ELNA Cap Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ELNA Cap Identification

Can anyone tell me what kind (series/catagory) does the following ELNA cap belongs to:
    Colour: Black with Gold letters
    Labeling:
    FOR
    AUDIO
    ELNA
    42V
    3300uF(M)
    JAPAN
    CEW(90*C)
    I would like to understand its specifications but cannot find it in ELNA's 07 catalog.
    Thanks.

Re: ELNA Cap Identification

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0dcda63c7a.pdf
    -
    It's over 12Mb.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by Rick88
      Can anyone tell me what kind (series/catagory) does the following ELNA cap belongs to:
      Colour: Black with Gold letters
      Labeling:
      FOR
      AUDIO
      ELNA
      42V
      3300uF(M)
      JAPAN
      CEW(90*C)
      I would like to understand its specifications but cannot find it in ELNA's 07 catalog.
      Thanks.
      This is the sound quality e-cap elna made for customer like Kenwood. It is TONEREX series if i remember correctly. Quite good sound... I've built some amplifier module using these e-cap as smoothing capacitor in the rectifier.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Brian. Looks the same as the one I saw the other day except for the top part. Still puzzled why ELNA does not print the part number on the cap. I cannot find it in ELNA's catalog. Are you aware of any clone ones on the market?

Comment

The top part used to be same as urs. I trimmed the top part of the plastic sleeve as it may improve the sound quality (advice from a friend of mine). ELNA do not print part no. on the cap because it is customized part requested by customer.
          Not sure about clone one. Few things on genuine Elna e-cap.

(1) Elna E cap safety vent " -)-"

(2) Date Code: 0349 means year 2003, week 49
          Attached Files

Comment

May U Tell Me About The Different Types Of Capacitors Termination Styles On Board & If It's Shape Is Related To It's Case Size.
            For Technical , I Wanna Ask If There's A Relationship Between The ESR & Ripple Current From 1 Side And Between ESR & Leakage Current From The Other Side.
            Many Thanks To All Of You.

Comment

May U Tell Me About The Different Types Of Capacitors Termination Styles On Board & If It's Shape Is Related To It's Case Size.
              For Technical , I Wanna Ask If There's A Relationship Between The ESR & Ripple Current From 1 Side And Between ESR & Leakage Current From The Other Side.

Comment

I don't understand the question:

"Termination style" - ???? - Meaning what?
                and
                Sides of what?

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

ROFLOL!!!!!
                  I trimmed the top part of the plastic sleeve as it may improve the sound quality (advice from a friend of mine)

Originally posted by Brian C
                  The top part used to be same as urs. I trimmed the top part of the plastic sleeve as it may improve the sound quality (advice from a friend of mine). ELNA do not print part no. on the cap because it is customized part requested by customer.
                  Not sure about clone one. Few things on genuine Elna e-cap.

(1) Elna E cap safety vent " -)-"

(2) Date Code: 0349 means year 2003, week 49

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    ROFLOL!!!!!
                    I trimmed the top part of the plastic sleeve as it may improve the sound quality (advice from a friend of mine)
                    To be frank, i found no improvement after the modification.

Capacitor termination style depends on part mounting process, capacitor size and application. Machine insertion part must be in straight lead or formed lead with taping. Kinked lead is for manual insertion. The snap-in type is usually for heavy capacitor (big size). It holds the capacitor tightly on the PCB (application in vibration environment).

Low ESR capacitor can handle higher ripple current due to less heat dissipation ( losses ).

I am not sure... i think there is no relation between ESR and leakage current. Low leakage current cap is usually used in timer circuit.

Comment

i guess i cant resist laughing at audiophool nonsense!

Comment

Yo!
                        Every hobby has it's nonsense.

But what would the world be without color?

I used to visit a site that was all into mods to and overclocking IBM XT's.
                        You know, like a 4.77 MHz CPU. (Yes, that's Hz with an "M".)
                        This was in 1999/2000-ish too. 486's were already 'old'.

Overclockers in general crack me up.
                        Sure you can see the improvement on some data report/readout but like that tiny bit of improvement is even perceivable by human senses.

But then again when I was into cars I'd do silly sh*t like polish the internals of carburetors.

To each his own, you know.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Thanks Brian. You helped me cleared all the questions on this particular cap.

Comment

I have the same caps, but no signs of date.

Only a code: 7528U
                            Attached Files

Comment

28th week of 1975 - in other words, fakes.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                28th week of 1975 - in other words, fakes.
                                Oh!?

But I took them from inside a mini Kenwood system similar to that below...

Comment

Oh, in that case, those letters don't represent the datecode... I got confused because Capxon does put date codes on big snap in caps like that on the top...
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    Oh, in that case, those letters don't represent the datecode... I got confused because Capxon does put date codes on big snap in caps like that on the top...
                                    I just cut right now the top black cover to inspect and it looks like this!

Good sign??
                                    Attached Files

Comment

It's all about the vent style.
                                      Everyone knows that K vents sound the best.
                                      Those look like sword vents. Very muddy sound.
                                      Ks will really open up the mids and highs.

36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                                        It's all about the vent style.
                                        Everyone knows that K vents sound the best.
                                        Those look like sword vents. Very muddy sound.
                                        Ks will really open up the mids and highs.

But, most of the modern "K" marks are for those caps used in the signal path, right? And that these usually are "audio grade" mid-to-small caps, and not that good for the "power supply"??

BIGGER Power supply caps shouldn't have high ripple current capabilities and lower ESR??
                                        I've been told that BIG "sword" signed caps are pretty good for the power supply part (but not for the signal path).

But I saw very nice high grade audio caps with the "sword" mark on it (ELNA SILMIC II)

Comment

Working...
                                        X