Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

panasonic tc-p50s60 bricked after firmware update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

panasonic tc-p50s60 bricked after firmware update?

I was updating the firmware on my panny plasma tc-p50s60, and at the end of the process when the TV prompts me to remove the USB drive, and hold the power button for 5 seconds (the TV is supposed to automatically come back on after this) the TV turned off and hasn't come back on since.

There is no blinking red codes, just a solid red LED. As if the TV is stuck in standby mode. If I hold the power button on the TV in for 5 seconds the red LED will turn off, but as soon as I let go of the power button it comes right back on (no blinking). I've tried hard resets by holding volume - on the tv and menu on the remote, but to get any sort of response for that I have to first hold the power button for 5 seconds until it turns off, then I hold volume- and menu for about 10 seconds and I get a quick burst from the LED of about 5 blinks. After which it just goes back to being a solid red.

I've unplugged all components and power cables and let it sit for over an hour. I removed the back of the TV just to see if I could spot anything out of sorts, but everything looks fine. As soon as I plug the TV back in the solid red LED lights up and the TV won't turn on.

So I've been after this all day long. Any feedback or suggestion is greatly appreciated as before today I didn't know a whole hell of a lot about troubleshooting TVs. I found the service manual online and even found/ordered a new A-Board as that's what I'm thinking is the issue.

Could it just be that the firmware update didn't complete properly and now I've got a very heavy paperweight on my kitchen table for now? The new mainboard was just under $100 and took forever to find in stock.

Attached Files

Re: panasonic tc-p50s60 bricked after firmware update?

Is it possible for you to try the firmware update again?
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I've tried, but the screen doesn't come on, so it's kind of difficult. I've inserted the usb stick again while the red light is on, and attempted to put in the correct inputs with the remote to do it again but haven't had any luck.

I recently found a pretty comprehensive technical guide put out by Panasonic's "National Training Department" in 2013 that has all the board lay outs, connection locations and trouble shooting flowcharts. Most signs are pointing toward replacing the main or 'A' board, but I haven't broken out the multi-meter yet. I already ordered the A board so I'll see what happens after I get that.

Comment

Originally posted by mushchampion View Post
        I've tried, but the screen doesn't come on, so it's kind of difficult. I've inserted the usb stick again while the red light is on, and attempted to put in the correct inputs with the remote to do it again but haven't had any luck.

I recently found a pretty comprehensive technical guide put out by Panasonic's "National Training Department" in 2013 that has all the board lay outs, connection locations and trouble shooting flowcharts. Most signs are pointing toward replacing the main or 'A' board, but I haven't broken out the multi-meter yet. I already ordered the A board so I'll see what happens after I get that.
        If it fixes it and you're confident it's bricked you can order the IC loaded, just a matter of desoldering the old and on with the new. Advanced soldering skils

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
          If it fixes it and you're confident it's bricked you can order the IC loaded, just a matter of desoldering the old and on with the new. Advanced soldering skils
          An advanced solderer I am not. I'm intimidated to even get the multi-meter out to test Voltages. The Technical Guide I found goes super in depth with a lot of terms I'm not familiar with.

Comment

An advanced solderer I am not. I'm intimidated to even get the multi-meter out to test Voltages. The Technical Guide I found goes super in depth with a lot of terms I'm not familiar with.
            Well, keep the old board just in case you find someone who can or maybe reflash the chip.

Comment

Re: Panasonic tc-p50s60 bricked after firmware update?

Update : I Received and installed the new A-Board. I plugged in the TV expecting my problems to be solved but alas now the LED is blinking 6 times.

So after consulting all the documents I previously gathered

I was hoping it would be just a loose connection on the A-board I just installed, but after rechecking all the ribbons and connections everything seems to be properly connected.

When I was removing the ribbon connections from the old board one of them took a bit more force than the others to come out, resulting in this :

(click to zoom, then expand to actual size)

I don't know if that could be causing the 6 blinks or not, it doesn't look especially damaged to me, but idk if minor scrapes/dents in those ribbons is enough to cause failure.

I went ahead with the troubleshooting flowchart

After disconnecting the SC Board and plugging the TV back in, I still get 6 blinks, but it takes a lot longer(+11 seconds) for the blinks to happen. According to the flowchart that means the SC Board needs to be replaced.

The good news is SC Boards are in stock on multiple websites and go for as low as $30. Finding the A-Board replacement took hours of scouring to find in stock and cost $94.

My concern is if I buy a new SC Board and put it in, will that be the end of it? Will it solve the problem or just present a different one? Do I have to replace the buffer boards (SU and SD) as well?

I guess at least for now I have a real error code to work with
              Last edited by mushchampion; 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Is the suffix sticker exactly the same as your old mainboard? It is a white sticker with "TXN/A..... "

Maybe you just checked the TNPH number only.
                I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

The new mainboard came with a long white sticker reading TXN/A1USUUS. However, the old board has no such sticker. They have Panasonic's suffix grid and the jumpers are in the same location on both boards. The new board even has the suffix written with a black sharpie on the board above TNPH1046 (UB).

Comment

The new mainboard came with a long white sticker reading TXN/A1USUUS. However, the old board has no such sticker. They have Panasonic's suffix grid and the jumpers are in the same location on both boards. The new board even has the suffix written with a black sharpie on the board above TNPH1046 (UB).
                    It's the right board

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the SC Board, I figure what's another $30(45 w/ shipping) if it saves me buying a new tv. I really love my Panasonic Plasma, and I got it for next to nothing from Sears shortly after Panasonic announced they wouldn't be making plasmas anymore.

I'll update again next week when I get the new SC Board.

Comment

try the old a board back in .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                          try the old a board back in .
                          Tried that as well, and got the original result. With the old A-Board the red LED just comes on and stays on, never blinks. TV Still doesn't work.

Comment

i guess you need to re-flash the ROM ic.find a programmer and re-programme tha ROM ic.
                            RT809F or RT809H (find the bin file)

Comment

Update : got the new SC Board, installed it. Still getting 6 blinks. I tripled checked all the connections and screws before I even plugged the thing back in.

I'm all out of ideas on what the issue could be. Really don't want to go in on more parts (the SU and SD Boards).

Also about all out of patience, guess I'm going to start looking into new TVs.

Comment

Where did you get the board?

Comment

tvpartstoday.com

Same place I got the A-board

Comment

Should be good then. Formally tristate module. i have yet to receive anything bad from them, anything but it is possible to get a bad part but i can tell you they have called me before they shipped an order of multiple parts to let me know one was damaged and failed test so the order had to be modified.

Comment

You should not have bought the sc board to be honest. I get it , you want the tv to be working again but dont go buy random boards. Waste of money.
                                      Just looking at the picture you provided i think you received a bad A board ( mainboard ). But that is just a guess.

Can you take a clear picture of the SC board? Especially the bottom left area , is there a SC50 jumper? ( between 2 white connectors )

If so , remove the 2 buffer boards or make sure they DONT touch the sc board. Use a harddisk jumper or something else and short the 2 pins. Turn on the tv and see if it stays on.
                                      What it does is turning on the tv without sending a image to the panel. If it stays on you got bad buffer boards.

If the 6 blink error stays on BOTH sc boards your problem seems to be the mainboard. I will look in the service manual when i get home.

Let me know what the outcome is!
                                      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ps , with the old mainboard installed im sure you tried the power button on the remote itself? It wont come out of standby with the power button on the tv or other buttons.
                                        Also double check the SC20 cable , release both hatches and pull them open untill they cant go any further. Take the SC20 connector and slide it in. Maybe clean the sc20 cable wih some alcohol and look inside the connector.

It happened to me once that i had a faulty sc20 cable due to heat/dust etc
                                        Last edited by Moreno83; 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X