Thoughts on this ESR meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this ESR meter

Good day folks. I thought I'd seek some professional advice: I'm planning on getting myself an ESR meter and while I definitely don't quite have the budget for a top of the range one, I certainly don't want it to be dirt cheap either, so in searching for one, I thought I'd base its quality more or less on its price....I initially wanted to get the Atlas ESR, which although was at the very limit of how much I was willing to spend, I was just about ready to go for it, but it sort of disappeared overnight and couldn't find another locally, so I found this thing instead.

I'm sure you've heard of OLX before, since it appears to be an international thing, so don't be scared if you can't understand the language - I'm sure you can get the gist of it and make out the specs and everything else needed to come up with an opinion, especially since it throws some part names in there, like INA128 and so on, which pros may be able to identify better than I can. Google Translate could also come in handy if it really comes to that.

If clarifications are needed, don't hesitate to ask Cheers guys. Thanks for the help.
    Wattevah...

Re: Thoughts on this ESR meter

Never heard of OLX. For the price of that you could buy 3 cheap ones that probably do the same thing and a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
      Never heard of OLX. For the price of that you could buy 3 cheap ones that probably do the same thing and a little more.
      So you're saying despite its professional looks, it's nothing to write home about ? :|
      Wattevah...

Comment

I'd recomend one of those 'AY-AT' kits, if you don't mind a bit of soldering.

That way you don't get something with that crappy lead-free solder and suspect looking solder joints all over the place. Have to admit I have no idea of the soldering quality on any of the ready-made testers, other than the $20-esr-tester variety from China (which really sucks, imo).

Comment

looking at the location of the button, i'd say that has a first-gen kit in it using atmega8
          worth about 5€
          (mostly for the case!!)

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
            That way you don't get something with that crappy lead-free solder and suspect looking solder joints all over the place.
            lol
            if you saw my lead-free soldering, you wouldnt know it was hand-soldered or lead free!!

it's down to the quality of the solder.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              looking at the location of the button, i'd say that has a first-gen kit in it using atmega8
              worth about 5€
              (mostly for the case!!)
              Well there is a picture of the insides of the thing further down that page in case that might offer some helpful extra clues
              Wattevah...

Comment

simple microcontroller design, i think the burr-brown reference is marketing - we are talking about a stable squarewave - not an opera singer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                  So you're saying despite its professional looks, it's nothing to write home about ? :|
                  I'm saying it doesn't look anything particularly special, but I'm no expert on these things. The cheaper kit DIY builds will give you basic transistor testing and inductance testing along with cap testing, they can be bought for as little as $9. For that money you can't really go wrong.

I've seen a cheap DIY tester compared to a Peak Atlas and there wasn't much in it, they were both in the same ball park. Some of the cheaper ones can come with a case too, so you can spend a little more if you want a neater solution. I keep my DIY tester in a little box, it comes out when I need it.

Comment

worth about 5€
                    (mostly for the case!!)
                    No Atmega as far as I can see, better photo here: http://roboprog.weebly.com/esr-e01.html

Code:
                    ST M74HC4066  QUAD BILATERAL SWITCH
                    TI INA128	Precision, Low Power Instrumentation Amplifiers
                    TI OPAx340 	Operational Amplifier
                    TI SN74HC4066	Quadruple Bilateral Analog Switch
                    It seems a bit unlike anything else I've seen.
                    That said I'd go for the cheap Transistor tester on eBay or Aliexpress, like the "AY-AT".
                    Or if you want something that does 100Khz then there is also the MESR-100
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                      Good day folks. I thought I'd seek some professional advice: I'm planning on getting myself an ESR meter
                      Hi,

I using this
                      http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/evb1.htm
                      The prof. and best ESR.

Use everday ...

Ruy

Comment

I bought this kit last year on eBay and I've been pretty happy with it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-DIY-Tr...item2cac54d792

It can run off a 9V battery, or a 9-12V dc adapter. For repairs, I'm interested in "ball park" and "go"/"no go" values. And it works fine for that.

The kit goes together pretty easily and my only suggestion would be is to have your meter handy to read the value of the resistors. Trying to read the color code off them will make your head hurt!
                        Last edited by jetadm123; 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

One thing to note is the software for these cheap devices has been under development for a long time now so most of the major bugs and performance tweaks have been dealt with.

Comment

lol
                            if you saw my lead-free soldering, you wouldnt know it was hand-soldered or lead free!!

it's down to the quality of the solder.
                            If I couldn't see the difference I guess I'd be happy. How 'bout a couple details on the 'good stuff' - how well does it perform and how does the cost compare to, say, 60/40 ?

Comment

depends on the quality of the 60/40

i'm using Stannol 99%tin 1%copper with HS10 fluxcore in .7mm

the nearest comparison would be these 2 links:
                              https://www.rapidonline.com/stannol-...m-250g-50-4042
                              https://www.rapidonline.com/stannol-...m-250g-50-2437

so it's about 50% more expensive.
                              however, it's sold by weight and lead is heavier than tin - so the lead-free reel has more meters of solder on it.

i also have it with kristol505 fluxcore - that's so clean it looks like glass.
                              unfortunatly it's very hard to find sellers.
                              Last edited by stj; 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

depends on the quality of the 60/40

i'm using Stannol 99%tin 1%copper with HS10 fluxcore in .7mm

the nearest comparison would be these 2 links:
                                https://www.rapidonline.com/stannol-...m-250g-50-4042
                                https://www.rapidonline.com/stannol-...m-250g-50-2437

so it's about 50% more expensive.
                                however, it's sold by weight and lead is heavier than tin - so the lead-free reel has more meters of solder on it.

i also have it with kristol505 fluxcore - that's so clean it looks like glass.
                                unfortunatly it's very hard to find sellers.
                                Sorry, I meant a good quality like Kester 44 60/40 rosin core, it just usually seems to work ok and excess flux is easily removed 8-). Plus the smoke from it gives me a decent buzz (jk). Thanks!

Comment

There's another aspect I forgot to talk about: in-circuit measurements. The more expensive and "posh" meter claims to be able to take readings even with the component still on the board, which would certainly be handy, whereas the cheap and cheerful kits make no mention of such feature, so has anyone given it a shot ? Cheers.
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

in circuit work is BS, the readings are effected by other parts.

Comment

ive just been watching this video on youtube i guess everyone has different opinions about in circuit esr testing and i guess its what meter you have
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72sJ5Infuu0

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                        ive just been watching this video on youtube i guess everyone has different opinions about in circuit esr testing and i guess its what meter you have
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72sJ5Infuu0
                                        Ah yes, good ol' Dave again...yeah, that's what I'm talking about, though the thing he's using looks (or so he says it is) rather professional, so the question is whether or not a cheapy ebay one can yield the same results, or at least get you in the ballpark...he failed to try that in his vid about the 7$ LCR meter
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                        X