Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

guys, this thread is money! replacing the same cap worked for me. I also saw the bulge but just needed more confirmation!

I've posted a link to this thread on samsung 260f avsforum thread to help other people out. Just fyi, I called in samsung and they gave me 90 bucks, even though it was out of the warranty period! Used 20 bucks for the replacement caps and soldering iron kit and the rest will go to further my other bad habits

Thanks!

Comment

Care to post the specifics on how to get Samsung to send you $90 in hush money? Like what phone number did you use, etc.?

Comment

Hi,

I have 4 units which cannot be turned off. They work fine but when I press off button on remote or on the unit, they go off for a few seconds and then turn themselves on again.

Can anyone help me with a fix please?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comment

Sounds like something that you could live with...? Try replacing all of the caps first since these units are known to have badcaps. There is a bill of materials earlier in the thread. Cost is under $10 shipped.

Comment

I replaced all the caps as recommended. My DTB-H260F is now back from the dead. Bought the caps from digi-key ($7.01 + $20 shipping to Canada) and had them within 48hrs. Took about an hour to do the entire job, start to finish. Thanks Bluto!

Comment

I found a number on the samsung manual and called it. I explained the issue and told them that this was the second samsung that crapped out on me. first one was a TV that had to get repaired. I also own a slew of other samsung products, I'm pissed, what can you do for me?

that was it. 90 bucks. someone on the other site also mentioned that he was able to get money as well. good luck!

Comment

Hey, my $10 gamble paid off. Ordered all new caps from DigiKey and got this thing fixed! THANKS!

Comment

I want to say thank you to all you guys who posted the solution here. My DTB-H260F was dead for a month and I was looking for a new one. then I came across this forum. My unit showing blue light for a moment after plugged in, then nothing. So I opened up and found that 1000uF 10V cap is bulged just a bit, so I went to local electronic store, not the "Shack" though, and got the "Samxon 1000uF 10 V GL(M)", the original pulled from the unit is marked "GF(M)",
                  Installed less than 5 min.,plugged it in and turn it on, Now I'm watching TV, Cost for Cap is $0.50. THANK YOU!!!!
                  I attached pic of the caps, new one, on the left, and the old one, on the right.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Replaced caps, unit now working again. Too easy, thanks Bluto!!

Comment

had the same issue. pushed power button, blue light for 8 sec.... then off. replaced the green capacitors, which were not bulged or look defective, with Panasonic, 1000uf 16v and it now works perfectly. Thanks to all this saved me some $$$$$!!!

Comment

Glad to hear it! looks like there are almost 20 people that have replied with successful fixes. And probably countless more that have fixed it but not replied (based on the 6800+ views). So how about a contest? The 100th caller with a broken DTB-H260F on this thread gets two free Panasonic FC 1000uf 16v caps mailed to them!

Comment

Thanks for all the vital information regarding capacitors. I was just thinking earlier about preparation for the inevitable on my set top box. I've had the Samsung for 4 years now, if memory serves me right, and it is still hanging in there. I may have to get a couple more caps for an older STB from another manufacturer that we have. It suffered a burnt cap about 6 years into owning it, so better now than never to replace it.

Comment

badcaps.net, bluto, and everyone who offered optimistic words of encouragement will be happy to know that my DTB-H260F HDTV tuner that failed last night is operational again tonight after a 20 minute repair (including dis-assembly, 5-min solder, and re-assembly)!!!! 1 cap (1000uF) ($1.79) plus a new soldering gun ($7.99) was all it took... total $10.28 incl tax! I'm a diy, but have never soldered anything in my life! Thanks to your tips and the youtube how-to clips ref'd in this thread, we're back in business! You all rock!!!! T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !-!-!

Dave

p.s. My kids were hoping I couldn't fix it because they thought they might be getting a new flat panel TV. No such luck for them... They're still stuck with our old 46" 2003-vintage rear projection HD-"Ready" beast! The pic is still great when watching over-the-air HDTV signals via our freshly repaired HDTV tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by d2bucktail View Post
                              badcaps.net, bluto, and everyone who offered optimistic words of encouragement will be happy to know that my DTB-H260F HDTV tuner that failed last night is operational again tonight after a 20 minute repair (including dis-assembly, 5-min solder, and re-assembly)!!!! 1 cap (1000uF) ($1.79) plus a new soldering gun ($7.99) was all it took... total $10.28 incl tax! I'm a diy, but have never soldered anything in my life! Thanks to your tips and the youtube how-to clips ref'd in this thread, we're back in business! You all rock!!!! T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !-!-!
                              Congrats on the fix!

Just one thing I have to ask, however - where did you buy your replacement capacitor? Radio Shack? (it seems like this is the case according to the prices you listed). If if is from Radio Shack, you might have to redo this again sometimes, because Radio Shack capacitors are not suitable for this type of application. You need low ESR capacitors. If you're in the USA, those can be found here (badcaps.net), digikey.com, and mouser.com.

Look for Panasonic FC, Nichicon PW or PM, or United Chemicon LXZ, LXY, or KY. All of these are suitable low ESR caps.

Comment

Hi guys. I have the same unit, and what appears to be the same issue. I'm going to give this fix a shot but I have a question. I cracked open the unit and none of the caps appear to be bulging, at least to the naked eye. Would I definitely be able to notice bulging?

I'm a noob so bear with me. Thanks.

Comment

You should post a picture. Yes caps can fail without bulging. You should replace the two green 1000uf samxon caps since they are a known bad series. If you want to replace all the rest, while you are at it, that is optional. The digikey part numbers for appropriate replacements is on the first post of this thread. Be sure to choose first class mail as you shipping option. If you are uncomfortable with digikey, pm topcat, the site owner and he will take care of you.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                                    You should post a picture. Yes caps can fail without bulging. You should replace the two green 1000uf samxon caps since they are a known bad series. If you want to replace all the rest, while you are at it, that is optional. The digikey part numbers for appropriate replacements is on the first post of this thread. Be sure to choose first class mail as you shipping option. If you are uncomfortable with digikey, pm topcat, the site owner and he will take care of you.
                                    Well, just finished replacing all caps and it looks like another success story. Unit powered up and produced a picture. The whole thing cost me about $12 bucks or so from digi-key. And a HUGE thanks to the person that posted the Digi-key part numbers earlier in the thread!!!!

And to all those who posted pictures of the finished project, thanks!!

Comment

Thxs Guys...I had similar issues and replaced 1000 UF, 10v CAP as per suggestion on this thread and viola, the box is back from dead!
                                      Appreciate your help...Cost of repair $1.25 ! Brought CAP from frys electronics...

Comment

Sorry for duplicate entry. Had interrupted connection and accidentally posted twice.
                                        Last edited by JB-2011; 10-31-2011, 11:20 AM. Reason: Had interrupted connection and accidentally duplicated entry.

Comment

Another case of the "Blue-lightless special in under 8 seconds" repaired in just a few minutes!

Thank you for this awesome message board.
                                          Also thanks to bluto and retiredcaps

On 10-30-2011 I tried an experiment and replaced a single bulging 1000UF 10V (located next to the heat sink labeled PPCD1) with a 1000UF 35V from Radio Shack (PN 272-1032) and this seemed to restore normal function. The 35V cap is bit wider than the original, but doesn't come in contact with the adjacent heat sink, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. We're watching TV again and my Mrs. is happy.

Total cost <$2 & didn't have to wait for part to arrive. If the RS cap fails, I'll report it.

I'm going to go ahead and order the complete set of caps per the wise recommendations of those who have posted before. I look at this repair mainly as “putting on a spare tire” (pre-donut sized spares) and expect it will need the full overhaul at some point. But just for the heck of it, I'm curious to see how long the RS cap will last.

Comment

Working...
                                          X