X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
    Where did you find this!? That's a KenTek PSU which the manufacturer of is currently unknown, they should be found and shamed and also made liable for all the PCs that have been destroyed by them.
    That PSU looks like a laptop PSU on steroids! LOL!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Found this little beauty in a Compaq Presario A64.

Must have been a thoughtless replacement at some point for the original!

Fan was very stiff so I guess it ran hot and somewhat overloaded for some time in order to cook more or less every cap in the unit!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz View Post

Fan was very stiff so I guess it ran hot and somewhat overloaded for some time in order to cook more or less every cap in the unit!
        That might actually be worth a fix.

What did they smoke to label a ERL35 transformer EI-33ASG?
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

I think I saw a March, 2001 date code on one of the caps. There's a good chance to original PSU was from Delta, and if it lasted for 15 years, it did pretty good. At any rate, while I wouldn't use that thing for the full rated 300W when brand new, restored it would probably be good for 200W-250W. The two potential limiting factors would be the 2A +5VSB and, more importantly, the 10A rating for the +12V output.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The PSU predates the Compaq by some years without a doubt.

I figured the person I acquired the machine off did a quick fix and swapped the PSU out for one from a older machine.

Usually I am up for repairing such things but the weak 12V rail really means its rather useless for me in this system.

Machine however is now sporting a 300W FSP unit and it working perefctly

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz View Post
              The PSU predates the Compaq by some years without a doubt.

I figured the person I acquired the machine off did a quick fix and swapped the PSU out for one from a older machine.

Usually I am up for repairing such things but the weak 12V rail really means its rather useless for me in this system.

Machine however is now sporting a 300W FSP unit and it working perefctly
              As far as my experience goes, I used recapped Deers similar to the Mercury above (except the diodes-on-bracket were replaced with actual rectifiers) to power Northwood based PCs. (in fact,one of the PCs I gave runs a P4 2.8 Northwood with a FX5200,a MSI 845E Max mobo and a 120GB WDC HDD)
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz

Oh Deer!

It's one of their "2003"/"2005" chip-of-the-year BTX designs (BTX for Deer/L&C typically signifies the primary is located on the same side as the receptacle plug and the secondary is same side as the fan... not the other way around like with other "normal" PSUs).

That said, with a better rectifier on the 12V rail and bigger output caps, this thing could probably provide up to 14 Amps on the 12V rail, which should be enough to power a Pentium 4 / Core 2 Duo / low power Core i3 or i5 system with on-board or low-power GPU and single HDD. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle fixing it, though.

I would do it for fun, but I don't expect anyone else to be like me.

Comment

The worst trash I could find, this PSU i was installed on a pc, the owner of the pc complained that it did not start all the time, and it squeaked, and it did not work stable the pc.

Subject: 3G0 "450W"

primary
                  ate 7n60
                  c5027s
                  2 cap jay'long 200v 470 microfarads
                  ic ka3842
                  diode bridge diferent size LOL
                  x2 sep 1n5
                  x2 sep rl2

secondary
                  diode lt 338
                  switch st stps30 45cw 30A (The only thing of decent brand xD) but the transformer that accompanies ... this would cause havoc. does not meet what promises in its label.
                  apd sbr1040ct
                  4x chengx 10v 2200 microfarads
                  2x chengx 16v 470 microfarads for 5vsb
                  2x chengx 16v 470 microfarads

At least it has one good thing, it has 2 thermistors

The transformer is super tiny!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kevin!; 03-23-2017, 03:24 PM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                  Workshop PC:
                  Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                  Server:

Comment

It's sad how that can be passed off as a 450W PSU. [I'm guessing 100W maybe.]

I like the brand of the input capacitors. [jay'long]
                    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                      It's sad how that can be passed off as a 450W PSU. [I'm guessing 100W maybe.]

I like the brand of the input capacitors. [jay'long]
                      It will surely be 100W, As it requires power, it bursts xD
                      What is not as it has not yet exploded, nor the capacitors "jay long" xD.
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

What are you planing on doing to that PSU? Scrap it? Burn it? Throw it off an cliff?

Comment

What are you planing on doing to that PSU? Scrap it? Burn it? Throw it off an cliff?
                          I have thought, is to charge to burst, but for lack of machinery I can not do it .
                          I'll think of something like busting her xD.
                          Gaming pc:
                          Workshop PC:
                          Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                            I have thought, is to charge to burst, but for lack of machinery I can not do it .
                            I'll think of something like busting her xD.
                            I have a crap PSU which i'm thinking of putting 2.1KV into the input via an MOT. [Microwave oven transformer.]

Comment

woe... kilovolts... better be careful when u do that! u get zapped, its your funeral!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                woe... kilovolts... better be careful when u do that! u get zapped, its your funeral!
                                Yes, i know...
                                I've done this more then once.

Comment

switch st stps30 45cw 30A (The only thing of decent brand xD)
                                  Actually, unless it's counterfeit, that KA3842 is either Samsung or Fairchild (Fairchild bought some of Samsung's linear IC products around that time).

Those input caps (ignoring the non-brand brand) and the size of those heatsinks would put the realistic output power at around 250W maximum.
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I have a crap PSU which i'm thinking of putting 2.1KV into the input via an MOT. [Microwave oven transformer.]
                                    I dare not touch a microwave transformer xD. What I want is petarla the 450w indicated, I will put several H4 light bulbs, to see if I can overload it.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                    Actually, unless it's counterfeit, that KA3842 is either Samsung or Fairchild (Fairchild bought some of Samsung's linear IC products around that time).

Those input caps (ignoring the non-brand brand) and the size of those heatsinks would put the realistic output power at around 250W maximum.
                                    I also think it, I think it is false.
                                    Gaming pc:
                                    Workshop PC:
                                    Server:

Comment

That transformer is just... Wow!

PeteS in CA: Good guess, here is a user that tested it.
                                      The primary exploded at 277w
                                      http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

EDIT: Here it is with a 250w rating even
                                      http://www.powsun.itxpower.net/pcpower_8867.htm
                                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM.
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        That transformer is just... Wow!

PeteS in CA: Good guess, here is a user that tested it.
                                        The primary exploded at 277w
                                        http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

EDIT: Here it is with a 250w rating even
                                        http://www.powsun.itxpower.net/pcpower_8867.htm
                                        Thanks for this information, make it clear that it is the worst psu I have ever seen.
                                        I even put it at less level than deer xD.

If the psu of the forum of jonnyguru exploded with 277, I do not want to imagine my PSU, since with a pentium 4 of 65w of consume gave error to start, I do not want to imagine asking for load of 277 watts, there it explodes in my face.
                                        Gaming pc:
                                        Workshop PC:
                                        Server:

Comment

In most of the Americas, you would be lucky to get 150 W out of it...
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X