Duratech TS-1574 hot air rework station - LCDs not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duratech TS-1574 hot air rework station - LCDs not working properly

I recently got up a Duratech TS-1574 quite cheap. Originally from Jaycar no doubt

They sold it apparently because the iron was not working, but this does not matter as I already have 3 other irons anyway (I think the heater is stuffed but not 100% sure)

The real issues is that is seems the LCDs have issues - some segments not displaying properly (see attached photo)

This is only apparent on the "set temperature" part, not the "current temperature" readout.

Also, the backlight of the left display is much dimmer than the other, though this is hardly much of an issue...

Has anyone heard of this happening before, or is there any likely issue to cause this in LCDs?
    Attached Files
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Duratech TS-1574 hot air rework station - LCDs not working properly

that stuff is also sold as "Duratool" and some other names,

it's very good when it works, but the soldering isnt always the best.
    check the soldering.

Comment

Dry joints you think? I guess it doesn't help that it was sitting around doing nothing for the last 6 months, I just discovered...
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

dry joints?
        more like crap joints!

and dont dismiss the backlight issue - that's a big red flag that the power isnt getting where it should in that board!

Comment

I've opened it up and took some photos of one of the control boards.

I had to shrink the photos to attach them so the full size originals are on Flickr as well
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/agent_2...7624328897833/

I don't really have much experience in spotting crappy soldering, but to me these seem to look OK.

What do you think?
          Attached Files
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Also, checked voltage to the backlights: 3.04v on the good one and 2.96v on the bad. I'm guessing the light is either stuffed or there is something else wrong...
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Bad solder joints in a soldering station? That's like putting bad caps in an ESR meter.. Oh wait, that's been done...
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Looks like I missed what is probably a critical piece of information.

When the iron or hot air is turned on, the LCD gets self-tested for about a second. During this time, all segments are turned on.

On both LCDs, all segments are fine during this startup test. (can't believe I didn't notice this before!)

I did try resoldering the connections on the LCD, but it didn't change anything.

I guess the problem lies with the controller or LCD driver IC and\or connections rather than the LCD itself.

What now?
                -David VanHorn

Comment

well does it all work other than the lcd's?

Comment

The hot air works, it certainly does get hotter as the temperature is increased via the controls at least. No idea if the temperature is accurate though.

If not the soldering or LCD itself, what's the next likely suspect?

Can't test the iron however. The station is supplying power but the iron doesn't heat up, and the heater which should measure a few ohms is infinite. I guess that fault explains itself!

There was something odd about the power though. At ZhongDi's website (I believe them to be the OEM), the iron (http://www.china-zhongdi.com/zd-912.htm) is described as being 24v AC.

Looking at the circuitry, the iron is powered from the 26v winding of the transformer, which goes straight to a bridge rectifier and gets switched with a MOSFET. The output when measured was DC.

Does the use of DC actually matter?

I found that I can get a new iron from somewhere like this: (http://www.komerci.de/shop/product_i...78&language=en) The price is good. Only problem, they won't ship to NZ!
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

the iron is 24v but 30v dc wont harm it.

here is a test,
                      put a cigarette lighter under the tip and see if it registers the temp increase on the display.

you can use any 24v iron with a thermocouple just by changing the plug.
                      i like xytronics 60w irons.

Comment

I've one of these types of stations, only have the iron on mine, nice to know there's a few other 'brands' out there and that I can swap irons/tips.

Any tips for removing the beeper? It'll be OK without it surely...

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                          the iron is 24v but 30v dc wont harm it.

here is a test,
                          put a cigarette lighter under the tip and see if it registers the temp increase on the display.

you can use any 24v iron with a thermocouple just by changing the plug.
                          i like xytronics 60w irons.
                          I tried multimeter across the thermocouple pins and heated the iron with the hot air gun, the resistance decreased. I think that's working, but the heater isn't (as I said, measures infinite resistance, or at least over 200Mohm, the limit of my meter.)

I thought of changing the plug but figured the thermocouple would be different and would result in an inaccurate temperature readout, I tried to find spare irons on eBay but could only find 50 Watt ones.

Any tips on finding a 60 Watt?

Originally posted by seanc
                          I've one of these types of stations, only have the iron on mine, nice to know there's a few other 'brands' out there and that I can swap irons/tips.

Any tips for removing the beeper? It'll be OK without it surely...
                          The beeper on mine is a little piezo thing on the control board behind the LCD. You would have to slide the backlight out from behind the LCD to get at the solder joints. I imagine just desoldering it would be OK.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

thermocouple isnt resistive, it generates volts.
                            try again - set your meter to read mv

do you have any xytronics dealers in NZ or close by?

as for a beeper - what does it do?
                            mine - the next model down, doesnt beep unless i press the buttons.

Comment

Mine beeps when I turn it on and press buttons. It's annoying if I'm pressing buttons late at night/early in the morning.

Comment

ok, you can disconect it, or try different resistors inline to lower the volume.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but...

I picked up one of the jaycar rework stations on the cheap and fixed the broken air tubing. While you do get what you pay for it's not bad for the price.

There are parts available although mainly in the UK, and stocked by farnell (element14) over there.

Jaycar product: TS1574 AKA ZD-912

farnell: http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d0067...360?Ntt=ZD-912

element14 l have a number of spare parts listed, I haven't found any suppliers locally (.au) though.

manufacturer: http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d0067...360?Ntt=ZD-912

I think I'll stock up on tips in case jaycar drop the line altogether, and save my pennies for a better system if/when this one dies.

Cheers.

Comment

I know Farnell UK stock them, but it's useless because I tried contacting them and they said they wouldn't ship them because they weren't certified for use in New Zealand or some crap.

The parts turn up on eBay from time to time, I might buy a new iron for it if I can justify the cost vs the fact I already have 3 irons which do work. Other problem is that the tip selection is pretty pathetic (again due to the above problem)

Only reason I can see to get this one going is that it's rated for 60 watts while my (again Duratech) Hakko knockoff is 50 watts (supposedly)

Though for desoldering capacitors a proper desoldering gun would probably be better, I see those are even higher power... 80 or 100 watts or so.
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                    X