Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KSGER Battery BMS charge battery board review

Originally posted by redwire View Post
    Or he has the tip with extra thermocouple inside (four wires pic, might be JBC)
    no, that's from a desoldering station - it's a stainless-steel pipe running through the element/sensor-ring

Comment

Here is the soldering iron controller with the batteries in and power supply jack all in one case

Yes there is a meter hooked up to the power jack I checking the battery charger that I bought for this unit I seeing if it going to work or not with getting to hot

I bought another Kobalt battery pack from Lowe’s and try out some Samsung 2 amp hour batteries that the battery voltage and amp hour readings were very close to each other

So we will see if this BMS protection board will work better this time with batteries being very close to each other in milliamperes results
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-13-2019, 06:23 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Here are the test results for this BMS protection board for the Ksger battery powered soldering iron controller

If you charge and discharge the batteries and use batteries that have the same exact results for each battery

The results of this board is as follows on a scale of ONE that the board does not work at all and TEN working perfectly

I give this BMS protection board for batteries a nine.five

Here is why if you try charging higher than 500 milliamperes it turns on one of the balancing LED light which to me is a down side of this board which I took half of a point from it score

Yes this board is worth the money if you are willing to do a little work with the batteries first then your results will be very good

These are my final thoughts on this battery BMS protection board

I hope this will help someone that is thinking of doing something similar to this setup

You do need to use the case that is 150mm long otherwise not everything will fit there will not be enough room

One other thing that I would highly recommend is that you use a reset-able fuse on input power jack just in-case something goes wrong

As you can see the photo reset-able fuse where I put the fuse at in the photo

The only thing to work on now is charging controller for this battery BMS protection board and limit the charging current to 500 milliamperes so batteries will be fully charged
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have an update on this charging BMS protection board it not what they say it should be

I was able to use it twice with no when I went use it the third time it did not charge up correctly one of the batteries dose not charge correctly and it voltage was a lot lower than the other batteries

This battery voltage was 3.75 and the other ones are 3.9something and higher
          The battery that has the low voltage it is the first battery that the balancing LED light comes ON really I do not think so
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Could be a defective cell, too?

Dunno, I've always wondered what to do with packs that have batteries that go bad faster than expected... I've been thinking about that balancer and how it works and there are some situations where I'm not sure if the proper behavior would work if your pack had bad cells in it.

Actually perhaps it is doing the right behavior, but either way the pack as a collective is hosed anyway.

Comment

I am going to take battery pack apart and recheck the battery capacity of each cell again and see if it is a battery failure or is BMS protection board having an issue

I could have a bad cell or one that the milliamperes has changed and the batteries are not balanced

So I will have to see what going on
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I checked three of them so far that this BMS protection board says that is charged and the milliamperes are as follows

Once I have tested all of the batteries and recharge them and retest them and see if it is the batteries or is it BMS protection board having way to many issues if this is the case I will not be using this board on anything at all
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is an update to this BMS balancing protection board battery test

As I said earlier in another post about the EBC -A10H battery tester

I have tested 2 of the 6 batteries that was on this BMS balancing protection board

I ran this test on two batteries at the same time and milliamperes results were very close
                  With in about 300 milliamperes hour difference

The charge curve were almost the same let see if the other two sets give the same results

Because if they do then what is wrong with BMS balancing protection board setup

Now because this EBC -A10H tester has a monitor function on it once I have checked all the batteries that I had used on this BMS board

I am going to make a testing jig for testing this BMS board while charging and discharging the batteries on this board

To see just what the problem is with this board
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2020, 08:17 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                    I checked three of them so far that this BMS protection board says that is charged and the milliamperes are as follows

You see the results that says 1657 well I ran the test on this battery first and here is the results
                    As you can see there is nothing wrong with this battery
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2020, 10:03 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is the results from the the other battery
                      Attached Files
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is an interesting battery test holder

The same company that makes the battery tester

But I did not get it from the same eBay seller though
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2020, 01:39 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

I have almost finished the second set of batteries and see now why this BMS balancing board is having problem with these batteries it has to with what the discharge curve voltage is when an when it drops rapidly

The first set drop at about 3.500 volts and the other set drop at about 3.15 volts but that is not only difference between them the milliamperes hours is also one is at 2008 and other one is at 2013

Other ones were 1917 and 1950 milliamperes hours ( this set dose not quite make it )

One note about these batteries they are suppose be 2000 milliamperes hours

Here is how I see why these batteries are having problems with this BMS balancing protection board

You have all the charged and you use to the device until where the battery voltage drops off a 3.50 volts or maybe a little lower than that but you have not reached the BMS board cutoff voltage yet so you see the voltage on the soldering station showing 21.0something volts so you put on charge and because not all batteries have gotten to voltage drop off curve they at different states of discharge so when the first battery reaches about 4.0something volts then the balancing LEDs starts to turn on and that because it has almost has reached the voltage cutoff voltage point now the other batteries have not become fully charged

So next time you use it the run time is not quite as long but it still works fairly well now you do the same thing again and same thing happens again ( as noted above ) but this time the batteries that did not get fully charged the first time are lower in charge than the battery that got fully charged the first time

Now when you go to use it the third time now it has not charged very much at all
                          Now none of batteries have any run time at all to speak of

From the looks of it there not even close

I have one more set of batteries to do so we will see what results those have

Now the question I have is can you find 6 batteries that have very close charging and discharging voltage drop and voltage rise curves that are very close so the BMS balancing protection board does not get the batteries out of wacky to the point where it will not charge correctly

This is the real question to answer
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2020, 04:01 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is some more results on these batteries
                            This after charging and discharging at least ten times

Now the charge and discharge curves almost look the same
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-05-2020, 07:30 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Is the problem you originally had with the KSGER battery board, is that the cell equalization is weak, the cells in the pack must be well matched?
                              The BMS board balancing resistors I think could treat cells about 3% different.
                              So I would use identical batteries instead of what I have lying around?

Comment

These batteries were brand new out of a battery pack that I was able to use 2 times ( charge and discharge cycles ) before the batteries became very unbalanced using this BMS balancing protection board

The battery pack that I am referring to is the post # 22 is the start of the battery pack problem
                                This is the Kobalt battery pack from Lowe

I am in the process of trying to figure out what the problem with this BMS balancing protection board is
                                I am waiting my third battery tester machine to get here so I can check one bank of cells on one side then do the other side

But I have to make a jig for this BMS balancing protection board so I can hook up the voltage meter leads to the board and batteries
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-06-2020, 05:02 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                X