My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: How a plasma display panel (PDP) works

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo88 View Post
Tom,
Very nice treatise on PDP and driver.

I always thought of PDP as millions of fluorescent tubes on end. I think about ways these can fail (kind of a pessimist, I suppose) and envision how lighting tubes turn black at the ends. This increases load on the ballasts which not only will be the failure of the tube but soon, the end for the ballasts.

Is this in any way analogous to PDPs? Or does such carbonization not happen in the PDP cells?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Cheers.
A similar mechanism called ion implantation can happen.

The PDP experiences very high energy discharges within the cell, which causes damage to the MgO structure of the cell. This damage must be compensated by adjusting the drive waveform as the panel ages, generally requiring a higher priming energy.

Manufacturers sometimes get this wrong, a good example being the LG PC1D series where the priming algorithm appears to overcompensate leading to sparkling pixels across the panel.

Pioneer's KURO 9G also has a minor issue with degradation, but it can be compensated for by adjusting the voltages for older panels. Mine has 15,000 hours, and the only issue is a small amount of red mist at the bottom of the panel on pitch black scenes. I could probably get rid of that but it's not visible on anything but pitch black images so it doesn't really bother me.
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote