This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I'm a retired engineer (mechanical) that enjoys learning about things by way of attempting to troubleshoot failed devices. A novice at best.

Comment

Hi everyone! I am Norbert,a new member here and I want to learn things,sollutions from others.

Comment

Hi,I'm Fred from France.
        I'm interested by all about electronic stuff.

See You

Comment

Hello,

Just establishing a post so I can ask a question in the future. I am looking to try and fix my Sony KDL-46NX720 set. It has a 4 blink code and I registered so I could read some of the troubleshooting manuals posted here. Thanks in advance for having such a forum.

Comment

Hello Topcat. Thanks for creating and maintaining this forum and thus giving people a chance to learn about actual electronics knowledge and principles. I'm a latecomer to this forum but I have been in IT since 1987 when I took my first Compaq repair course. By 1990 I was the only certified SCO Unix administrator on staff in my organization. I later went into business for myself.

After observing history unfold, I subsequently developed opinions on the state of IT affairs. I have a preference for AMD hardware, I don't own any Intel hardware (except for the intel chips I am forced to have on my AMD systemboards), and my workstations run Linux. I found that it was easy to make money on Windows systems as they continually broke and the operating system is basically crap. My effort in the early days was to switch people away from Windows to Linux. That has become easier as time has gone on, as users become more educated.

I was led here as I recently purchased a pure AMD machine (Acer Predator Helios PH517-61-R0GX), which is the most powerful AMD laptop that has ever been produced so far in history, up until today anyway. It lives up to it's reputation as we get over 100fps in Elder Scrolls Online and in other games under load, it is truly a beast to behold.

I saw a video on youtube describing the procedure for flashing a Macronix bios chip with a raspberry pi, and your site was listed for informational references. I have some questions regarding modern eproms and the current state of affairs with regard to how cmos data is stored.

Comment

hello colleagues and chief Topcat,
              I am trying to repair electronic devices with faulty displays. I have identified and extracted badcaps on Belinea 19" screen ~10 years ago; Works like a charm. At present time, having inherited from a Viewsonic I changed flawed caps but it is not enough. With a little help from my friends... Regards,
              Pierre

Comment

Hi!

After discovering that at least 70% of all failures in consumer electronics is bad capacitors, I've repaired a lot of equipment...

Comment

Hello!

New to electronics (hobby), looking to repair a laptop I have, cheers!

Comment

Hello,I'm Manolo from Greece.
                    I like to fix electronics and learn more about it.

Comment

Hello, all. I own and operate an electronics repair business established 1985.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        I was trying to repair my Samsung Plasma tv because nobody works on them any more. I am very near retirement again. I have worked on elevators & escalators my whole career.

Comment

Idk what to say.. I am a "medical field" graduate. Sounds weird right but I got some soldering skills and stuff..

I guess it has become my hobby to check for bad components of electronic devices and replace them, nothing major though. Mostly capacitors etc.. Services are not that great where I live and the major problem is when official services steal precious parts from the devices I bring to them, since most of what I have is bought from abroad and the parts are really scarce~! Eventually I found the damage I cause is 100% fixable than what they do to my preciouusss devicesss

Well I guess that sums it up!
                          Will update if I think I need to add more info!
                          Glad to be here..

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                            As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                            So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                            where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                            Hello

Comment

Hi my name is Chris just need to know if any one knows where I can get a service manual for a Polaroid Model TLX_04011c?

Comment

Hello everybody

Comment

Hi nice to be apart of this forum

Comment

Greetings one and all. Am I new to this site? Heck yeah I am. hope to get me some useful information while Im here. In any case hope you all have a wonderful day, night, whatever.

Peace out!

Comment

Hi all. I found this forum by searching for for "Neovo F-419 repair", and it found the "2 seconds to black" thread, which was exactly my fault. I was on the point of advertising it "free to collector, fix it or break for spares", but I've always been reluctant to get rid of something repairable (doh! more work!). I've previously resurrected my LG TV with bulging caps, so, let's have a go with this, it seems a common fault.

Comment

Hi all, I'm Hans, from Chile, I´m a Civil works Engineer and my hobby is try to fix things!!, I like computing, robotics, Domotic and tecnology in general..

Now I´m trying to automate my house...... and for that, i have to repair and modify some old equipments..

Comment

Приветствую всех форумчан! Я Сергей, имею высшее техническое образование инженер электрик, в прошлом наладчик автоматизированных систем управления. Сейчас занимаюсь организацией электротехнических и электромонтажных работ. Нередко в своём деле сталкиваюсь с электроникой и неисправностями в системах. Расширяю свой кругозор
                                          Профессионал-не тот, кто долгое время работал, а тот, кто понимает то, что он делает... Бывалый электрик в Самаре

Comment

Working...
                                          X