Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP dv7-7133nr No Video Problem Goya/Balen

Originally posted by alextech View Post
    I tested PU4602 and this is the only one that I found that has a reading of some value on pin 4. You said "pin 1", but pin 1-3 should be the same? All had value on 1. But here is the strange part, I took it off and it did not have value on the pin 4. What is going on here, this transistor is near where the short occurred. I checked the pin 4 on the board without the transistor it blinks 6.9 ohms and OL back and forth.
    mistake not PU4602
    test
    PU4006 PU4004 PU4005 PQ4009 PR4001 dont change any thing for the moment
    Attached Files

Comment

EDIT: Please do what @techtiger suggest first.

Honestly from post#1 till post#40 i didn't get it anything. I think due by english wasn't my native lang.

I assume that you have shorted on 1.5V rails, also High Side mosfet on these rails shorted D-S. That's why result reading DMM seem give us false reading. (maybe low side mosfet too)
      From the last video seem momentary on DCBATOUT getting 19V. (indicate by light of dc jack) Since on the board still have other problem that trigger protection on block charger.

In simple way to check block charger working, pull out PU4006, plug in adapter check on pad PU4006 at gate pin. what result?

If result is gate stable, then no need check block charger again.
      Next the goal is to find another problem on other rails that trigger protections.

Maybe next need to inject low volt on (DCBATOUT test point).

Comment

I tested continuity on PU4006 PU4004 PU4005 PQ4009 PR4001 like you said and no short found and no beep.

Comment

Originally posted by on/off View Post
          EDIT: Please do what @techtiger suggest first.

Honestly from post#1 till post#40 i didn't get it anything. I think due by english wasn't my native lang.

I assume that you have shorted on 1.5V rails, also High Side mosfet on these rails shorted D-S. That's why result reading DMM seem give us false reading. (maybe low side mosfet too)
          From the last video seem momentary on DCBATOUT getting 19V. (indicate by light of dc jack) Since on the board still have other problem that trigger protection on block charger.

In simple way to check block charger working, pull out PU4006, plug in adapter check on pad PU4006 at gate pin. what result?

If result is gate stable, then no need check block charger again.
          Next the goal is to find another problem on other rails that trigger protections.

Maybe next need to inject low volt on (DCBATOUT test point).
          If you want me to check PU4006 gate on the pad, do you want me to check voltage? and what is the expected voltage? Also does this require to jump drain to source again? So are you saying that just because the charger outputs 19v, it doesn't mean the charger is good? I do not believe the charger block is the culprit though, I have tried with linear power supply.
          Last edited by alextech; 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

When troubleshoot laptop I always use reference e.g schematic, datasheet, boardview, high resolution image, other's and mine experience in this forum, why since is SMD and to know how its work.

Why need to check? cause on post#36 and last video look like 19V fluctuating. So there is something not good in here.
            Does block charger circuit protection cause that or other rails that trigger? Depend what is condition on your board.

Gate PU4006 connect with ACDRV BQ738/BQ24738.

According datasheet BQ24725 (compatible with bq24738-datasheet BQ24738 not present):

ACDRV Charge pump output to drive both adapter input n-channel MOSFET (ACFET) and reverse blocking n-channel MOSFET
            (RBFET). ACDRV voltage is 6V above CMSRC when voltage on ACDET pin is between 2.4V to 3.15V, voltage on VCC
            pin is above UVLO and voltage on VCC pin is 275mV above voltage on SRN pin so that ACFET and RBFET can be
            turned on to power the system by AC adapter. Place a 4kO resistor from ACDRV to the gate of ACFET and RBFET
            limits the in-rush current on ACDRV pin.
            in simple calc 19V+6V=25, expected. maybe in reality approx 24V.

Also when put jumper on pad PU4006 (drain to source), half or more the function of BQ24738 was eliminate.

BQ series ic charger typically are power selector, its "smart' to choose (verifying good source supply) whether is come from adapter or battery. also as protection if reach threshold over voltage, over current, ultra low voltage, ultra low current.

On DCBATOUT what is the expected:
            Resistance stable with value more than 200K ohm or OL diode mode.
            Voltage stable 19V.

On post#35 all measurement in ohm seem to low, it wasn't totally shorted 0 ohm, but maybe scale on DMM didn't mentioned. Perhaps cause you put red probe on GND and black on test point. ( So, now i know here on badcaps there're 3 person using this technic, @BlueMidnight,@techtiger and you).

I always use diode mode when measure resistance on posistive rails respect to ground, more fast reading. only when value doubted then measure ohm mode. (depend on circuits and value expected).
            Last edited by on/off; 01-23-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Just want to clarify what i mentioned on post#42 and 45, should be PU4004, wasn't PU4006. Sorry my mistake.

Comment

Here I am testing voltage on PU4004 gate on oscilloscope, take a look:
                https://youtu.be/bNYZvbAImX0
                Last edited by alextech; 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

On the video you can see that when I plugged in the charger it went to 19v and kept dropping voltage. On the gate I get 3 ohms, I also tried another charger and has same result. So should I inject voltage on DCBATOUT like PR001 pin 2 to find what is getting hot? And how much voltage do you recommend?

Update: I injected 5v and 0.1 amps loaded and I can hear like a transistor clicking near EC9717, not sure exactly what it is yet but I will try to figure it out.
                  Last edited by alextech; 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Ok, I feel like it is more likely going to be the bios chip (U6002) that it is making a clicking noise, I checked on the oscilloscope and probe pin 1 and it looks like its bouncing a tiny voltage. There is also a 2 pin transistor (D2704) that is right next to it, but I do not think is going to be that one. It is also making a tiny voltage bounce like the bios, but I doubt is that.

Comment

On the video you can see that when I plugged in the charger it went to 19v and kept dropping voltage. On the gate I get 3 ohms, I also tried another charger and has same result. So should I inject voltage on DCBATOUT like PR001 pin 2 to find what is getting hot? And how much voltage do you recommend?

Update: I injected 5v and 0.1 amps loaded and I can hear like a transistor clicking near EC9717, not sure exactly what it is yet but I will try to figure it out.
                      • I don't agree inject with volt more than 1V (more than 1V that Technic for advanced)

What about if there one of High side mosfets was shorted between drain to source? you'll get more trouble. Check them with DMM diode mode first before injecting.
                      https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/be...tal-multimeter

Check these link:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46833
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35231

Here I am testing voltage on PU4004 gate on oscilloscope, take a look:
                      https://youtu.be/bNYZvbAImX0
                      • About PU4004, I think simple, lift it, plug in adapter/charger then measure voltage on pad gate with DMM. I'm not familiar with scope (didn't have and didn't know how). Pull out PU4004 means to isolate AD+ as input from DCBATOUT as output (look table again). But currently i think you've got more one problems on board.

• All your measurement about resistance not clear enough for me.

For me continuity is for measure 2 point in same rails that what we expect are both point connected, more low ohm close to zero means that's good. in subtitusion word "shorted". in example: 3V on point A (bottom board) should be connected with 3V on point B (top board), if no contiunity then we judge it was broken rail.

But, resistances (like to avoid near) more high ohm means that's good.

With help boardview (PC4118-1, seem always must add '-1' every time at each point when type on part list).
                        on post#27, if I translate correctly, PC4118 on 5V_AUX_S5_51123/VREG5 was 0.03 ohm ( obvious it's shorted).
                        Also i notice post#23 and #35. (not clear of the measurement whether are shorted/mis reading/mis scale). maybe need modify your probe with sharp needle tied with the fishing line.
                        Also avoid measuring directly at the IC pin. If your probe shorts to an adjacent pin, you will have more trouble. use boardview ( seem totally match).

• On COLOSSUS Block Diagram, page 2 all input should be high resistance and also we expect on outputs see the right table. Except for few rails e.g VCC core, CHIPSET should be low resistance, its not shorted but actually since both are million transistor also need high amperage when them load.

• Think about PU4006, PU4006 and Pu4005 only as switch ON/OFF.
                        maybe like Miniature Circuit breaker as well.

Note:
                      • Sorry, delayed reply on this thread. I was busy fighting with Dell AAL12 LA-C142P ( schematic unavailable, even High resolution image as well).
                      • Use schematic, boardview, datasheets AS REFERENCES
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by on/off; 01-25-2019, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Ok, so technically I did try 1v and 1amp the first time, but no amps were loaded and thats why I tried 5v and 1 amp next. As for the bios making switching noises, this is not meaning that it is bad? PU4004 I removed it (not lifted) and I noticed it gets 19v but drops to 0v then goes to about 8v and then again 0v and then stops and I reconnect charger and does the same thing. About PC4118, I removed the cap and replaced it, not knowing the exact reading but I placed it by same size. At this point, I cannot understand why there is a short there. Did another component cause a short on pin 17 on this power controller? Could I inject voltage here to find what can get hot? I did test the cap out of the board, and it was good, but on that pin there is a short. I did order some new thin probes for better reading.

Comment

Could my buck regulator (TPS51219) be bad? Someone told me this gives feedback to the power controller chip, is this true? Maybe this is what was making the switching noise, perhaps I got confused since its nearby?

UPDATE: I cannot find TPS51219 on this board, I did find PU4501 (SN1003055RUWR) though, not sure is it has anything to do with power controller.

PIN 1 - 5 ohms and goes up
                          PIN 5 - 14 ohms
                          PIN 13 - 96.7 ohms
                          PIN 14 - 9.95 ohms
                          PIN 16 - sometime OL but then changed to 16 ohms then it goes down
                          PIN 17 - sometime OL but then changed to 16 ohms then it goes down

PL4501 - 4.1 ohms

These caps have beep on both sides:
                          PC4504 PC4501 PC4520 PC4503
                          Last edited by alextech; 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Good idea your measurement reading are stable, a gentle pressure when probing to any points what you want to check and wait till value stop. Also in Diode mode a bit faster than ohm. (write with v, e.g 0.435v diode mode=DM)

About TPS51219. Colossus schematic wasn't totally same with Goya balen, seem Goya balen UMA version of this project schematic. There is no TPS51219 on board, I think.

Page 100, usually as ilustration of power distribution. There could be have lot same on platform/chipset ( you will find on other schematic). Only change/add a few parts, then you have other version. ( DIS to UMA version, vice versa). The alteration which wouldn't change main component/chipset.
                            As you know 'heart' of motherboard is Chipset.

Also schematic that release on web had many revision at same project shematic. mostly only first version, while the real board have been fixed due probably intermittent issue, then should be any revision. (of course on factory lab research). Although only 80% can be trust quite enough as data reference for servicing/repairing.

Actually board same with boardview with extension .brd, Did you try it?
                            Last edited by on/off; 01-26-2019, 11:38 PM. Reason: Translate

Comment

Ok here is what I learned based on what someone told me, if I inject 19v to gate on PU4006 I would get 1.6v slowly and then goes up to 4.7v on SOURCE pin 1. But this is on the original RT8223M power controller. As I was told I should change the power controller again because PIN 17 was indicating a short and therefore I changed to an equaivalent power controller TPS51123 and now I get 1.6 to 2.4v and it goes up and down when I inject 19v on gate PU4006. On this new ic chip, I get 1.7 ohms on pin 17. What could be my problem? I believe my soldering is good, I don't have pic right now, probably post later.

Before changing to TPS51123
                              PL4601 - .469 ohms
                              PL4001 - .901 ohms
                              PL4101 - 5.64 ohms
                              PL4102 - 8.05 ohms
                              PL4501 - 4.2 ohms
                              PL4801 - .875 ohms
                              PL4401 - 97 ohms
                              PL4402 - 97.2 ohms

After changing to TPS51123:
                              PL4601 - .48 ohms
                              PL4001 - 5.94 ohms
                              PL4101 - 7.4 ohms
                              PL4102 - 15.7 ohms
                              PL4501 - 4.5 ohms
                              PL4801 - 5.8 ohms (drops)
                              PL4401 - 98.2 ohms
                              PL4402 - 98.1 ohms

Comment

Guys, I found PT4601 on short again and PU4602 was on short. I replaced with good ones. Also I found PU4603 getting hot first when injecting voltage on PR4001 and checked again after removed and PU4602 got hot. I checked off board for short on these 3 components and those 2 were shorted. At this point I do not know what else to check. I uploaded a text file with ohm readings on a lot of components. What do you think?
                                Attached Files

Comment

I need help, I changed the super io because the power controller (PU4103) PIN 8 and PIN 14 was on .011 in diode mode with black on ground. Now, pin 8 and pin 14 have .859 in diode mode.

I still have another problem, PL4601 still has .480 ohms on that rail, with coil off pin 2 has .480 ohms. I checked for the cause and I could not find it. Anybody know why this rail has a very low ohms reading?

PU4601:
                                  2 13.86 ohms
                                  5 .480 ohms (.242 in diode mode)
                                  6 15.27 ohms
                                  7 10.13 ohms
                                  8 7.86 ohms
                                  9 .876 ohms
                                  10 96.7 ohms
                                  11 15.34 ohms
                                  12 14.43 ohms
                                  13 unclear reading 19 ohms then changed to 47 and drops slowly
                                  15 OL
                                  16 .480 ohms (.242 in diode mode)
                                  17 OL
                                  18 OL
                                  19 .482

C1402 and all the 3v rail have .024 in diode mode with black to ground and in ohms mode is about 50 ohms. I tried to inject voltage and only a max of .500 amps loaded. I did not find anything getting hot. I did feel the PCH get warm though. I cannot understand where this short is coming from.
                                  Last edited by alextech; 02-17-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I need to make a correction PL4601 is NOT .480 ohms, it is .480 k ohms. I apologize for the misinfo, as of now is it possible I have a resistor problem? Could this explain why PU4006 is dropping voltage?

Comment

Ok, I apologize for the misinfo, I believe my PCH is on short, but I need someone to verify this. I made a video to see what is going on.

https://youtu.be/2A7OSi33mQo

Comment

Working...
                                      X