Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

philips 26" PLCD170P2 Slow at turning on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

philips 26" PLCD170P2 Slow at turning on.

Hello again Guys.

My bro in laws tv used to take around 45 mins to warm up before you could switch it on, but then it started taking longer so in the end they just left it on standby all the time so it would switch on when they wanted it on.

So i asked him to switch it off at the wall and leave it over night, the next day it wouldnt come on, 3 hours later and still no life.

I have got the tv now, replaced a couple of caps, plugged it in and it came on.

So i left it over night, tried to switch it on and its dead. So i put the original caps back, plug it all in and it comes on???

I noticed yesterday that if i remover the ribbod going to the inverters it will switch on, then plug the inverters back in and it will power on again?

Am i right in thinking that its a bad cap not charging properly?

Some pics to show you the board.

The blue cap is one i have put in.

Also, all the caps are RUBYCON and Nichicon.
    Attached Files
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Re: philips 26" PLCD170P2 Slow at turning on.

Originally posted by gilly1984 View Post
    I have got the tv now, replaced a couple of caps, plugged it in and it came on.
    1) What brand and series did you use for replacements? The type of capacitor matters.

2) Why just 2 caps? Were the old ones bulged?

I noticed yesterday that if i remover the ribbod going to the inverters it will switch on, then plug the inverters back in and it will power on again?
    3) We will need pictures of the inverter boards.

4) We want clear focused pictures in this composition

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

In fact, please retake pictures of all your boards with the above composition.

Am i right in thinking that its a bad cap not charging properly?

Also, all the caps are RUBYCON and Nichicon.
    5) The length of time it takes to turn on could be caps with high ESR (ohms). As the set warms up, the ESR drops allowing the TV to work.

Even the best caps can be cooked as we have seen cooked Rubycon capacitors in Dell SX 280s (4 of them in my basement), Apple iMacs, etc.

6) When it takes a long time to turn on, what is the status of the power LED? Is it green, red, or off?

7) Do you have a multimeter and know how to measure DC voltage?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1. The capacitor i used was from another tv power supply, the cap was the same rating.

2. They was not bulged in any way but i tried swapping them anyway.

3. The inverter board is quite hidden so i will strip it tomorrow now.

4. As this is the second time of being told about my pics i will use the camera next time. (Found my camera but now my micro sd to sd adapter has gone missing) .

5. If i leave it off for a few hours it wont come on for a bit, if i leave it off over night can i use a hair dryer to warm it up before plugging it in? Will that lower the esr? Just want to try that so i know its the caps somewhere.

6. When it has been off for a bit, plug it in and you get nothing. No lights.

The only light it has on the tv is a green one when its switched on. There is no red standby light.

One thing i have noticed is that when it is ready for switching on i get a fuzzy buzzy sound from the tuner (Think its the digital tuner), when i hear that i know i can switch it on.

7. I HAD a multimeter, it was a cheap one, bought it last week and it lasted 2 days. Now when i select a voltage setting the voltage rises on its own without touching anything? The diode setting does the same. I must have cooked it some how. I will get another one on thursday. And yes i know how to use it.

8. One day i wish to have your know how.

Comment

7. I HAD a multimeter, it was a cheap one, bought it last week and it lasted 2 days. Now when i select a voltage setting the voltage rises on its own without touching anything? The diode setting does the same. I must have cooked it some how. I will get another one on thursday. And yes i know how to use it.
        For some meters this is normal, due to the very high input impedance of a good multimeter. If you short/touch the probes together does it go to zero, also try measuring an AA battery, you should get around 1.55-1.6V new from a packet.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          For some meters this is normal, due to the very high input impedance of a good multimeter. If you short/touch the probes together does it go to zero, also try measuring an AA battery, you should get around 1.55-1.6V new from a packet.
          If i stick it in the 240v plug socket the lcd just dims down, it worked fine when i got it.

It used to say 1 on the screen if there was no reading.

Its deaded alright, only cost £5 so i'll get a better one.

EDIT: Just tried a new aa battery and it just shows 1 on the screen which means no reading. But if i hold the prongs in my hands i measure 40-50 volts dc lol.
          Last edited by gilly1984; 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

If i stick it in the 240v plug socket the lcd just dims down, it worked fine when i got it.

It used to say 1 on the screen if there was no reading.

Its deaded alright, only cost £5 so i'll get a better one.

EDIT: Just tried a new aa battery and it just shows 1 on the screen which means no reading. But if i hold the prongs in my hands i measure 40-50 volts dc lol.
            Yeah okay I think that's had it but the build quality of these things is scary anyway, I blew one up all too easily (to this day I'm still not sure how I did it!)
            Attached Files
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yeah okay I think that's had it but the build quality of these things is scary anyway, I blew one up all too easily (to this day I'm still not sure how I did it!)
              HA HA HA. Sorry.
              Mine is the exact same but yellow.

Same internals an everything.

Where the hell has your fuse gone? Not even the fuse retainers/clips are there?

Comment

Where the hell has your fuse gone? Not even the fuse retainers/clips are there?
                Obviously the manufacturer decided it was "optional extra"; there's a trace shorting the fuse connectors out on the top side.

Comment

1. The capacitor i used was from another tv power supply, the cap was the same rating.
                  That doesn't tell me the brand and series. Remember, we are remote troubleshooting. The quality of information you give us dictates our response.

5. If i leave it off for a few hours it wont come on for a bit, if i leave it off over night can i use a hair dryer to warm it up before plugging it in? Will that lower the esr? Just want to try that so i know its the caps somewhere.
                  Yes, you can use a hair dryer for a few minutes to heat up the caps.

7. I HAD a multimeter, it was a cheap one, bought it last week and it lasted 2 days.
                  I had one of those POS. Luckily it arrived DOA and now with patience I have several good Fluke used multimeters at very good prices.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, think i have fixed it.

I have circled the problem (CAP C130).

I warmed each cap up with my fingers then plugged the tv in, This cap when warmed up started the tv every time.

It is a Rubycon 25v 100uf. I have replaced it with a Teapo 25v 100uf cap from a pc psu. I let the tv sit for 30 mins then plugged it in and it came straight on.

I will now let it sit for an hour and let you know how it goes.

(I have got the pic from google images but its the same power board).

Also Retired caps, i am not sure if it was a low esr i put in it but i had to use what i could find. I am going to buy the full set of caps for it and do it properly. Mouser charge £12 delivery???

I know you will probably want to slap me but i have to ask, are these ok to use? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...r=560130592374
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, think i have fixed it.

I have circled the problem (CAP C130).

I warmed each cap up with my fingers then plugged the tv in, This cap when warmed up started the tv every time.

It is a Rubycon 25v 100uf. I have replaced it with a Teapo 25v 100uf cap from a pc psu. I let the tv sit for 30 mins then plugged it in and it came straight on.

I will now let it sit for an hour and let you know how it goes.

(I have got the pic from google images but its the same power board).

Also Retired caps, i am not sure if it was a low esr i put in it but i had to use what i could find. I am going to buy the full set of caps for it and do it properly. Mouser charge £12 delivery???

I know you will probably want to slap me but i have to ask, are these ok to use? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...r=560130592374
                      I'm sure I've got such a cap lying around - and a decent quality brand at that. You can have it including postage for £1.

Comment

I'm sure I've got such a cap lying around - and a decent quality brand at that. You can have it including postage for £1.
                        I will see if this does the trick, if it is definately that cap i will take you up on that and replace the teapo. Nice one Tom

Comment

I have Rubycon 100uF 50V ZL series in my box of caps. 3 of them if you need more.

Comment

Double

Buying caps off ebay is fraught with problems. There are counterfeits and crap caps. Your choice above falls in the latter category.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              Double

Buying caps off ebay is fraught with problems. There are counterfeits and crap caps. Your choice above falls in the latter category.

Where is the best place to buy from? Without a massive delivery charge.

Comment

Where is the best place to buy from? Without a massive delivery charge.
                                Farnell charge £5 for delivery. I work at a small electronics manufacturing company which can order any item with no delivery charge from Farnell, even a half-penny resistor. (Then again we do order about £20k of stuff from them a month - so it's probably worth losing a bit here and there!)

Comment

This tv has come back to me, now with a different problem. But that teapo i put in is still going

We now have the 2 seconds to black, all rubys on the power board, the only culprit i can see is 1 35v 1200uf cap, its not bloated but its the only one that can take the 24v for inverters.

Who hid the 2 second to black thread? Took me ages to find it.

Comment

Replaced all the caps on the psu with ones i had lying around (mostly from a ipos psu) and it still has the 2 seconds to black, but if i keep switching it on after about the tenth time it comes on and stays on?

Tried the hairdryer to warm up the caps first but still the same.

Comment

Replaced all the caps on the psu with ones i had lying around (mostly from a ipos psu) and it still has the 2 seconds to black, but if i keep switching it on after about the tenth time it comes on and stays on?

Tried the hairdryer to warm up the caps first but still the same.
                                      Any final solution for this?

Comment

this was my issue

i realise this is a 3 year old thread, but this advice helped me out a ton. in fact, i finally made an account here just to post about it! i found a philips 26HF5544D/17 by a dumpster, in great condition but soaked by the rain. i brought it home and let it dry out for a week or so, but it didn't do a thing when i plugged it in. off i went researching!

i was able to find the service manual for this tv's chassis (LC4.3HU AA), but it seems to be missing the power supply section. that pdf is attached, as it is incredibly informative otherwise. following the power distribution diagrams it does contain, i tested the +3V3STBY line and it only registered 1.73v! looks like i found the issue... but which component was it? without a schematic of the psu i was stuck following traces, and that wasn't getting me far. i tried applying 3.3v from my bench supply on that line, and the tv powered right up when i hit the power button. looking good, if i can find what's not doing its job in the psu!

i did a little more searching (for info on the plcd170p2 psu, specifically) and found this thread. reading through pointed me to C130, a rubycon cap on my board as well. i removed and tested it, and lo and behold it was registering only 66μF! it shows no visible signs of damage. i swapped it for an ancient (tested good) nichicon cap of the same spec (from an old sony crt tv!) and the tv works great now! still no red standby led except when i first plug it in, but it works perfectly otherwise so i'm happy. +3V3STBY now registers a perfect 3.33v!

thanks a lot for the info!
                                        Attached Files
                                        --ultraviolet
                                        *just dug another lcd out of the dumpster*

Comment

Working...
                                        X