Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me find a replacement power supply!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me find a replacement power supply!

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for this old "slim ATX" power supply. I have an old case in the slim ATX form factor that I want to turn into a home theater PC with "new" (not that new) parts, however the power supply is quite under powered, only about 300w. The make and model is a Macron Power MPT-301

the dimensions for the PSU are as follows:
    155mm x 120mm x 85mm

Does anyone know of any compatible power supplies that would fit?

I've attached some photos so y'all can see
    Attached Files

Re: Help me find a replacement power supply!

What hardware are you planning on using ?

Comment

Looks like regular ATX to me. Just that they made a slim opening in the back.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        What hardware are you planning on using ?
        AM2+ Phenom X4 9950. I was going to use 4x4 ddr2 sticks, but for some reason they stopped working after a bios update

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        Looks like regular ATX to me. Just that they made a slim opening in the back.
        it's not, it's skinnier and longer, and an ATX PSU does not fit into the case, see attached pics
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Skunch; 09-22-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunch View Post
          AM2+ Phenom X4 9950. I was going to use 4x4 ddr2 sticks, but for some reason they stopped working after a bios update

it's not, it's skinnier and longer, and an ATX PSU does not fit into the case, see attached pics
          It looks similar to TFX, but seems taller (almost looks like they took a standard-ATX PCB and turned it sideways and slapped the fan on top). It might be some now dead proprietary form-factor that won't have a "drop-in" replacement. TFX could probably be made to work, but may not be a perfect fit.

Last edited by dmill89; 09-22-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I found this

https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/250...LTATX350SD.php

you could try to find a higher version of that slim PSU, I don't know the form factor offhand but i've seen them before

they say it has "-5v" like the original but pin 20 is -5v on standard ATX
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Yeah it's an oddball form factor from days long past. I saw an image in google with a graph showing psu dimensions, and I thought it was "slim atx", though I cant find that anywhere now.

Looks like I'm gonna have to fab an adapter plate for a more modern cpu, as I'd like something in the 500+ watt range

Comment

Yeah it's an oddball form factor from days long past. I saw an image in google with a graph showing psu dimensions, and I thought it was "slim atx", though I cant find that anywhere now.

Looks like I'm gonna have to fab an adapter plate for a more modern cpu, as I'd like something in the 500+ watt range
                Cobble the "mounting surface(s)" off of the old power supply and use that as a bracket (mount new PSU to it!).

Comment

an old 300w psu and a modern "500w" psu probably have the same output capability frankly.
                  so much bs is on psu stickers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    I found this

https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/250...LTATX350SD.php

you could try to find a higher version of that slim PSU, I don't know the form factor offhand but i've seen them before

they say it has "-5v" like the original but pin 20 is -5v on standard ATX
                    Ah yes, I have run into that as well. I would absolutely buy that if I had an on board video solution that was compatible with windows 10. Unfortunately theres no support for an onboard radeon x1200, and if there was it's 720p performance is lackluster

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                    Cobble the "mounting surface(s)" off of the old power supply and use that as a bracket (mount new PSU to it!).
                    Yeah, I'll probably have to use the psu that fits as a donor bracket, as converting a regular psu backplate to fit will be a hassle. I can also cut an old side panel of a case I dont care about, I've got lots of those to spare.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    an old 300w psu and a modern "500w" psu probably have the same output capability frankly.
                    so much bs is on psu stickers these days.
                    I agree psu labeling can be very bs, but it's got very few cables, it's not very useful
                    Last edited by Skunch; 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

maybe instead of making brackets etc, you can pit a new psu board into the old macron case?

Comment

those were originally POS machines. You want to use it for a htpc? for what? youtube?

Comment

AM2+ Phenom X4 9950.
                          Not to sound like a grouch, but a 1st gen Phenom X4 in a small case like that is not a good idea at all. It's going to run very very hot and likely neither the motherboard nor the video card will survive for long in that PC.

As to the topic in hand...

Macron actually made some pretty decent PSUs that could meet the specs on their label. With 15 Amps on the 12V rail, this PSU should be enough even for the Phenom X4, provided you use integrated or some low-power GPU only (under 30 Watts TDP)... which makes sense anyways, since you're going for an HTPC and not a gaming PC.

The only downfall of those Macron PSUs are the caps. At this age, yours is probably overdue for a recap (if you plan to reuse it, that is.)

I did one a while back and I still use it.
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2230

I also have a newer MPT-401 (400W) PSU. Looks pretty similar to the 301, but just built with bigger parts. All in all, both are solid PSUs. Probably quite a bit dated for a modern PC (you'll be lucky to find any SATA connectors on these), and their efficiency is not the best, but they still work well.

With that said, your Phenom X4 would be quite a stretch for just about most small form factor PSUs. Many don't go more than 300-350 Watts... though the newer designs do offer more current on the 12V rail, which is what matters here. Just be careful what PSU/brand you go for. I've tested a few "replacement" Solid Gear TFX and SFX PSUs, and they weren't built at all too well. One even managed to kill a motherboard. You might have to look for some odd-ball *used* but good brand PSUs on eBay (or similar sites) to get the same form factor... and if it gets to that, it might just be easier to recap your MPT-301 and re-use it instead.
                          Last edited by momaka; 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

maybe instead of making brackets etc, you can pit a new psu board into the old macron case?
                            I opened the Macron PSU because it was making noise, and found some leaky/swollen caps. If I dont get it recapped, I'll probably cut the rear facing panel and drill some holes so I can mount a modern PSU.

those were originally POS machines. You want to use it for a htpc? for what? youtube?
                            Oh really? That's pretty cool, I just got this case and psu from my local computer shop when they were scrapping a bunch of hardware

As for use; Playing/streaming 720p video. Maybe fightcade as well for arcade emulation. that's it.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Not to sound like a grouch, but a 1st gen Phenom X4 in a small case like that is not a good idea at all. It's going to run very very hot and likely neither the motherboard nor the video card will survive for long in that PC.

As to the topic in hand...

Macron actually made some pretty decent PSUs that could meet the specs on their label. With 15 Amps on the 12V rail, this PSU should be enough even for the Phenom X4, provided you use integrated or some low-power GPU only (under 30 Watts TDP)... which makes sense anyways, since you're going for an HTPC and not a gaming PC.

The only downfall of those Macron PSUs are the caps. At this age, yours is probably overdue for a recap (if you plan to reuse it, that is.)

I did one a while back and I still use it.
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2230

I also have a newer MPT-401 (400W) PSU. Looks pretty similar to the 301, but just built with bigger parts. All in all, both are solid PSUs. Probably quite a bit dated for a modern PC (you'll be lucky to find any SATA connectors on these), and their efficiency is not the best, but they still work well.

With that said, your Phenom X4 would be quite a stretch for just about most small form factor PSUs. Many don't go more than 300-350 Watts... though the newer designs do offer more current on the 12V rail, which is what matters here. Just be careful what PSU/brand you go for. I've tested a few "replacement" Solid Gear TFX and SFX PSUs, and they weren't built at all too well. One even managed to kill a motherboard. You might have to look for some odd-ball *used* but good brand PSUs on eBay (or similar sites) to get the same form factor... and if it gets to that, it might just be easier to recap your MPT-301 and re-use it instead.
                            You have valid concerns about heat, but there will be no overclocking (9950's dont overclock that well) I've also got some 9500's if the heat is too much, though I will be filling the case with noctua fans. I'm also using whatever hardware is within arm's reach in my shop, I like to use the oldest stuff possible for myself because I cant sell it!

I'd like to fit a modern PSU in there so that i can eventually put actual new parts in this case some day.

I did open up the macron and found a leaky cap and a bunch of bulging caps. I may take it to get recapped as I am spooked by PSUs and big caps.

Also, wtf can I do with the aux power cable? Is there any kind of adapter that turns it into something useful? AUX power cables didnt last very long, correct?

Comment

Here's a pic of the blown cap. There's also two with slight bulge at the top
                              Attached Files

Comment

This hooked to a tv? Just get a roku for YouTube

Comment

youtube is shit - and getting worse.
                                  any box needs to be flexable enough to also run twitch,d-live etc.

Comment

This hooked to a tv? Just get a roku for YouTube
                                    I dont have a roku, I enjoy recycling stuff. Buying new is the last option.

youtube is shit - and getting worse.
                                    any box needs to be flexable enough to also run twitch,d-live etc.
                                    I'll clarify; I'm going to use it for torrents, watching movies off the HDD, and all manner of seedy streaming websites, as well as legal ones.

Comment

then you want to try to get as much cpu/mobo speed as pos with the lowest power consumption - because it will probably be a 24/7 system.
                                      i used to run such a rig,
                                      i586 motherboard running at 450Mhz with a scsi card and 8 harddrives!!!
                                      all the cpu had to do was shift data from the ethernet card to the scsi card.

Comment

I opened the Macron PSU because it was making noise, and found some leaky/swollen caps. If I dont get it recapped, I'll probably cut the rear facing panel and drill some holes so I can mount a modern PSU.
                                        Here's a pic of the blown cap. There's also two with slight bulge at the top
                                        Yeah, you really ought to replace all of the caps in this PSU if you want to get it working. The only exception are the two big 200V caps on the primary, as those rarely have problems in old PSUs like these (and that's fortunate, because these big caps are usually expensive, whereas the rest of the smaller caps in the PSU are pretty cheap.)

But like I said, these PSUs are actually pretty easy to recap. The PCB is single layer and doesn't require a powerful iron to work on it. I recapped mine with only a 30 Watt basic soldering iron back in those day, as I didn't have my (more) fancy soldering equipment then. Also, this PSU is not crammed, so you won't have too much problems removing most of the caps. The best part is that the input wires are not soldered, so you really only remove the 4 screws that hold down the PCB, then unplug the input wires and off goes the PCB on your bench.

In terms of caps, these PSUs are not too picky either. Anything from entry-level low ESR to the more "advanced" low-ESR caps will do. In short, just about anything on this list should be OK:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...22&postcount=9

I may take it to get recapped as I am spooked by PSUs and big caps.
                                        Fear not, this PSU. It uses a 2-transistor 5VSB design that drains the main caps to safe levels within just 10's of seconds after unplugging the PSU. And even if the PSU had a faulty 5VSB, there are balancing resistors installed across the two big caps, which will eventually bleed the caps down to nothing within less than a minute or two from unplugging the PSU.

So there really isn't anything dangerous within this PSU. As long as you have it unplugged from the wall while working on it (obviously!!! but I do have to give the disclaimer here, because I've seen people try to do something like that before.)

I dont have a roku, I enjoy recycling stuff. Buying new is the last option.
                                        I can relate to that.

I set up an Athlon II X4 box for my parents to use as a streaming device, because I had a few of these on hand. Originally, I was thinking to use an Athlon II X2, but Youtube and Youtube TV are really good at bogging down a dual-core PC. Even with the Athlon II X4, I sometimes see the CPU usage quite high. And in my case (or rather, my parents's streaming PC, that is), it's a stock Dell Inspiron PC that doesn't like to crank up the fans too much. So while the PC does stay nice and quiet, the CPU temperatures often touch 58-60C in the summer and really the entire inside of the PC feels like it's on fire - and remember, that's with a 95W TDP Athlon II X4 CPU in a normal-sized mATX case with a missing side panel - i.e. the case is not starved for air. (So on that note, imagine what a 125W 1st gen Phenom X4 would run like.)

As for use; Playing/streaming 720p video. Maybe fightcade as well for arcade emulation. that's it.
                                        For 720p streaming, that CPU shouldn't see too much of a workload, especially if whatever GPU you end up using has hardware acceleration (preferably Radeon HD4k series or newer or GeForce 9000 series or newer.)

YouTube and YouTube TV might make it run quite a bit toasty, though, as I mentioned above.

You have valid concerns about heat, but there will be no overclocking (9950's dont overclock that well) I've also got some 9500's if the heat is too much, though I will be filling the case with noctua fans.
                                        Yeah, with enough fans, you might be able to keep it under control. The Phenom 9500's are only 95W TDP compared to the 125W of the 9950, so you really might be better off with those... or underclock and undervolt the 9950 to achieve some lower temperatures.

I also have a X4 9150e in one of my PCs, and it's a pretty cool CPU for the most part - only 65 Watts TDP for a quad core, because it runs at a rather slow 1.8 GHz per core max. It often has trouble with 1080p @ 60 FPS, though. On the other hand, 1080p @ 30 FPS it can handle OK most of the time.

Also, wtf can I do with the aux power cable? Is there any kind of adapter that turns it into something useful? AUX power cables didnt last very long, correct?
                                        Well, given that this PSU lacks SATA power cables, the best thing to do would be to either get some Molex-->SATA adapters or strip some from another dead PSU and splice them (solder) to this PSU. SATA connector has three voltages: 3.3V, 5V, and 12V (along with ground). However, the 3.3V was never really put to use by any SATA device that I know of, so that's why those Molex-->SATA adapters work, even though that they omit the 3.3V rail. Of course, since you do have that Aux Power cable and you were wondering what you could do with it ... if you're OCD enough about giving your SATA adapters 3.3V, that is one place where you can get it from.

But apart from that, the Aux power connector is pretty useless.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 09-27-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X