Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Soyo SY-6VBA133 - no POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
It is one of those Radioshack style chinese crap irons. I had a 60W one with a really thick tip but that one died. (wouldn't heat anymore - mica based, like the 40Ws I have are made - ceramic stuff is way too expensive here)
They probably used too thin NiChrome wire on it, so it ran too hot for its own good.

That said, you can buy cheap NiChrome wire online and rewind it. Maybe even make it more powerful, if you like? Or dual-power with dual windings?

And instead of temperature control, you can put a switch to toggle between full power and half power (for half power, just put a single diode in series with the live - this should be about enough to keep the iron up to temperature once it's hot enough and not over-burn the tip as fast.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
I was thinking of asking one of my friends who runs a repair shop if I can use his solderi g station (it's a Pro'sKit station) as it's temperature controlled and I might have better results.
Only if it's a good quality station.
Just because it's temperature controlled doesn't really mean anything. The cheapo Hakko 936 clones that use 900M tips are about as sad as any other cheaply-made wall / constant power iron. The iron that came with my KADA 951D+ is pathetic. Last time I used it was probably 2 years ago. It just sits down in the garage uselessly. I only keep that station for the hot air (and even that rarely sees a use anymore, but at least it's a working hot air station. The temp-controlled iron, on the other hand... ).
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote