X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newegg Ships Counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPUs

W O W
    This is awesome in several levels.

In an almost surreal tale of events, USA electronics retailer Newegg has discovered a reported 300 counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPU's in its inventory, some of which were inadvertently shipped out to buyers!

Initial reports of the fakes began yesterday when at least 5 separate incidents totaling 9 fake processors cropped up on Youtube, HardOCP and the Overclockers.com forums. The recipients of the fakes had all purchased the CPU's from Newegg.com within the past few days.

We contacted Newegg and a representative confirmed that they did in fact receive “incorrect inventory” in the form of fake processors from a vendor and that they were working to rectify the matter as quickly as possible. Unfortunately further questions about how they intended to resolve the matter with the unfortunate purchasers or details about where the counterfeits came from and how they managed to slip by screenings were ignored.

The pictures below, taken by the unwitting buyers tell the story. The heatsink had been swapped with a rather crude epoxy or clay like molding of the stock Intel HSF, with a picture of the fan's top part attached. The CPU was layers of of metal and PCB with a fake IHS on the top and a sticker attached with typical Core i7 information. The box itself was riddled with spelling errors, and to bypass the security seal, the box was printed with a “Intel Factory Sealed” sticker look alike and a clear sticker attached over top.

Intel does provide “security” windows on its packaging in order to verify that the CPU and fan are in fan in the box, however, it does not show the full components.

It is expected that Newegg will replace the processors very quickly and an investigation into the perpetrators of such a unique crime will likely begin. No others reports of fake CPUs from North American retailers has been heard and a source with retailer NCIX.com confirms that the company has already checked their stock and found no fakes.

If the rumoured HardOCP number of 300 counterfeit units is accurate, it that would represent a street value price of over $85,000 USD.

Update: Newegg has released an official statement regarding the incident, attempting explain the ordeal as a shipment of “demo boxes” by a supplier.

Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected… See More customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.
    ***SOURCE***

More images available at the link above.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Newegg Ships Counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPUs

demo boxes lol. why dont they just admit they are fakes.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I don't see why demo boxes would have spelling errors and a fake factory seal.

Comment

lol

probably from Intel,
        what do you expect from a company with it's factory in Israel!

Comment

Originally posted by stj
          lol

probably from Intel,
          This is why I'm only buying AMD from now on. Despite my current system.

Anyway, I don't buy Newegg's story either. It makes me wonder how much of their other stuff is of questionable origin.
          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
            lol

probably from Intel,
            I'd rather see 'made in Israel' than made in china.... My Xeons came from the nice warm South American country of Costa Rica.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Core i7 is a combination of Jewish and American brains. The core design is based Dohtan, and the hyperthreading comes from the Pentium 4 which I believe was designed in Texas.

Actually this platform is so versatile, if it weren't for Intel changing the Dothan to AGTL+ bus, we would have all been able to run Dothan chips on our BX chipsets, they are otherwise compatible.

AMDs chips are nice, but until they license the latter SSE4 iterations (SSE4a is not SSE4), I will try to stay far away from them.

In a few years, when the new compilers are all optimized for SSE4.X, Intel chips will blow AMD out of the water in encoding/gaming/multimedia.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i dunno it was dissapointing already

Comment

fake demo boxes?
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

the engrish on that box means these are pure counterfiets likely from china.
                    probably substituted along the way through distribution.
                    could have happened anywhere in the path.
                    you can bet heads are gonna roll on this one!

Comment

i can tell you WHY intel are in israel - actually Palastine.
                      and amd are in mexico.

amd want cheap mfr costs.
                      intel want 0 taxes.

the terror-state has special agreements with the EU & U.S. and pay NO import-duty!!!
                      also, the terrorist government give grants - presumably u.s. taxpayer sourced,
                      for company's wanting to startup in ocupied/"disputed" area's beyond the so-called 67' borders.

--------------

as for newegg,
                      was it them that have a history of people buying terrabyte harddrives only to find an old 20gig seagate in the box, and a woman who got a digital-cam with a brick in the box?

Comment

i can tell you WHY intel are in israel - actually Palastine
                        The arabs cannot even drill one barrel of their own oil without white European and Western technology much less grasp the concepts behind integrated circuit engineering.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

In a few years, when the new compilers are all optimized for SSE4.X, Intel chips will blow AMD out of the water in encoding/gaming/multimedia.
                          So in a few years there won't be any new AMD chips? Phenom II is the last proc they will make, right?

Buy a new Intel chip and you get top of the line performance. Buy a new AMD and you'll be able to afford the next new AMD that comes out. Top PhenomII is like $200, top I7 is $800+, I don't think the difference is worth $400. This isn't 1996, I'd rather NOT spend $3k on a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                            i can tell you WHY intel are in israel - actually Palastine.
                            yes

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                              yes
                              i did.

incidentally, GCC already has optimisations for most cpu's - it will probably get the i7 stuff if it hasnt already.

Comment

So in a few years there won't be any new AMD chips? Phenom II is the last proc they will make, right?

Buy a new Intel chip and you get top of the line performance. Buy a new AMD and you'll be able to afford the next new AMD that comes out. Top PhenomII is like $200, top I7 is $800+, I don't think the difference is worth $400. This isn't 1996, I'd rather NOT spend $3k on a computer.
                                No, AMD will continue to make stuff, but Intel will never license later versions of SSE for them and SSE will become pretty predominant and pretty soon, AMD will not be able to compete.

Also, quad core Core2 chips are only around $60 more expensive than their AMD counterparts. Is it worth it if you ask me? Yes.

Also, remember that Intel is a profitable company, AMD is not, which means that AMDs future is unpredictable. But their glory days of Athlon (Which was plagued by lousy chipsets, BTW) is over. The stage has been set and they will never be able to compete with Intel as they were able to back then.

Comment

amd could destroy intel in the future,
                                  they now own ati, and are working on unified cpu/gpu designs.

imagine they start using the gpu as a co-processor with an on-chip transport-bus!

Comment

probably just the same happen. one is on top then later the other one and so forth. nobody is going to release anything so groundbreaking that everyone is speechless. technology got boring a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                                      amd could destroy intel in the future,
                                      they now own ati, and are working on unified cpu/gpu designs.

imagine they start using the gpu as a co-processor with an on-chip transport-bus!
                                      I don't buy it.

CPU does not equal GPU.

Think about it. Intel's job is to improve the design of its own bloated CISC. Intel invented it, which means that they are the best at maintaining and improving it.

Graphics cards use high efficiency RISC processors. They require severe brute force and depend on ultra fast memory to function well.

Besides, video card manufacturers are stuck programming for Direct3D which will always affect their MO in someway or another because no one seems to care about OpenGL performance anymore, and D3D is like running Windows vs. the speed of Linux - that is to say - it sucks.

To prove my point, someone explain to me why a 512-bit Radeon 2900XT (The only 512 bit videocard in existence) is trounced by almost every other generation ahead of it.

Comment

What is to stop AMD from making its own instruction set which is better than SSE4? If there are real gains, people will support it. Who is to say Intel won't license it.

Not only is the core processor more expensive, but so are the motherboards.

Comment

Working...
                                        X