LG 60PZ950 purple and green color artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PZ950 purple and green color artifacts

The color artifacts seems to change flickering at times and steady other times on background and faces. After tv warms up it seems to get worse. I've checked external input conntections and have tried different HDMI inputs. Problem persists.
    Purple on menu bar picure and green with some blues on garage of other picture.
    I've also noticed a flickering of brightness of the green field when watching football games. Other times when a different scene comes on the problem goes away.

Not sure if related but sound quality at times sounds distorted.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: LG 60PZ950 purple and green color artifacts

Looks like one of the main voltages (Vs, -Vy or Vsc) could be wrong, possibly drifted out. To adjust, you need to have a digital multimeter and the back of the set off.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I set the voltages dead on. Prior voltage close within 1 volt.

Now

Vs = 201
      Va = 55
      Vy = 180
      VSC = 150

No noticable difference.
      Attached Files

Comment

BTW. adjustments made while in white screen mode.

Comment

OK, can you post a picture of the whole back chassis, showing all the boards?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

back of 60PZ950
            Attached Files

Comment

Bottom left board here
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1385834586

Do you see two points marked EXT AUTO GEN?

Comment

No. I looked at all visable boards and couldn't find.

Comment

Can you post a close up picture of the board I referenced. That position should be marked there somewhere.

Comment

60PZ950 control board
                    Attached Files

Comment

OK, it's not marked on this board, but the blue holes should be jumpered. Then the red connector should be unplugged. TV should then be plugged in. You should get test patterns. Are they poor?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by tom66; 11-30-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Sorry about all the reflections. Best I could do with light conditions.
                        Artifacts apparent here as well. Test was moving and changing colors took pictures of artifacts on white screen.
                        Noticed IR at bottom of screen.
                        Attached Files

Comment

OK, top right board:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1385834586

Can you see any points marked "Vzbias"? What do you measure across them?

Comment

VZB = 120

I set it to 110.
                            Rechecked other settings. They are the same.

Vs = 201
                            Va = 55
                            Vy = 180
                            VSC = 150

Comment

OK, on the Y-sustain, you should have some potentiometers (adjustments, like on the PSU for Vs and Va) marked SET UP or RAMP UP, and SET DN or RAMP DN. Unfortunately you can't measure the voltage for these settings, so it is trial and error. Mark the original factory setting (a marker pen works.) Then try SET DN. Try to reduce the clouding. If that fails, try SET UP.

Comment

Tried tweeking set_up and set_dn pots made a slight difference but problem remained. Returned those to original setting. However, I recheck voltages on other test points all were fine except Vy = 166 Set it back to label setting of Vy = 178. (Don't ask me where I got the Vy = 180 on earlier post.)

Comment

I have the tv working again without the artifacts.
                                  The upper right hand board, VZB board ( z-bias?) has 3 copper coils that appeared to get very hot discoloring the pcb. I took the board off and observed the solder joints on the back, noted on attachment circled in red. Resoldered the joints now circled green. Picture is now back to normal.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

If Vzb is good, there is nothing further to suggest but try adjusting voltages for best image. Perhaps panel has problem and firmware update can fix it, which was an issue with early LG plasmas.

Comment

Tom66 tv is fixed. Loose solder joints were the problem.

Comment

That's good to hear but I can't see how those caused that fault. They are ERC inductors... Anyway, enjoy the TV!

Comment

Working...
                                        X