This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Have you tried the firmware linked in this post? https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=795
    Can you please post a picture of the grid pattern the meter shows for 2 seconds?

About the warning of the fuses: You can change:
    Code:
    efuse:0xfc:m
    Into:
    Code:
    efuse:0x04:m
    And it should not give that warning any more.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

per hansson is there any recent firmware available for our testers? as i have the same tester as you use i did update mine too 16mhz crystal etc.

Comment

I posted a build a few pages back:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=767
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thank you i missed that post somehow i will try it on my tester later.

Comment

Thank you all for your time and help.would not have got this far without it.
            Update,
            I decided to bite the bullet after multiple writing and erasing the chip think I tried every avrdude file I could, I fitted a new atmega 328p au smd chip and eureka it took the first firmware download,and this is the result. so may have a playround upgrading now it is working, what does the 16mhz upgrade achieve?
            John
            Attached Files

Comment

Congrats, nice solder work, used a hot air station I take it?

Comment

16MHz increases accuracy, allows testing of crystals upto about 10MHz and reduces your battery life

Comment

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
                  Congrats, nice solder work, used a hot air station I take it?
                  Yes you are spot on (hot air soldering) have been in the trade over 50 years so soldering is not a problem. Its programing I have problems with, but with help from all of you on this Forum I got a result, many thanks.
                  John

Comment

Great work TEDDIBEAR!
                    Glad you got it working

Comment

Now that it is up and running what would I need to adapt this LCR T4 to work with a rotary encoder & 16mhz crystal, if it is possible with this model. if so what firmware would I need.
                      John

Comment

QUESTION!- I have a few lipo cells with protection circuits and some of these micro USB charge controllers with 9 volt boost converters built in. I have the newest AY-AT PCB based tester. I'm going to put the lipo and charge controller/boost converter on it. How can I run the vbat signal that goes to R1 directly to my battery so i can see battery actual battery voltage and not the converter output voltage? Would I need to add another transistor like T1 between the battery and sense circuit to keep the voltage divider on the sense circuit from killing the battery?
                        Attached Files

Comment

just connect ubat to the battery.
                          btw, i recommend using 2 in series rather than a boost converter.
                          some people have had problems with noise from the booster getting into the cpu

Comment

Originally posted by TEDDIBEAR View Post
                            Now that it is up and running what would I need to adapt this LCR T4 to work with a rotary encoder & 16mhz crystal, if it is possible with this model. if so what firmware would I need.
                            John
                            to do the crystal - just swap it.
                            the rotary encoder - search this thread from page1.

Comment

John
                              Maybe you are interested also read this post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...19/#msg1090619

A greeting.
                              Last edited by pepe10000; 11-22-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                what capacitor values do i need too calibrate the unit?as just checking i have the correct values here.

Comment

A polypropylene 220nf capacitor and something to jumper all three test points.

Comment

after joining the three leads its now asking for two values 100nf and a 1pf im just trying to find new ones.

Comment

I guess some models vary in requirement!

Just checked mine, it asks for >100nf so I suppose 220nf is good enough.
                                      Last edited by jondoe; 11-22-2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

All sorted i read it wrong, it was just 1 100nf capacitor for calibration so im using this firmware now on my 1 mhz tester and stj version on my 8 mhz tester
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=767
                                        Last edited by vinceroger69; 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

John
                                          Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          to do the crystal - just swap it.
                                          the rotary encoder - search this thread from page1.
                                          He needs to change the firmware too: If not it will read capacitance 2x out for example.

Comment

Working...
                                          X