Yet another Ratdude Supermicro project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Ratdude Supermicro project?

Scored a Supermicro H8DAE-2 for $60 shipped last week... and it came in today.

Specs: https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/mot...55/H8DAE-2.cfm

Did I mention it was NOS?

The best part is that it was listed as "for parts" because "we didn't have a way to test it".

I don't have a case or anything else for it (yet), but for the lowball price I offered, I couldn't say no.

Other than "sell it/trash it and buy a new i3", any creative ideas? I haven't ruled out tradebait if you're also into this sort of thing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 12-15-2018, 09:15 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Yet another Ratdude Supermicro project?

My thought would be stick it in that case with the dead X7DWA, unless you replaced it already.

Perhaps a little more info would help, such as who's running what....would this be an upgrade to anyone in the household....or is/would there be a specific purpose for this? If you still have any netburst systems running, replacement perhaps?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      My thought would be stick it in that case with the dead X7DWA, unless you replaced it already.

Perhaps a little more info would help, such as who's running what....would this be an upgrade to anyone in the household....or is/would there be a specific purpose for this? If you still have any netburst systems running, replacement perhaps?
      ^The X7DWA was replaced by the X8DAH+-F I'm posting from.

I have 3 netbust systems around; two are ATX x5DAL's (not compatible), the third is my irwindale box. Technically I could swap the PSU with an antec 650 I have (better fit for good GPUs, the existing ablecom has no PCIe power connectors and I hate adapters) and swap the board, but that system runs OK as-is and I think it's funny/cool to have a usable netburst system still in use (even if it won't run paxvilles). It's also not in use since it's been effectively replaced by the Emachines Sleeper... I'm toying with moving it to the garage and retiring (for now) the x5DAL I started with years ago since the latter hasn't been stable.

The other option would be to upgrade my H8DCI Twin Opteron X2 system that my wife uses... the coolers and GPUs would transfer. But that system also still runs fine as-is... and I don't like upgrading things just for the sake of such (as opposed to building things for the sake of such, which I do all the time!)

Choices, choices, choices... I'd prefer to find another case and start a new build; All of my EATX systems are 64 Bit and unless I plan to swap to windows 8.1/10, they're still usable.
      sigpic

Comment

Ever find a use for this yet? I wish I had a free eATX case, I'd take it off your hands.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Ever find a use for this yet? I wish I had a free eATX case, I'd take it off your hands.
          No. Other projects are consuming my time and toy money.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Did I mention it was NOS?
            Oh, nice!
            W/o that, it might have a dead Chipset.
            But with NOS, it might run a couple of years.

Yeah, those nForce shitsets are prone to failure - all of them...

The one on my MSI K9N2 Platinum also seems dead...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
              Oh, nice!
              W/o that, it might have a dead Chipset.
              But with NOS, it might run a couple of years.

Yeah, those nForce shitsets are prone to failure - all of them...

The one on my MSI K9N2 Platinum also seems dead...
              I've had good luck with Nforce Pro's ... I have the 2000 series in another system, and it's a daily use machine. Granted it's on it's 2nd board-- the first had a CPU socket fail one day... but I replaced it with a supermicro and haven't had an issue. I don't think the chipset caused the first board to fail.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X