Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Latest 8-core Project

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    I guess that just shows how outdated I've become.
    It's been a few good years of being out of the hardware "loop".
    thats okay. i dont care for "modern" and "recent" crap too. doesnt ever last long compared to the good ol' stuff anyway. i just check around occasionally to see what the kids/boys are getting these days and then laughing at the tdp and heat produced by these things and all the corner cutting.

Comment

Well, the HD3450 cards are cheap anyways... but if you care about it, you might want to put a fan on or near it. Doesn't need to move much air really. Typically, a low-current (0.1 to 0.16 Amps) 80 mm fan from a cheap PSU hooked on 5V will be absolutely silent. It won't move much air, but if you put it on or near the card, it can drop the card's temperatures by as much as 20C.
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=31

By the way, are you playing CS online? And if so, which one - 1.6, CSS, CS:GO? I imagine the 3450 won't handle that last one too well.
      Hope I don't derail this thread too much with this question
      Yea this card is sitting in a very old Enlight case with a vacuum condition (don't remember the correct terminology, but it's when there isn't enough intake area on the case, and the fans are choked for air).

Still, that sounds like a worthwhile endeavour... Right now it's at 45C idle and doesn't climb much higher than that even under load.

Yea, it's CS 1.6.

The good games go on the quad-core gaming machine with the Radeon 7770. It's a trash-picked Vostro 420 that came with a stock Core2Quad Q9650. Got 3 771 E5450 (ten bucks a piece, local buy. Couldn't resist), might just sell the Q9650 on eBay and mod the CPU or motherboard for the Vostro. (in 775 systems, you can either dremel the chip, or cut off parts of the socket on the motherboard. Only need to mod the BIOS then to include the microcode).

The 7770 was a replacement for an XFX 4890 that had a lifetime warranty.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        The things Topcat does to keep one step ahead of me when it comes to workstation builds

The RAID card was my idea, but my current board/CPUs (and RAM before the upgrade) is clone of what's in this thread... so in a way both of our workstation upgrades are combined efforts to one degree or another. Long live Socket 771!
        LOL...I didn't even know what that silly proprietary slot was for, and never really looked...yup, you get top billing for that one. The card I got was a new one, which came with the supermicro miniSAS cables that have the enclosure control wiring built in, which will work nifty with the SC743 chassis.

I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip. The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip. The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
          Don't worry about the wattage ratings on the 771 Xeons... I've read that Microsoft significantly exaggerated the ratings on these chips, and the thing is more likely to pull 80W-90W at full load. The 80W-120W versions pull between 50W-80W.

Heck, even my old Pentium D was hotter than a quad core E5420.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Don't worry about the wattage ratings on the 771 Xeons... I've read that Microsoft significantly exaggerated the ratings on these chips, and the thing is more likely to pull 80W-90W at full load. The 80W-120W versions pull between 50W-80W.

Heck, even my old Pentium D was hotter than a quad core E5420.
            Microsoft lie? I couldn't imagine that! /sarcasm

Thanks for the tip, I never really looked that deeply into it, but you've got me thinking now. I plan on running this machine into the ground (going to use it until its a museum piece), so I'm thinking along the lines of *might as well max it out*...
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

LOL...I didn't even know what that silly proprietary slot was for, and never really looked...yup, you get top billing for that one. The card I got was a new one, which came with the supermicro miniSAS cables that have the enclosure control wiring built in, which will work nifty with the SC743 chassis.
              Yeah, I missed that point when I was shopping around for mine, which was a $40 used one. I had to order special cables anyway (since my chassis isn't hotswap) so the factory cables would have been wasted (I have a couple mini-SAS to mini-SAS cables sitting for that matter). Speaking of which, my cables came in... but I won't be home until Wednesday night (in western TN right now, work related).

I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip.
              Same here, who would have though

The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
              If you want I can hook you up with a tested and know working SLIC BIOS (what I'm running) and matching certificate swap kit (for stock 7 images). I know you'll use that BS loader but I'd be a bad friend if I didn't offer.

7 runs like a champ on mine, you'll love it.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If you want I can hook you up with a tested and know working SLIC BIOS (what I'm running) and matching certificate swap kit (for stock 7 images). I know you'll use that BS loader but I'd be a bad friend if I didn't offer.

7 runs like a champ on mine, you'll love it.
                Flash it onto that spare eprom I have you with the board and send it with that enlight case... I'll give it a whirl!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Microsoft lie? I couldn't imagine that! /sarcasm

Thanks for the tip, I never really looked that deeply into it, but you've got me thinking now. I plan on running this machine into the ground (going to use it until its a museum piece), so I'm thinking along the lines of *might as well max it out*...
                  Ah, pardon me, I meant to say Intel there...

You'd be amazed at the processing power of the small tablets these days... Someone gave me a "ChuWi" VI8 tablet... Pretty impressed with the speed. And Microsoft is finally releasing a plugin API for Edge Browser, so I can finally get AdBlock installed on the thing...

Yea... Once you start wandering into Desktop territory for Office use, you start having to justify anything past XP, but I don't want to bore you with that argument again, my friend

Comment

Flash it onto that spare eprom I have you with the board and send it with that enlight case... I'll give it a whirl!
                    Will do... Crap, I forgot to send that rig! Half the problem is that I didn't find a box for it before I left for Tennessee. While I have my main rig open for service next week I'll swap the EPROMs, re-flash, and send you one of them. (Hopefully I can find my flash drive, although I may have a backup and even so it was an easy SLIC job).

Ah, pardon me, I meant to say Intel there...
                    I was going to say... IIRC the X series has unlocked multipliers, which is probably why the listed power is higher.

You'd be amazed at the processing power of the small tablets these days... Someone gave me a "ChuWi" VI8 tablet... Pretty impressed with the speed. And Microsoft is finally releasing a plugin API for Edge Browser, so I can finally get AdBlock installed on the thing...
                    Yeah, the windows 8 Tablet I ran for a while was pretty slick. Even with only 1GB of RAM, once I swapped start menus, re-configured the desktop, and installed ModernMix, it was 85% like 7 and the 15% different was a net gain for tablets (compared to windows 7, which is meh on tablets, the on-screen keyboard is a downgrade IMHO as the writing input is a gimmick). It was nearly as portable as my S4 but especially when combined with a bluetooth keyboard almost as productive as my laptops. Great for times when you don't want to (or can't) lug a laptop. No replacement for my Latitude E6430, but very usable nevertheless.

Yea... Once you start wandering into Desktop territory for Office use, you start having to justify anything past windows 7, but I don't want to bore you with that argument again, my friend
                    Fixed that for ya . I'll agree to disagree on that one. I've found windows 7 to be a nice upgrade from 7... XP is great on old hardware but the software support is so much better with 7, as is modern driver availability... I know that Intel's XP support for their newer chipsets is patchy (no USB 3.0 at least).
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 05-19-2016, 11:21 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the windows 8 Tablet I ran for a while was pretty slick. Even with only 1GB of RAM, once I swapped start menus, re-configured the desktop, and installed ModernMix, it was 85% like 7 and the 15% different was a net gain for tablets (compared to windows 7, which is meh on tablets, the on-screen keyboard is a downgrade IMHO as the writing input is a gimmick). It was nearly as portable as my S4 but especially when combined with a bluetooth keyboard almost as productive as my laptops. Great for times when you don't want to (or can't) lug a laptop. No replacement for my Latitude E6430, but very usable nevertheless.
                      Got Windows 10 on this one, but I don't dare do anything on it that requires me to log on anywhere. It's mainly for the bathroom, for watching Starcraft II replays, and the odd game of John Kasich-style Fruit Ninja.

There's got to be some sort of factory-installed spyware on the thing that can't be eliminated, because the odd command propmpt pops out from nowhere and disappears immediately every now and then.
                      Fixed that for ya . I'll agree to disagree on that one. I've found windows 7 to be a nice upgrade from 7... XP is great on old hardware but the software support is so much better with 7, as is modern driver availability... I know that Intel's XP support for their newer chipsets is patchy (no USB 3.0 at least).
                      Yes, Windows 7 is nice... Was great on the laptop, up until a month or so ago when a "security" update added rudimentary H26x decoding to IE11 and Youtube would no longer automatically prefer the flash player... The trick is to enable "enterprise mode" in IE11... But then Youtube runs in IE8 mode, which isn't pretty.

USB3 is in fact supported in XP, just not the Intel variant. Thery're also making incredible progress with the >4GB memory patches for XP 32. It takes a bit of tinkering with the drivers (replacing the odd .sys file with the Server 2003 counterpart, but it does work... Wouldn't do it personally though.

Now all we need is a DX10+ hack for XP, and coupled with the security updates until 2019, and you've got a full-fledged, modern OS.

Comment

I was a Win7 hater until SP1. After that, I warmed up to it nicely, as it functions beautiful. Add classicshell + Aero, and a few tweaks, its every bit as productive as XP....with the aero eyecandy. I do not update it beyond SP1, save for a couple standalone updates, and then I completely disable the entier WUS. MSSE still updates the definitions with WUS off, so I call it good there. Critical data is backed up to drives that are stored in a fireproof safe, so if me going unpatched beyond SP1 causes an explosion on my LAN, so be it....reload the machines and move on.

The memory came today. I didn't install it yet, I'll wait for the GPU. I also picked up a pair of X5492's (SLBBD) 3.4GHz/1600FSB, the fastest the board can take. I want to see how they do temp-wise and power-wise. The heatsinks are massive hunks of Dynatron coolers with high speed PWM fans.....so if the CPU's get hot to the point it gets those fans spinning up becoming loud and obnoxious, I'll probably go back to my E5472's....but time will tell there. They will be running at their default speeds, I don't overclock critical machines, not to mention Supermicro boards aren't gamer boards....and they are not overclock-friendly.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Got Windows 10 on this one, but I don't dare do anything on it that requires me to log on anywhere. It's mainly for the bathroom, for watching Starcraft II replays, and the odd game of John Kasich-style Fruit Ninja.
                          I had 10 on an later tablet, which I returned as it was finicky. 10 was easily configured into a 7-like state (classic shell for the win) but nuking pre-installed apps was a pain (required powershell) and even after that they'd get re-installed upon automatic (required) updates. No thanks

There's got to be some sort of factory-installed spyware on the thing that can't be eliminated, because the odd command propmpt pops out from nowhere and disappears immediately every now and then.
                          Could be a pre-installed audio driver app or something. Did you check all processes for all users in task manager?

Yes, Windows 7 is nice... Was great on the laptop, up until a month or so ago when a "security" update added rudimentary H26x decoding to IE11 and Youtube would no longer automatically prefer the flash player... The trick is to enable "enterprise mode" in IE11... But then Youtube runs in IE8 mode, which isn't pretty.
                          ...and that's why I don't use IE. Just my preference, that's all.

USB3 is in fact supported in XP, just not the Intel variant.
                          Until a few weeks ago the only USB3 I had WAS Intel (three laptops in a row with 7 series chipsets). Not exactly fixable with an add-in card, and series 6 (and older) based laptops with Renesas chips are kinda rare, larger Precisions like my M6600 (work provided laptop) is an exception. I did fry the chip in it though (I'm on a spare until it comes back repaired). Shame, as renesas is the new NEC (and why I was sure to get a renesas card for my new workstation).

Thery're also making incredible progress with the >4GB memory patches for XP 32. It takes a bit of tinkering with the drivers (replacing the odd .sys file with the Server 2003 counterpart, but it does work... Wouldn't do it personally though.
                          I do have a "less-tinkering" fix for you:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=247

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=159

That's what I do on my two Xeon Gallatin rigs. I run 7 x86 on them but the trick also works for XP, as I did that for the XP install on my Dell Latitude D630 (I wanted all 4GB of RAM to use, and the little bit was perfect as a high-speed self-clearing temp folder). If your rig doesn't support x64, you will need to manually enable PAE (don't use the batch file in the second link's .zip, I wrote it for 7, not XP). The only downside is that it only is good for 8GB, as the internal cap is at 4095MB for paging allocations. That leaves around 800MB unallocated, which I use for my temp folder. Beyond that (more than 8GB installed) it will exist as a PAE ramdisk but unusable as memory (or virtual memory) and thus is only good for volatile high-speed storage.
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 05-20-2016, 08:23 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm doing this upgrade in two phases. The first phase will consist of the CPU's, memory, and GPU upgrades, this way it can all be tested. After that, I'll swap out the drives, RAID controller, and reinstall the OS. The GPU came Saturday, all I'm waiting on is the processors.

Looky what may be on the horizon...and everyone wonders why I wanted a GPU with multiple displayports....I could really grow to like a pair of these!!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/05/del...itor-unveiled/
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I'm doing this upgrade in two phases. The first phase will consist of the CPU's, memory, and GPU upgrades, this way it can all be tested. After that, I'll swap out the drives, RAID controller, and reinstall the OS. The GPU came Saturday, all I'm waiting on is the processors.

Looky what may be on the horizon...and everyone wonders why I wanted a GPU with multiple displayports....I could really grow to like a pair of these!!

Holy $%^&! That's massive.. and I thought your 30" was huge. But where will you get the desk space?
                              sigpic

Comment

That is a pretty impressive display.

... but I think I will stick to 1024x768 on my 19" and 21" CRTs (occasionally, I bump it up to 1280x960 if really needed ). I just hate squinting at small text and graphics. 4k on a 43" screen should have more or less similar DPI/PPI as 1200/1080p on a 22". That's not too small, I guess, but I'll stick to what I am used to, though - large grainy text

Next up... maybe try to use a 40" CRT TV for a 640x480 (480p) picture. Oh joy!
                                Last edited by momaka; 05-24-2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Now that Gentlemen, is how we do that!!

Until the 43" 4K ultrasharp comes out, bugs chased, and price drops, this will do just fine!!
                                  Attached Files
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Now that Gentlemen, is how we do that!!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1464196602

Until the 43" 4K ultrasharp comes out, bugs chased, and price drops, this will do just fine!!
                                    Awesome!

The only question I have is, what is that sock doing on your desk (to the left of the mug)? I'm assuming it is a *clean* sock for wiping dust from the monitors.

Comment

Awesome!

The only question I have is, what is that sock doing on your desk (to the left of the mug)? I'm assuming it is a *clean* sock for wiping dust from the monitors.
                                      When I talk on the phone, I wrap it around the top half so its not pressed right on my ear. Fixes a few problems: the phone getting hot on my skin, keeps the glass from getting face goo all over it, and is far more comfortable on my ear....especially if I'm talking to my dad....we can go on for hours!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I finally installed the CPU's and RAM, and here we are.

Server 2008 Standard only supports 32gb of RAM.... When I reload it, I'll probably go with Win7 Ultimate or Professional. Either of those go all the way to 192gb.....but that's moot, this system is maxed out on memory and CPU. The reload is coming....but nothing I'm getting in a big hurry for....
                                        Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

I finally installed the CPU's and RAM, and here we are.

Server 2008 Standard only supports 32gb of RAM.... When I reload it, I'll probably go with Win7 Ultimate or Professional. Either of those go all the way to 192gb.....but that's moot, this system is maxed out on memory and CPU. The reload is coming....but nothing I'm getting in a big hurry for....
                                          I have the AT rig ready to box and ship... and I have everything you'll need to windows 7 ultimate it inside. Chip, 7 DVD (in case you don't have the right ISO), and a disc with the files needed to make stock 7 work on SLIC systems (all of it's legit stuff found in OEM images).
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X