Replacing Bad KZJ with Nich HZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Bad KZJ with Nich HZ

My friend dropped off her Dell XPS400 (Mid-ATX size, from 2005) complaining about a virus (I fixed it already) and running slow. One of the worst dusty computers I've worked on in a while. It's one of those LGA775 boards with the monster-sized heatpipe/radiator CPU cooler. I found 2 swollen 1800uF 6.3 volt 10x16mm KZJ caps next to the 4-pin 12v connector.

Question: according to the spec pages I found, the Nichicon HZ's 1800uF 6.3 volt 8x20mm seem be a good choice (as I have them on hand)?
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Re: Replacing Bad KZJ with Nich HZ

They will be fine. I've used HZ's in plenty, had no issues.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I think HN is a better match to KZJ than HZ.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        I think HN is a better match to KZJ than HZ.
        Yes
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Or Samxon GC. 6.3V 3300uF GC are still in stock. This value is backordered at Mouser. Good to see Nichicon is still producing new batches for them though.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

The reason why I used the HZ is because I had them on hand and was an emergency repair to the hell mobo. I tested the ESR with my 'blue' and the KZJ's read 1.4 and 1.7. Actually, I watched the ESR rise from 0.8 to the higher levels as they cooled from being desoldered from the board.

The computer seems to be working well since the repairs......
            Attached Files
            Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Is that a workstation board? The 12V connector seems to be in an odd place.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                Is that a workstation board? The 12V connector seems to be in an odd place.
                Looks like it's a BTX form factor board. That's a very common location for that connector on a BTX form board.

Comment

The board is an odd layout and the case is backwards. It's a BTX board so the access panel is on the right side, expansion slots are on the right side when you open it. I thought this was just another way of Dell screwing up their computers.

The two caps I replaced are in the top left corner of the board - right up against the back of the floppy drive and NO airflow. The CPU cooler duct cuts off airflow in that area. The CPU fan and cooler have their own duct and opening in the front of the case (it looks like a handle in the front cover).

I can't take credit for it, but kudo's to the member who said Dell stands for Doesn't Ever Last Long!

Comment

Working...
                  X