Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

ZD-917 has desoldering + iron. You can also get the ZD-915 which is desoldering only, but then you get a shitty Chinese SMPS too.

Yeah, just get the Hakko...
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

This puts my plans for an oscilloscope out the window, but I get way more use out of the desoldering gun.
      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
        Well, I have a $180 paperweight again. This time the heating element burned out. Haven't used it more than 6 times.
        According to SRA, you are likely not covered (you should point them to this thread to see if they will help?)

http://sra-solder.com/about-us/

WARRANTY

All products carry a 1 year warranty unless stated on the page. Wear items are not included in the warranty like soldering tip, heating element and IR bulbs. Customer will be responsible for return shipping to our service center. We cover the return shipping back to you.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I can't even find a replacement element for it. I'll have to open it back up and see if it has a part number on it.

Comment

I can't even find a replacement element for it.
            You are likely to find a replacement part. I can't see these generic clones using something specialized?
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It could be this one. It looks similar. Right number of wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AOYUE-C005A-...item1e9372c017

Comment

It could be this one. It looks similar. Right number of wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AOYUE-C005A-...item1e9372c017
                Your instruction manual for the 8800 might list the part? I found another Aoyue manual that specified C004, but I can't find an online manual for the 8800.

The Aoyue lists the following spares?

http://www.aoyue.com/en/products/?bID=153&sort_id=157
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Nothing in the manual. Not even tip replacement info.

Comment

The 474 is where I found the C004 reference (page 1).

Since the 474 is a desoldering station, it might share some same internals as the 8800? Funny, the manual says C004, but the ebay auction states C005A is compatible with the 474.

At $24 USD + free shipping, it might be worth the gamble if you can't find the correct part number for the 8800? Seller claims item is in Hong Kong. If true, shipping from Hong Kong to USA should be around 2 weeks.

Alternatively, maybe SRA sells this heating element for roughly the same price?
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, the same ebay seller has their own website and it is cheaper.

http://toolboom.com/en/Soldering-Equ...oldering-AOYUE

$13 USD + shipping (roughly $5.75 to NYC) = 18.75 USD.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The tips look just like the ones used in the 474/474A, and others. I know for certain it has 4 wires. I just emailed Aoyue asking for a part number. Hopefully I'll get a response. I'll do a teardown tomorrow and get some good pics of the internals.

Comment

be carefull, the ones with a base usually use 24v elements and the handheld ones are often mains powered.

Comment

Yes, I noted that when I took it apart. The element gets 120 volts. And if I recall correct, it was AC. The motor is 24vdc.

Comment

Yea..... this is why I stay away from Aoyue.
                              You fix the element, something else will go wrong.
                              Not built to last.

Did you pay by card? Maybe your card provider offers a warranty, or buy-back protection...
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Not built to be used. Just for looks. Paid with PayPal.

Comment

Doesn't PayPal give you 45 days to file a claim? (In the UK, it's 180 days.) I don't know how US law works specifically but I thought you had a minimum of 90 days warranty on goods.
                                  Last edited by tom66; 04-17-2015, 03:54 AM.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Aoyue actually has a pretty good reputation.
                                    that said, i dont know why you got that unit when a model with a base containing a digital temp display costs $150

personally if i was to buy another vac desoldering unit, it would be the xytronics model.
                                    although i would only buy the handpiece because i have a weller base that can pull a 1bar vac on the gauge - and that's pretty serious!
                                    (yes, the weller DS80 even has a vac gauge)
                                    unfortunatly the weller handpiece doesnt last and costs stupid money!

Comment

I'd still contact SRA and request a refund. I'd then buy a Hakko
                                      LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Aoyue emailed me back. The part number for the element is C088. Doesn't look like anybody has it though. I'm going to email them back and ask if they have it available, because it isn't listed in their store. I didn't know they had one with a base for $150. I probably would have bought that if I'd known.

Comment

The Sale of Goods Act says that your item must be fit for purpose.

Even when your warranty has expired if the item has not done its job correctly or lasted a reasonable amount of time you can still claim via this.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...e-of-goods-act

Don't let them fob you off!

If the unit had been used 100's of hours before the element failed then it may not apply as its had reasonable use. But after being used 6 times this certainly does apply.

Can't argue with laws

Comment

Working...
                                          X