re-cap network equip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-cap network equip

I never thought of this, but i really like the idea...

i wonder if i could get some "non-working" cisco equip and re-cap the life out of it? that way i could hopefully get a cheap lab out of it all

im goign to check the net for market of not-working equip if theres even one out there, then take a peek at the 2600 and 2800 i have to see what i might be working with. but if rough memory serves me right then i dont recall many caps inside them though..

bad idea?? i guess i would never know what im getting like that since it would be doa as-is, or i could check the local collage for bad equip ? ?

Re: re-cap network equip

maybe bad psu sometimes too.
    hp procurve is interesting also
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The best place to pick up stuff is at large auctions, or when colleges are having a public auction. I scored 4 bay networks, 24 port 10/100 rackmount switches for $15, plus whatever else was on the table. Keep an eye out for public auctions. There are always tons of them, and every now and then, you will get a score, just keep the radar open.

Comment

You don't only have to recap it. You can replace transistors and ICs too. Haven't seen these kinds of problems on real pro networking gear.

The large companies who use it also tend to replace and not repair.

Comment

Most large companies (98% if i recall correctly) that have Cisco gear have SMARTnet maintenance which includes next business day or faster hardware replacement. So companies tend not to repair.

Cisco will repair the defective item either itself or through some 3rd party and then put it back into the SMARTnet pool. If that exact same item (they have all unique serial numbers) is repaired more than 3 times, it is junked/recycled.

So if you find junked Cisco equipment, the chances for "recapping" for a fix is very slim. It is probably more serious than that.

If you want Cisco gear, you can try and find used CCxx equipment or use a software/website that simulates the Cisco IOS CLI and do you work from there.

Originally posted by NxB
          The large companies who use it also tend to replace and not repair.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Cisco have the software package Packet Tracer which simulates a full network and simulates the Cisco IOS Operating System. Having said this, it is not exactly the same as the real hardware...there are some differences between the simulated IOS and the real IOS running on hardware.

Comment

Thanks! Didn't know about the simulator. I need to learn this as I feel like a newb when I console into these.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                Cisco have the software package Packet Tracer which simulates a full network and simulates the Cisco IOS Operating System. Having said this, it is not exactly the same as the real hardware...there are some differences between the simulated IOS and the real IOS running on hardware.

Packet tracer has come a long way, its a 5.2 now. Its good for basics, thats about it. OSPF can cause to crash if you look at it the wrong way, frame relay is buggy specially sub-int, no bgp, lot of switching capability stripped.

From what i hear, the simulator is made by seperate company, and only select cisco features are implimented, BUT WAIT! NOT only that: the features are implimented how ever that company wants, so sometimes its not exactly how the IOS behaves!

sometime causes headaches for profs becasue some people teach them selves by actually simulating in PT. Sooooooo Students read the book and jump to the simulator, packet tracer, and things dont work and/or different.

I would suggest a cisco emulator. The ONLY one that i know of it
                GNS3, which is combo of dynamips,dynagen,pmu all in once nice gui.

GNS3 uses REAL IOS IMAGES, so its the real deal. you can setup very complex networks as long as your CPU can handle it.

my c2duo 1.8 is %50 with 7x 3750s idling.
                Last edited by mattch; 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                  Most large companies (98% if i recall correctly) that have Cisco gear have SMARTnet maintenance which includes next business day or faster hardware replacement. So companies tend not to repair.

Cisco will repair the defective item either itself or through some 3rd party and then put it back into the SMARTnet pool. If that exact same item (they have all unique serial numbers) is repaired more than 3 times, it is junked/recycled.

So if you find junked Cisco equipment, the chances for "recapping" for a fix is very slim. It is probably more serious than that.

If you want Cisco gear, you can try and find used CCxx equipment or use a software/website that simulates the Cisco IOS CLI and do you work from there.
                  ya you are right, most they brought service contracts,
                  when equipment were bad, we replace them, either by buffer stocks or few days later by cisco.

To NxB:

packet tracer is great for beginners.
                  GNS3 is great to start as it supports real IOS.
                  ios software may be harder to get / download @ cisco as you need an account to access

Comment

Originally posted by ant3202
                    ya you are right, most they brought service contracts,
                    when equipment were bad, we replace them, either by buffer stocks or few days later by cisco.

To NxB:

packet tracer is great for beginners.
                    GNS3 is great to start as it supports real IOS.
                    ios software may be harder to get / download @ cisco as you need an account to access
                    find the name of the IOS image and google that, you will get:
                    -documentation on that image from cisco
                    -file sharing sites that host it.

Comment

GNS3 it is.

Comment

This is due to security regulations set out by the USA. Many IOS images contain 3DES or equivalent and certain countries are not allowed to use these images.

That is why you have to register, verify your country of origin, click on agreements, etc.

This restriction was in place well before 9/11.

Originally posted by ant3202
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

stupid restriction,
                          most encryption was developed by hackers in other country's - maybe the u.s. shouldnt be allowed to use them!

Comment

funny, I actually got a Cisco SRW2048 from goodwill for $20 today (MSRP ~$800). It turns on, and actually boots up, but does act kinda wierd after a while (dropped packets, etc). True enough, 22 bad 6.3 1500's. I just ordered some ruby's from topcat and I bet it will work since he switch does generally work, but has stability issues. the outside is VERY scratched up so I probably won't sell it unless I run into a local business that needs one for work. other then that, i'll probably use it in our shop

way to go linksys, fail an $800 switch, with $10 worth of cheap Chinese or Japanese caps
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Wow, TopCat gets a Mac for $10 at Goodwill and now this. I should drop in my goodwill once in a while to check this out. :-)

You definitely snagged a great deal for $20.

What brand are the failed caps?

Don't forget that these switches run 24x7 and depending on the AC or lack of AC, these switches can be cooked to death all day long which would accelerate the death of the caps.

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                              funny, I actually got a Cisco SRW2048 from goodwill for $20 today (MSRP ~$800). It turns on, and actually boots up, but does act kinda wierd after a while (dropped packets, etc). True enough, 22 bad 6.3 1500's.

way to go linksys, fail an $800 switch, with $10 worth of cheap Chinese or Japanese caps
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

haha.

I also got one of these
                                http://www.superwarehouse.com/Promis...15100/p/341172

for $100. totally works, and had 7 working 200gb drives in it. its good to know the guy who runs the place

the caps are "Stone". which look almost like an american brand. Actually every cap is Stone, but only the 1500 6.3's are bad

hehe. if topcat is looking for more space to store peoples attachments, i'm sure I can sell it to him and he can fill it with 2tb drives in a massive 28tb raid 5 array. Uses a scsi 160 ultra high density connector (external)
                                Last edited by Uranium-235; 06-10-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I thought goodwill was just about clothes? I don't expect to see electronics there. I'm definitely go to drop by and see what I can get for $10 or $20.

How about a pic of the "stone" cap? The first hit on the search engine is

http://www.ystone-led-capacitor-manu...nufacturer.htm

its good to know the guy who runs the place

the caps are "Stone". which look almost like an american brand. Actually every cap is Stone, but only the 1500 6.3's are bad
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

well, there is also good will "Computer Works". In our area (DFW) All the computer equipment donated gets shipped to he goodwill HQ store, which processess it, tears it down, and re-sells it by the pound, some to Dell, some as 'refurbished' to the community, and sometimes if you can kiss enough ass and know enough people, you can get stuff good priced. but then again, some stuff is priced insane. I got the vtrak for $100 but a 512M stick of PC-133 untested can be $50. the head guy there is good at making deals with independent buyers of stuff by the pound, but does not know that some stuff isn't worth crap

and yup, that is the brand. These are the 'XR' and 'XS' series. I should not judge it by the fact there is no Chinese characters on it, and its written in a nice 'times new roman' font

Comment

Both XR and XS series are rated for 2000 hours. So if the switch has no AC I can see the temp rising. I believe I read for every 10C temp increase, the life of the cap decreases by 1/2.

8760 hours/year. Assuming this switch is 3 years old, that would be 26,280 hours. So with some rough "math"

2000 hours @ 105C
                                      4000 hours @ 95C
                                      8000 hours @ 85C
                                      16000 hours @ 75C
                                      32000 hours @ 65C

Linksys switches are typically NOT found in an AC environment.

These are the 'XR' and 'XS' series.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

it has 3 side fans, which are in working condition

Comment

Working...
                                        X