Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 Controller acting weird

Hello folks.
    I habe a problem with my ps4 controller.
    First here a video of what it is doing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNYjTBw_wX4
    It presses ITSELF the R2 bottom. Mostly when i move the analog stick to the left. What i already did:
    I dissasambled the whole controller (only the board with the two analaog sticks left) and the problem is the same. So now my question:
    can the problem be the stick itself (but how he can send the signal to press the R2 Bottom) or is it something else that wont be possible to find (a chip or controller or whatever)
    Would be really cool when someone can tell me IF there is the chance to reapair it by changing the analog stick.
    thanks to all in advance.
    greetings, Alex
    Last edited by storexxm; 02-19-2019, 08:46 AM.

Re: PS4 Controller acting weird

Nothing to do with the analog, it's the foam pad under the Sony flex.

Comment

I tried it with the board only... the buttons weren't even connected and it did the same. Also I tried to put something between the foam and flex. No change :/

Comment

Which version of the controller do you have ?
        I know if there is no Sony flex on the current version (5) then L2 and R2 activate.
        I'm in a job where I repair between 30-60 controllers a day. It's common to see L2 or R2 activated. Removing the foam, rotating it 180 degrees and refitting cures this issue.

Comment

but when i disconnect the flex its not really activated... its jumping around from 0 and 1... and also the left trigger isnt working properly...
          i made another video of it
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXrKKQ2IZY
          a friend told me this can be noise signals caused by a broken component
          when i move left its jumping around and after a half second it stays still...
          when i move again it jumps and stands still after a half sec..

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            which version of the controller do you have ?
            I know if there is no sony flex on the current version (5) then l2 and r2 activate.
            I'm in a job where i repair between 30-60 controllers a day. It's common to see l2 or r2 activated. Removing the foam, rotating it 180 degrees and refitting cures this issue.
            jdm-04011-3

Comment

Last edited by storexxm; 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Taken today for you.
                Attached Files

Comment

okay.. looks completely the same.. i sold is as a broken controller.
                  maybe someone else can repair it. thank u anyway-

Comment

Could be a bad analogue controller I suppose measure the pots, I see a few of these come in weekly for repair, and have replaced more than a few of these controllers. It brings in a income along with the customisation and upgrades I off to clients, I certainly would not want to be working on 30 or more daily though.

Comment

For the people who do not know, the analog sticks and the triggers share some of their inputs for the microprocessor. The button ribbon (flex pcb with the button traces) keeps part of the analog circuit high / low (don't know which) and that keeps the triggers from being changed by moving the sticks.

The issue is easy to reproduce - take any good controller, remove / disconnect the button ribbon, and then move the sticks. You'll see exactly the same behavior

Given these two pieces of information I'd go out and say that part of the flexible button pcb (I call it a button ribbon) has been damaged and disconnected, letting the pin of the microprocessor that the trigger and analog stick share float causing the issue. Replacing the button ribbon with a new one of the correct model (look for slim / pro, or jdm-040 or even just 040 when searching) should fix the issue.

Comment

Looking at your board it looks like you might have some liquid damage at this point.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1572802025
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by xmetal View Post
                          Looking at your board it looks like you might have some liquid damage at this point.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1572802025

The residue is likely the no-clean flux.
                          -Thomas
                          I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X