Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony KDL-40BX450 LCD. Thermistor gets too hot 10 seconds after turning on the TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-40BX450 LCD. Thermistor gets too hot 10 seconds after turning on the TV

Originally posted by Quantum IC View Post
    When I press the power button for the first time after plugging in the TV, the voltages are present for about 1-2 seconds and then drop to 0V, except for the STBY 3.3V and AC OFF DET 3V voltages, which are always present.
    Then when I press the power button again the TV turns on and all the voltages are present.
    common man.. did you read about Sony firmware it can register failure account.. what the eeprom will do if the sectors space are full...it will try to shutdown then delete the last one and turn on again normal.. log in SM and clear this register.

Comment

Re: Sony KDL-40BX450 LCD. Thermistor gets too hot 10 seconds after turning on the TV

That sounds right to me Diah, I do believe you are correct sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
        common man.. did you read about Sony firmware it can register failure account.. what the eeprom will do if the sectors space are full...it will try to shutdown then delete the last one and turn on again normal.. log in SM and clear this register.
        How can I log in SM and clear the register?
        I don't have the remote and the owner of the TV lost it.

Comment

That called thermistor is an NTC and is wide used in SMPS as inrush current resistor.
          On older designs there was a resistor from bridge rectifier to main capacitor,but since even a little value generate some power loss , they switched to NTC.
          When cold have some low ohm value to limit inrush current when connected to main voltage then heat up,resistance decrease to almost 0,no voltage drop across NTC,no power loss

Comment

I replaced the thermistor with a 2.2Ω 7W ceramic resistor because I couldn't find a similar thermistor and just as a test to rule out if the thermistor was faulty.
            This resistor also gets very hot in about 1 minute.
            I can't figure out why, if when I take the amp reading through the thermistor or through the resistor, I don't get a high draw.

Comment

I replaced the thermistor with a 2.2Ω 7W ceramic resistor because I couldn't find a similar thermistor and just as a test to rule out if the thermistor was faulty.
              This resistor also gets very hot in about 1 minute.
              I can't figure out why, if when I take the amp reading through the thermistor or through the resistor, I don't get a high draw.
              That's because a RESISTOR is not a NThermistor. the resistor never changes to 0Ω it is always 2.2Ω and the voltage drop will case heat. Remove the resistor and replace it with a NTC THERMISTOR

Comment

A thermistor will get hot. Look up temp. specs. on it. It will burn your fingers.
                I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I think you're wrong. Of course, 250W is too much, it's even above the consumption marked on the label of this television.
                  But I got 600~700mA (0.6~0.7A) and if I'm not mistaken that means around 66~77W.
                  Mi line voltage is 110V.
                  The label on this TV says a power consumption of 158 W.
                  It's an LCD TV. Its backlight is by CCFL lamps.
                  Apologies - you are right about 110VAC - I calculated wrong.

Comment

CCFL TV will have an inverter circuit. I'd still be looking closely there for a problem.

Comment

Training manual link
                      https://www.manualslib.com/products/...50-491425.html

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-04-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X