dell Optiplex gx280

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dell Optiplex gx280

So if I have a couple of 1000uF6.3v then I can use them in place of the 820uF6.3's? Even if they are bigger or smaller than the originals? As long as they don't get in the way of course.

Comment

Ok guys, I am apparently too stupid to be allowed to live. Lol. I am not a cap expert but I am A+, N+ and MCSE certified. However no amount of education prevents me from screwing things up from time to time. I need another GX280 Motherbaord. Any ideas of where I can get one and cheap? I had just soldered the last cap onto the board. I dropped a Philips screwdriver into the LGA 775 socket and destroyed a bunch of the little pins. Why they took them of the CPU and integrated them into the board is beyond me but never the less, I still need a new board. I am assuming that replacing the socket itself would be a nightmare. Any ideas?

Comment

Ha ha ha, you shure not followed any advice from the manufacturer: "remove the plastic cover only when isntalling a CPU"
        I hate this damn LGA soket, but ok there is no choice for us on this issue.

Comment

A big thanks go out to you guys and all your info as well as Chris at BC.net. Got one of them up and running! Runs great too!! Unfortunatley the other one me. LOL Waiting on a new Mobo from Hell. I mean Dell.

Comment

Hey guys, I called up Dell and it turns out that my warranty was some business gold package so they sent me a new motherboard to replace the one I messed up with the screwdriver. Lol. Oh and guess what, they have different caps already on them! No nichicon. The tech guy told me it was a huge problem with that cap manufacturer but that they got it under control now. Anyway, I don't need the caps now. I am happy.

Comment

Hey, I have a question and kinda am stuck. I received a GX280 from my friend who actually got Dell to send her a new MB and I cant figure out how to get this thing out. Its not like anything I'm used to, to be honest and was wondering if anyone could help me out. If anyone could, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks JR

Comment

Hey Guys, Bump of an old thread.

I have two GX 280's that were given to me with all of the symptoms of bad caps but none of the nichion caps are swollen. Should I just replace them all anyways and hope it works. I don't really want to invest the $20 + an hour for no reason.

What are your thoughts?
                Thanks

Comment

gobsgraham; Welcome to badcaps and sorry no-one replied to you
                  I would think it is unlikely if the caps have not swollen, that is the most likely failure mode of the Nichicon caps...

Here is a model I recapped today, would only blink it's diag lights on the back after being on for like 5 mins to warm up, no POST at all, turned on off intermittently, I was infact very sceptic a recap would fix it
                  Seeing as only 8 caps where bad, the rest are Rubycon and Panasonic and they are all fine... Here are some nekkid pixx
                  Replaced the 3x 820uF 6.3v with Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3v.
                  And the 1500uF 6.3v by the PCI slots with matching Samxon GC...

After recap it purrs like a cat
                  POST directly without any issues!

Btw, if anyone has one of those slim floppy cables for this case, part no 7F455; I'd love to take it off your hands
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-26-2009, 01:42 PM.
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

ive made my own slim cables. find one of the right length, split the ribbon into smaller ribbons between the plugs (use a sharp knife and a steady hand), stack ribbons, zip tie the bundle and there you go, a floppy cable with the cable size of a SATA cable. post if you need a few pics of what ive done.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

ratdude747; not possible, this is a very special cable...
                      On the pic right to the text "FDD" is supposed to be a male FDD +5v connector, it's been stripped straight of the PCB, not easy to fix...
                      Attached Files
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

oh

why in the #@$% would they make it like that? stupid design.
                        sigpic

Comment

is that a male or female plug? if female, find a dead power supply. cut off a floppy connector with the wires attached and solder that in there. if male, steal a plug off a dead floppy drive.

or search for "mini berg". thats the type of plug you need.
                          sigpic

Comment

Have stash of old 3.5" floppy drives? Find one with through hole power connector and take it and solder that one on. If the solder holes on other side are intact.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

No, as I said cable can't be repaired, the traces on the slim cable have all been ripped to hell

Comment

I feel your pain Per Hansson! Its a Dell ! I'm going up to my friends shop today to get a good working DVD drive. I'll look for your part too. Lots of Dell guts around that place... If I find anything I will PM you.
                                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                Rod Serling

Comment

It's ok, Big Pope said he would be able to find one for me...
                                  But thank you for the offer!

Comment

Helo, can someone help me. I have motherboard Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF, I got it without some capacitor. Is missing the following capacitors, C461, C462, C463, C464, C465, C145, C139, C160, C161, C162, C163, C164, C165, C166, C167 and C150. If somebody can send the values of these capacitors was I would be very grateful. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                    X