NAT box vs. router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAT box vs. router?

I was reading some sites, trying to see who makes a quality DSL modem because a friend of mine has DSL on AT&T, and sometimes he says the connection flakes out, and I'm confident his ancient DSL modem is to blame. The internet light never comes on, either although it shows activity. I would have opened it up to see if it has bad caps, but AT&T is telling him that if it's working, they won't replace it; don't touch it--I think that's BS, personally.

Anyway, I came upon some users saying they built a NAT box (which I'm not familiar with) which acts like a router, to replace the actual router, and they claim their connection was improved. Is this really the case? If so, what does one need to build on? I have a some servers with dual 100Mbps which I could repurpose for this, etc.

What say you?
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: NAT box vs. router?

Nat box is a router.

You'll need
    * An old computer/laptop/netbook or a booksize computer
    * A couple of nics or a VLAN switch
    * Linux distro or Pfsense (I recommend pfsense for the quick and easy setup.)
    * SET MODEM to BRIDGE MODE
    * Some time and Patience

Although it's a bit over kill for 1-2 computers.

Frankly I would tell AT&T that if they don't replace his flaky equipment he'll cancel their service due to the service agreement he signed, I believe it's under service quality, They can't maintain reliable service.

Cancel and pursue another carrier.

Comment

Netgear makes a decent DSL modem you can get at Best Buy. Back when I had at&t I used it and it was better than the 2wire/pace stuff they give out.

Comment

You can tell it was the wee hours of the morning when I make a thread asking about two seperate matters. The problem with my friends modem is not even what I intended to post about... I was probably falling in and out of sleep when I made this thread.

Anyway, the subject of this post is what I meant to post about, for myself, but thanks to all who replied about either or. Haha!
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
          Nat box is a router.

You'll need
          * An old computer/laptop/netbook or a booksize computer
          * A couple of nics or a VLAN switch
          * Linux distro or Pfsense (I recommend pfsense for the quick and easy setup.)
          * SET MODEM to BRIDGE MODE
          * Some time and Patience

Although it's a bit over kill for 1-2 computers.

Frankly I would tell AT&T that if they don't replace his flaky equipment he'll cancel their service due to the service agreement he signed, I believe it's under service quality, They can't maintain reliable service.

Cancel and pursue another carrier.
          They will blame every but their end. If he's on dsl more than likely it's the only game in town and they know it.
          You can bypass the modem but if that drops it's still on their side.
          Played that game years ago with verizon.Thankfully a new dog was pissing on hydrants. Other than a pon switch i've had no issues since. They called to offer deals but the service and cs sucked. Joe does not live in india. Now I talk to actual local people.

Comment

Working...
          X