*** Class Action Lawsuit Against Abit ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *** Class Action Lawsuit Against Abit ***

Is it possible to avail of the Abit settlement even if you live in the UK?

Regards,

Ronan

Comment

Is it possible to avail of the Abit settlement even if you live in the UK?
      no it was in US courts

You are a member of the proposed Settlement class (the "Class"), if you are within the United States
      Last edited by willawake; 12-13-2005, 12:32 PM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Happy days,
        ABIT UK took the board in under RMA and are repairing it as I type - £12stg to cover the P&P - just have to wait and see what they return.

Regards,

Ronan

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
          Which?

Abit VA20 is an ECS KM400A-M2 (1.0)

Well from what I've been reading online, Abit is having quite the shakeup...

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9204

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20051226A7037.html
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Its my understanding that ECS builds alot of Abits boards, and by the end of the year will build all of them. ECS builds boards for many companies, not sure which ones though, I know they used to build for shuttle when shuttle was in the mainboard business.

Comment

Here are just a few:

Last edited by MD Willington; 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM.
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I talked with one of attorney's for the Abit Class Action Settlement and he said that it was just finalized in the courts in the November/December 2005 timeframe. It is his understanding that Abit won't start sending out the packing materials to ship your boards in until after the close date of Feb 15th, 2006.

Sadly, the attorney's are just the middle men/women in this so he could not give me any details as to exactly when Abit would start collecting the boards or how long it will take to get them repaired.

Personally, I have a KT7A with three blown AGP slot capacitors but it is still running so I haven't pulled it out of service yet...

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey guys, got my board back after being fixed by Abit UK under RMA - only cost £12 and that was to cover P&P. They've used Jackcon caps on it - are these any good? Pics attached --- oh, they also attached a new fan to the board, any ideas what its for?

Regards,

Ronan
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh my god - I just got this reply from ABIT UK regarding the use of Jackcon caps ...

We do not use jackcon capacitors, those Jackcon capacitors are the original
                    on the board and they will not fail, that is why we did not change it.

What am I meant to do now?

Comment

Here's a quick update on the Abit settlement:

About a week ago, I received the packing materials to send my Abit KT7A in for the class action repair. Abit included a protective bag to slip the motherboard into and a packing slip. I glanced at the instructions (I will need to read them again) and they said to drop off the motherboard and packing slip at any UPS (I think) and they will box it up and ship it at no cost to the consumer.

I plan to pull my KT7A out this week or weekend and send it in. I will update on how long it takes to get the board returned and if it is my original board or a different reworked board that I receive. I expect it to take a while, so we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by ronanmagee
                        Oh my god - I just got this reply from ABIT UK regarding the use of Jackcon caps ...

We do not use jackcon capacitors, those Jackcon capacitors are the original
                        on the board and they will not fail, that is why we did not change it.

What am I meant to do now?
                        Goodness... this is just after they put Jackcons on your board? That statement doesn't make sense on so many levels. Sounds like the letters one receives from the Dutch "Inland Revenue".

Comment

I too just received my packaging to send back my BF6 board. It's been sitting in my basement since it stopped working. I honestly had no idea how wide ranging this cap plague was until I sent my board back. All I know is, when the thing blew up and wouldn't post in less than 1.5 years I was not happy. Now I understand what was wrong with it, and even though I don't really have a use for the board at this point, I sent it in for repair anyway (it's free, so why not?) I definately had some nice bulging caps that were tilted every which way, and at least one that blew out the bottom and leaked.

Anyway, I just dropped it off at the UPS store and they were hesitant to give me the packaging for free since the letter is a bit ambiguous about whether it covers anything but the actual shipping charge. They tried calling the 800 number on the letter and no one answered (or they were put on hold). But since it was starting to take too much time and because I had the original box, I just put it in that, taped it up, and slapped the label on it. Just a head's up to anyone that thinks it's all free, you might have to spend $7-$10 on a box or something if you don't already have one.

Does anyone know if they actually test the board before sending it back? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                            Abit VA20 is an ECS KM400A-M2 (1.0)

Well from what I've been reading online, Abit is having quite the shakeup...

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9204

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20051226A7037.html
                            LOL! Just like freakin' automobiles!

That's reminds of the fact that an Eagle Summit is the same thing as a Mitsubishi Mirage!
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriflax
                              Anyway, I just dropped it off at the UPS store and they were hesitant to give me the packaging for free since the letter is a bit ambiguous about whether it covers anything but the actual shipping charge. They tried calling the 800 number on the letter and no one answered (or they were put on hold). But since it was starting to take too much time and because I had the original box, I just put it in that, taped it up, and slapped the label on it. Just a head's up to anyone that thinks it's all free, you might have to spend $7-$10 on a box or something if you don't already have one.

Does anyone know if they actually test the board before sending it back? Just curious.

Just got 2 "return kits" for my VP6's as well. Had a good laugh at the "UPS will package the motherboard for you" part. I wouldn't really trust the average UPS store employee with something like this. Let alone would I want to participate in a half hour arguement with them at the counter to get them to actually do it.

I'm very curious to hear if anyone actually got someone at a UPS store to actually do this for them without a hassle.

Also one of my two VP6's still works fine.. so I'm wondering if its wise to send them something that is in good working condition.

Comment

I just got the following email from Abit regarding the repair of my Abit KT7A that was sent in last month. The irony is that I had already recapped the AGP area and the board was working fine -- I just wanted the 2-year warranty and for them to put on new caps where I didn't bother.

Anyway, Now I have to figure out what board to swap to (and my PC133 memory is now useless). Any suggestions from the list below? I have a Athlon 900 processor and 2 sticks of Crucial PC133 256MB. My first thought was the NF7-S2G, but I'm also leaning towards a Socket 478 replacement as you can't buy Socket A processors in retail anymore (and my luck, I'll get the board back and then my old processor will die ).

Here's the email:
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Dear Customer:

We are unable to repair some of the capacitor models. We would like to give you a special upgrade option that will have the necessary accessories that are included in the retail package. If you like to take this offer, it may require that a different CPU and memory be used and we do not provide these items. The upgrade is completely free of charge if you choose one of the following models:

AMD – Socket A:

AN7: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=158
                                NF7-S2G: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=205
                                NF7-S: (indicate v1 or v2) http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ries=1&model=6
                                VA-20: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=226

Intel – Socket 478

SG-71: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=26
                                SG-72: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=163
                                VT7: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=162
                                VI7: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=133
                                AI7: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=147

1. If you would like to upgrade to these models then simply reply to this email with your choice.
                                2. If you would not like to upgrade to these models then reply to this email with
                                A. Scan of your invoice or receipt
                                B. Top 5 models you would like to upgrade to that is not on this list.

We will then contact you regarding whether your choices were accepted. Please reply by May 19 so that there won't be any delay in getting your replacement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hmmm does this mean they are not repairing the boards, just supplying what they have from old stock. if you want a 478 board then personally i would go with the intel chipset, the AI7 was a popular board and its 865PE was a very good stable chipset.

your reasoning about cpu choice is wrong though, there is tons of procs on ebay. i have bought several and no probs. you could even post in the looking to buy section here. you have to weigh up the choices though, when you are talking about new proc and new ram, there could be the option to get the board, sell it and go with an all new current model setup

Comment

I got the same email as abernax.

Here's what happened:

• 1. I asked what the options were if I didn't like any of the free board choices.
                                    • 2. I told them I would prefer not to upgrade (e.g. if they have any spare KA7-100s, send 'em my way)
                                    • 3. "We are not able to repair your KA7-100 and the AV8 has been approved as a free replacement. Would you like the AV8?"
                                    • 4. "Given an unrepairable board, do I have any other options than the free
                                      replacement?"
                                    • 5. "We could also offer a refund of $70 as that is the calculated
                                      depreciated value of the board."
                                    • 6. "Alright, I would like to take that option. What is the next step?"
                                      "Actually... is this in the form of a check? (redeemable cashable) or
                                      is this going to be some sort of voucher?" [as in, cash, or a voucher toward a purchase of another ABIT board]
                                    • 7. "You don't need to do anything now. We will send you an AV8."
                                    • 8. "I think you misunderstood. I am interested in the refund."
                                    • 9. "We have sent you an AV8, and you could expect to receive it next week."
                                      "We are not able to give refund."
                                    • 10. "You wrote:

"We could also offer a refund of $70 as that is the calculated
                                      depreciated value of the board."

Why is this not available when I ask for it?"

Next is me calling the lawyers. I live a day's delivery away. I want to know what their obligations are, and whether I should refuse delivery.

As for the "take it to any UPS center and they'll box it" I went to the neighborhood UPS store. They told me they're a franchise and don't do it, but the place 3 miles away will do it. I didn't believe them, so I went home and called. The person on the phone told me it has to be a UPS facility. So I went to the UPS facility on my way to work. They told me they don't do it there either. But I told the guy what happened and he packed it up for me in an official fedex box with some bubble wrap. Good guy there. I told him he they should yell at the phone people so they don't end up with extra work.

Comment

I opted for the AI7 (Socket 478) after reviewing the available options that Abit presented. It seems like a better upgrade path than Socket A, has SATA-RAID, and seems pretty highly rated.

I will pick up a 2.66GHz-3.06GHz Celeron D or a used P4 processor for hopefully around $50 (with HSF) and some PC3200 DDR memory (I've seen 512MB for as low as $20 AR). So, for less than $100, I can upgrade my old 900Mhz Athlon system to about 3x the horsepower.

I may have to upgrade my power supply, as I can't remember if my old supply was ATX12V or not...

Comment

I will pick up a 2.66GHz-3.06GHz Celeron D or a used P4 processor
                                        i have a prescott 2.66 celeron, its very hot, the stock fan is loud. better to pick up a northwood and overclock the shit out of it.

Next is me calling the lawyers. I live a day's delivery away. I want to know what their obligations are, and whether I should refuse delivery.
                                        so its a $70 check
                                        or an AV8. there are 3 current ebay buy it now offers for AV8 boards - $122, $193, $221
                                        hmmmmm
                                        Last edited by willawake; 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Well now! I was just getting ready to clean up my VL6, and send it to Topcat for a recap. Now I find that Abit might/might not fix it for me. I think I'll still entrust my recap job to Topcat. I don't want to buy a new CPU, Fan, RAM, ect... My FCPGA PIII 1GHZ @ 512 Megs of PC133 RAM work just fine for me. She runs real well on my DSL. This old PIII also runs better than my Gateway P4 1.5GHZ @512 Megs of PC 133 RAM. These two PC's are programed the exact same way, and are used for the exact samethings. I still have my old AMD-K6-2/450AFX CPU. Maybe I'll just build me a killer PC arround this fine old dog CPU....LOL I still have Dos aound here somewhere too!
                                          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                          Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                                          X