Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capcom CPS1 Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Champion Editon

Hello!

I am soon to be the proud owner of a Capcom CPS-1 Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Champion Edition Coin-Operated Arcade System!

Back in the 1980's and 1990's, there was a shop on Market Street named Faulisi's Newsstand. It could have been there before the 80's, but I was not born until March 14th of 81, so I do not know. My brother would go there with me and we would play this exact arcade. They went out of business and this arcade was sitting in a garage, wasting away.

During middle school and high school, we'd sneak into Faulisi's and try taking a peak at the dirty magazines and Mr. Faulisi's would give us the boot! It was the hot spot of my town for a long time.

There is a coin-counter in this machine and it shows 44,076 quarters passed through it.

The game boots up, which is good, but this arcade needs some work. I want to replace the cabinet, replace the marquis. I want to restore it.

The current cabinet I do not think is original. I believe it's the same cabinet that was in Faulisi's but the marquis on the very top was cut to fit the cabinet and it looks more like the CPS1 board was placed in this cabinet.

I was thinking of using original parts but I am having some issues finding them. Does anyone have any experience with arcades? The coin mechinism appears to work, the jamma wire harness is there, but not all the wires are hooked up. The test switch has been disconnected. I was thinking of just rewiring the harness where needed. But I'd like to try and keep it as original as possible and I am not sure what type of connectors where on the end of those wires...

Does anyone want to help me find the parts to restore this or want to talk about it? I've always wanted an arcade. On the side, it looks like theres glued down decals, but I do not think they are supposed to be there on the official cabinet. I was looking at the Arcade Mueseum and they have a picture of what I believe is the original cabinet.

I do not think the buttons are original either. Six buttons by the joystick for each player. Top row are red, bottom are yellow. Then above the coin slots are two white buttons that I believe are start buttons. I'd like to find an original joy stick / button do-dad, but I am not certain what the original for the USA version looked like.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Capcom CPS1 Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Champion Editon

i'm not sure capcom imported cabs to the u.s., just kits with the pcb, controls and artwork.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      i'm not sure capcom imported cabs to the u.s., just kits with the pcb, controls and artwork.
      That is good to know.

So perhaps I could make a cab for it that looks really nice, or order a non-US cab? I am tempted to replace the CRT with an LCD LED type monitor, but I am not so certain I want to. I might just try and find a new CRT or a used one in better shape.

I could really use some help with finding a wiring diagram for a cab. Some of these wires have been unhooked. I think someone was trying to by-pass the coin slot at one point in time. The TEST switch has been removed, but the wires just dangle, stripped and everything. I wouldn't mind rewiring it proper like.

Comment

This site might help? http://www.jammarcade.net/schematics/

Comment

it's just jamma plus a kick-harness for the extra buttons.

btw, go here for help.
          https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/
          Last edited by stj; 03-09-2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Thank you. I do not see a schematic for my Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Champion Edition, but I am certain it will come in handy.

Anyone with experience about CPS-1 systems...I do not have to worry about the suicide battery, correct? I believe the CPS-2 used encryption and the keys to decrypt would vanish if the battery died, making the game worthless at the time (the decryption algorithm has since been reversed engineered), giving to the name suicide battery.

I see a spot for a battery on one of the boards, but it isn't used. I am trying to learn a bit here, but have other things going on that take priority, so this is going to be a long term project. I believe the CPS-1 system is the larger of the two boards, and then there's a game board, which is the smaller of the two, attached to the CPS-1. Not that I plan on doing it or anything, but could I take other CPS-1 games and use the same main board, or whatever it is called that came with this cabinet?

I think if I could find a schematic showing how a cabinet was wired up, I would be in good shape. The game plays, or so I've been told. I haven't tried because of the loose wires, but the person who originally brought it to me said he actually fired it up and it still worked, accepted his quarter, and he could play. It's just cosmetics right now that need fixing and some loose wires.

Comment

btw, go here for help.
              Yes, but on this, it's all one harness. One piece. I was hoping to find an original like that or if I could figure out where everything goes (like the test button, for example), rewire some of the not so good looking wires.

Comment

I see on the Arcade Museum a bunch of Street Fighter games.

Code:
                1. Street Fighter
                2. Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
                3. Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition
                4. Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting
                5. Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
                6. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
                7. Street Fighter - The Movie
                8. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams
                9. Street Fighter EX
                10. Street Fighter EX Plus
                11. Street Fighter Alpha 2
                12. Street Fighter EX2
                13. Street Fighter III - New Generation
                14. Street Fighter III - 2nd Impact
                15. Street Fighter Alpha 3
                16. Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike
                17. Street Fighter IV
                My understanding is this game is actually Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Champion Edition. I see the titles Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition, Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers, Super Street Fighter II Turbo

I think the Super Street Fighter games are all the CPS-II system. I wonder how the Champion Edition differs from this. I think for short, people just call this game Street Fighter II Turbo, or Street Fighter II Hyper Edition.

This is the link to the Arcade Museum, https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...p?game_id=9818

And the marquee looks like mine, just the full version. Mine was cut off and you can only see:
                HY
                FIGH
                CAPC

on the right hand top side, because the cabinet this game was put in wasn't long enough. I wonder if what's in the picture is how the official one that came with the cabinet looked like. I've attached the picture so people didn't have to click the link if they didn't want to or if the link died eventually.

I believe the original game came with those coloured buttons, the red, white, and blue ones. Where all the cabinets made out of wood? Could I just find a stencil somewheres for this game and copy it and make my own? Or are they more advanced than that?

If this was the original cabinet that was made for this game, I could just use it to make a new one. I'd rather have it have the same style. In the picture there, the CRT is much more vertical than in mine. I'll post pics later today of mine.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here are those pics I promised. It's a mess inside. The Jamma connector I think is called a Jamma Plus connector, because it has the Kick Harness built-in, but it's definitely not a CapCom part. It lists a company and contact info for it, Louise's Harness Shop.

There's some weird devices / boards on the bottom of the cabinet that I am not sure of. I took the best pic I could currently take of this, pic 11. Perhaps it's the power supply board for the CRT? They're mounted on a piece of plywood and there appears to be a huge ass transformer in the back of it. On the sides, there appear to be some weird power strips that take molex and some other funky connector I ain't sure of. There is a shiny power supply mounted on the left side (if you're looking at it from the back), but I think that just goes to the various marquee lights and the CPS system.

In pic 10, it might be hard to see, but I'm sure you can see at least some of the burn-in. In real life, I see more than the camera pic seems to show. Like Player Select, Insert Coin, stuff like that.

This is what I found on ArcadeHacker:

The design consist of a number of interconnected pcbs known as A, B and the later added C board and Q-sound board. Here's a description of each layer:

A: the base board containing most of the system hardware. eg: cpu, memory, sound, etc...
                  B: the game rom board containing a combined number of mask roms and/or eproms.
                  C (later added): an small satellite board containing a video logic custom chip, and sometimes additional IO.
                  QSound (later added): a full size intermediate board providing new sound capabilities, the board is sandwiched in between A and B.

Note: C board was introduced right after the two initial game releases: Forgotten Worlds & Ghosts and Ghouls, and wasn't part of the original CPS-1 design. Instead, its contents were an integral part of the B board.
                  So that little square circuit board, the very top most one, in picture 13, is that my C board? Where is my QSound board? I am guessing the little tiny one that has the games name printed on it is not the ROMs like I originally thought. The ROMs are on the board under that, in those DIP chips, right?

My C board has a custom made video logic ASIC it seems. That's the chip with the B-21-whatever.

Thanks!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Spork Schivago; 03-09-2019, 05:46 AM.

Comment

btw, go here for help.
                    You was right, but it's too late for me to edit my post.

I thought the Kick Harness was on the A board, and an addition to the Jamma harness. It's on the C-board. I don't know how I missed that connector on the C-board. I found a video where the guy goes over this game, with the cabinet.

https://youtu.be/f9abjfINgq0

I think I understand what he's saying. I can use a Champion Edition cabinet, or find one of those made by the company CapCom hired to make the cabinets. It's a Z type cabinet I guess.

Comment

I think maybe the SF CE cabs are the Dynamo HS-5's, and I just need to find a donor SF CE cab. They included a 25" CRT monitor.

Comment

if you lose sound, replace the z80 cpu with a z80A or B - the original is overclocked!

pcb schems are around for some cps1 variants,
                        cab wiring etc may be here:
                        http://antelopearcade.com/files/inde...cade%20Manuals

Comment

Working...
                        X