Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

what brand power supply are you using?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

you said that the fan sounds funny.. how does it sound funny.. Does the fan spin freely.. tap the fan blades a little to spin it and see if it wobbles a little or if it barely moves and stops right away or almost right away. if it wobbles a little then the fan should be fine but if it stops right away with almost no movement after you tap the fan blades.. it may be that the fan either needs greased or replaced.. I have had a few fans in my life that i have hbad stop working.. they are like any other fan in the computer.. they all stop working after so long and if the manufacturer went cheap on caps, then it is likely that they may have went cheap on the fans too.. if it does need replaced or greased, that is something that you can usually do yourself.. and is very cheap to do too.. trust me.. i have done many a fan in my life.. especially when someone brings over a PC with a non moving fan and no where to buy one around here and need to get the PC up and running very soon..

IF you do need info on it, let me know.. and believe it or not.. it does last for quite a while.. i greased a fan on a power supply on one of my PCs about 2 years ago and have not touched it since.. so it does last..

Comment

I use the generic that came with my computer; a Delta Electroincs Inc. 350w. Most of the other writing is in Chinese.

By funny I mean around every 3 hours or so, the fan goes really loud and sounds like it's hitting something, it goes back to normal after a minute or so.

Comment

fans on a computer when starting to go bad.. and go bad i mean are not spinning properly, will start to make a bit of a vibrating rubbing grinding sound.. kinda hard to explain.. a lot of times they will start this when the computer first starts up and then the sound goes away after running it a few minutes.. and then sometimes it is an off and on thing.. but in all cases, it usually gets worse as time goes on.. and when it suddenly just stops one day.. the fan is no longer spinning.. or barely if at all. this goes with all fans in the PC.. at that point.. something is going to fry..

fans that come from the factory a lot of times do not have the proper amount or type of lubricant on them and after a time, they start doing that.. i have seen fans do that, that were maybe a year old max.. and in a pc that is not even run 24/7.. just when needed.. so it is always possible.. i would make sure of which fan it is to make sure.. that fan can either be replaced or re-lubed..

if you dont know how or just want to re-lube it yourself, let me know and i can tell you how.. it is not that hard and all you need is something like tweezers, a pick of some sort (something thin and with a point) a little grease or lube, a piece of tape, and something to wipe the stuff down..

let me know and i will tell you how.. if you are interested.. can be done on most fans..

Comment

Don't use grease for re-lubing fans because it dries up fairly quickly. Oil will last much longer. Regular motor oil should be just fine.

By the way, Delta Electronics makes excellent power supplies. Definitely not generics .
            Nevertheless it might be a good idea to actually open the power supply and check it for bad caps (only if the warranty on it is expired, though). Just make sure to unplug it before opening and DO NOT touch the heatsinks inside (usually the PSU discharges from high voltages within seconds, but still, better be safe than sorry).

Comment

it depends on what you use.. and the type of grease.. I agree that some types of grease will dry up quickly.. but like i said.. some kinds.. I am not a big fan of using motor oil.. I have used motor oil for some things and it works at the moment.. but think about a car.. they say that if you have not started a car in a year that you should spray a litle oil in each cylinder to help protect the engine.. that would never be the case if motor oil stuck to medal that good.. even think about how hard a car starts when it first starts after a few days vs on that was run an hour or two ago.. Oil does lube the engine good but over extended lengths of time, i would not count on it not running off..

Now i have used a lube that i got at wal-mart here that is from primis.. it says it is a lube gel.. that i would use before regular motor oil.. Personally, I use regular grease.. Some kinds of grease do dry out bad after a short time, but what i use is grease for a car.. the kind that lubes the ball joints and tie rod ends.. I have done many fans with it.. and some run in computers that are left on 24/7 and have never had one come back because of problems.. even years later.. but then again, that kind of grease i guess is not just normal store bought cheap grease either.. it is made to last..

Comment

What you are 'supposed' to use is a very light grease.
                Normal motor oil is too light and grease like wheel bearing grease is way too heavy.
                I compromise and use like 140wt gear oil if I'm going to bother at all.
                Even if I lube one to keep it going a while longer it's going to get changed as soon as I can get a replacement.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

true, it is heavy, but would rather go with bearing grease over motor oil any day. At least i know that the bearing grease will hold up to heat, not run off, and not dry up.. think i am going to start a new thread in general computer discussion about this.. a little instruction manual to maybe help newbies out that dont know that they can be lubed. might save someone a lot of headaches. 80mm case fans are one thing, but some times you just can not find a fan for something like a vid card very easy or very quickly..

Comment

I have discovered that if I tilt my computer, the video card's fan will go bats**t insane for about 30 seconds. I think I will grease it. How exactly do I get below the fan? Do I un-attach it completely?

Comment

if you have the exact video cad tht was shown here.. i would say take the vid card out of the PC, unplug the power to the fan, where the fan is, there is a cover that goes all the way around the fan.. if you look there is 4 philips head screws.. they look like a #0 or 1 philips by the picture. take those 4 screws out. and i would think that the fan would come off the circuit board part of the card from there. if not then check the back side for any screws.

Comment

Originally posted by kaniki
                        Now i have used a lube that i got at wal-mart here that is from primis.. it says it is a lube gel.. that i would use before regular motor oil.. Personally, I use regular grease.. Some kinds of grease do dry out bad after a short time, but what i use is grease for a car.. the kind that lubes the ball joints and tie rod ends.. I have done many fans with it.. and some run in computers that are left on 24/7 and have never had one come back because of problems.. even years later.. but then again, that kind of grease i guess is not just normal store bought cheap grease either.. it is made to last..
                        that primis lube in the black and green can with the yellow molecule on it works fine in pc fans. thats what i have been using for about a year.
                        tried it on an oddball fan that was hard to replace.its still fine after 2 years in a factory where it runs 24/7/365.
                        this is the best stuff yet for fans.
                        made in usa too.

Comment

yup that is the stuff. have used that too.. on many a thing, not just fans..

Comment

"on many a thing" or many a thang?

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

you really should get the msds for the stuff before using it on your "thang"

Comment

oh. but i like using it on my "Thang"..

and a for the MSDS.. i think it was rated.. "Toxic" and "Unidentifiable"

Comment

If it makes the Thang glow in black light I might have the MSDS for it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

I removed the video card from the computer and it start's fine, also it doesn't go crazy when I touch it, so it must be the video card.

I took off the fan cover of the video card, there was a lot of dust. I am going to remove the dust and see if it works.

Comment

Guess what, I own an XFX 8600GT also and just had the same problem! I took a pic as well

Going to try what you did

Comment

My capacitors have different ratings than yours.
                                        I am looking for a 1200uF 4V (you can see it pretty clearly in the pic)
                                        Doesn't look like this store has one

Comment

about fans,
                                          you cant use grease or thick oil because a good fan uses ball-races.
                                          only thin machine oil will go into them.
                                          the best is "Loctite SuperLube" it has teflon dust suspended in synthetic oil.

of course bad fan's use bronze sleeve-bearings.
                                          but they go straight in the bin - because they often fail 100% without warning and kill the equipment they are supposed to cool when the bronze sleeve breaks into pieces and seizes the shaft.

Comment

Working...
                                          X