Adequate capacitors for ZX Spectrum 48K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adequate capacitors for ZX Spectrum 48K

Hello, I think it's time to recap my ZX Spectrum 48K computers (Issue 2 and Issue 3) since they are more than 30 years old.

I suppose that Panasonic FR / Rubycon YXJ (radial) are the way to go, but I want to be sure before placing the order. I'd prefer them to be axial but I think the legs are long enough so it's not a problem. What do you recommend me?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Y. Signal; 04-16-2018, 02:27 PM.

Re: Adequate capacitors for ZX Spectrum 48K

Those capacitors are very low ESR - they didn't have technology so good back then, the capacitors were more "average" ESR.

No saying so good capacitors wouldn't work but it may make more sense to use some more "average" series... see for example from more average to higher end

Nichicon PJ, PS, PW, PM , PX, HD, HE
    Rubycon ZL, ZLK , YXF, YXJ, ZLH
    United Chemi Con KMQ , LXZ, LXY , KY, KZE ,
    Panasonic FC, FD, FK

You have http://es.farnell.com/ Farnell and https://es.rs-online.com/web/ RS-Components and https://www.tme.eu/en/ TME.eu - all have genuine capacitors.

Comment

they worked for the 2 i did.

Comment

Nice, thank you very much for the information. I already have some Panasonic FC from Farnell so I think I'll use them along with Rubycon YXJ for one computer and order FR for others.

I like the idea of sticking to the original specifications although the Panasonic FR are rated 5000h to 10000h versus 1000h to 5000h of the FC.
        Last edited by Y. Signal; 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

keep in mind, the spectrum was shit - it was designed to be cheap.
          the biggest problem is it has a switching psu that generates the power for the ram.
          that fails and kills the ram, or the ram fails and kills the psu
          6 revisions and they never did get it right!
          it really DID need low esr caps, but they never fitted any because of the cost difference.

Comment

Interesting, thank you! then I'll only use the Panasonic FR and Rubycon YXJ.

I've already placed the order

Comment

It worked! thanks to the all the people that replied to my questions.

I also applied a bit of Arctic Silver Cerámique 2 thermal paste (not conductive and not capacitive) to the 7805 regulator.

If you are going to recap this computer please note that there is a capacitor with wrong polarity marked in the silkscreen.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Y. Signal; 04-18-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X