?

are you sure the PROCESSOR is good? I've had a few damaged working processors before that just act wierd (bad L2 caches can cause this). of course most of the time these were K7's

edit: find a pci ide controller hook the HD to one port and the cd to another and see if it will work then
                                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Have you tried -fully- recapping the board? Including the small caps.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Not yet - didn't have 1000uF caps back than and no time since than. It's on track Cant try PCI IDE controller if recap won't help, the problem is it usually has many problems with ATAPI.

I suspected microprocessor too, but it ended in different board where I installed OS just fine. Also run OCCT for several hours without any problem.

Comment

Working...
                                        X