Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes "clicking and popping noise" on Audigy cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What causes "clicking and popping noise" on Audigy cards?

Thanks for post willawake, I will consider them during my next purchasing.

Thanks for suggestions.
    Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

After reading about new op-amps in the op-amp market featuring "no pops and clicks", I think a solution may be finally feasible.

I've been looking at this aswell as other new ones came in farnell last month:

LM6171AIM/NOPB — NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR — Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp) IC New
      LM6171AIM/NOPB — Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp) IC — 1496188 Image is for illustrative purposes only.
      Please refer to product description

Manufacturer: NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR

Order Code: 1496188

Manufacturer Part No: LM6171AIM/NOPB

RoHS : RoHS Compliant Yes
      Description

* Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp) IC
      * Number of Amplifiers:1
      * Bandwidth Max:100MHz
      * Slew Rate:3600V/us
      * Package/Case:8-SO
      * Leaded Process Compatible:Yes
      * Peak Reflow Compatible (260 C):Yes
      * Supply Voltage:16V
      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Fizzycapola, LM6171 isn't new, maybe just the lead free version is. Many feel bipolar opamps don't sound as good as jfet (input), though if you were wanting to directly drive low Z headphones then it's higher than average current capability would be a plus.

Regardless, when one talks of opamps more immune to clicking or popping I think it's generally in one specific context, when some of them are powering up or down (only once per power cycle, turning on or off the equipment) they have an instable voltage range below their minimal spec'd voltage. You wouldn't be seeing that problem while using a system continually turned on, rather it seems the opamp is getting this output from the sound processor due to the PCI bus problem others have mentioned.

I may be wrong, but I have built a few headamps including using LM6171. What you might do is temporarily solder on jumper wire to the opamp input pin for L & R channels and to ground, talking all three wires to an off-board headphone jack. This takes the opamp out of the loop and you can directly drive the next stage to see if the pops and clicks are already present before the opamp's involvement. Hooking this up to a scope instead of headamp or headphones would be even better.

Comment

Me,,
          I just unplug the damned speakers...
          There's a 4 foot high stack of Kenwood right behind me....
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X