Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cable modem frequently disconnects

I have a problem with my cable Motorola modem. The model no is - SB5101i

The problem is I am facing frequent internet disconnections each day for the past three months. The frequency of the disruption has just worsened over time. The first one and a half months I had to reset the coaxial cable for the modem to move on for another hour or two. Now the modem stays offline from late morning till early evening every day. During this time the modem tries to connect comes back for a few seconds or minutes then goes offline back again for a long time. So I am unable to use internet throughout the day.

But the modem works fine throughout the evening. I am able to use internet in the evening. Can you please give me a nice solution to this problem.

Re: cable modem frequently disconnects

it could be capacitors in the modem or it's psu.

but it could also be your cable supplier or the actual cable.

Comment

Has the cable modem requirements of your provider changed?
      This is a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem; could the provider now require DOCSIS 3.0 or later cable modems for their service?
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Actually the modem disconnection problem is not new. I have been facing this problem since the time I joined the ISP in 2008. This modem has not been changed since. The thing is that the disconnections were not so frequent and long lived like what I am facing now which is every day for the whole morning and afternoon. But today at afternoon the modem is luckily receiving connectivity. But this has surely not solved the problem.

The ISP has many fiber cuts outages etc. problems. I do have technicians come over a few times to check the connection. They usually then go and do something to the cables in the locality and then the connectivity gets restored for a short while a few weeks or a month.

A technician visited a few days back and told me he changed the RF modulator. This is the second time the technician has told me this. This time the connectivity was restored for only a few hours. The next morning modem had again lost connectivity.

I also recently spoke to a manager from the ISP he told me it is most likely a signal issue

For the first time from the past few days the modem is loosing connectivity every day for long periods of time the whole morning and afternoon and the ISP is not able to restore my connection.

Is there a software that can test the modem to ensure it is working fine.
        Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 08-07-2015, 05:09 AM.

Comment

does it have a webpage?
          what happens if you put the modems i.p. into your browser?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
            For the first time from the past few days the modem is loosing connectivity every day for long periods of time the whole morning and afternoon and the ISP is not able to restore my connection.

Heat?

Cable modems tend to run pretty warm, and since it is August in India, one suspects that the operating environment may be very much on the toasty side. You say it is going off line morning to afternoon, and that would correspond more or less to the warmest part of the day. If your house has A/C then the problem could still be heat, but in the ISPs circuitry. Do your neighbors lose service at the same times, or is it just you?

Comment

does it have a webpage?
              what happens if you put the modems i.p. into your browser?
              I have not activated the modem with the ISP as yet. I am connected through the Ethernet cable from router to my PC. It looks like the modem does not have a webpage. It only has a installation detection and user guide software on disc.

Comment

Do your neighbors lose service at the same times, or is it just you?
                May be the neighbors loose service too because most of the locality is connected to the came ISP and when ever I call these technicians most of the time they say work is being done in your locality, there is a fiber cut, there is a downtime in the locality or there they are experiencing a power loss.

Comment

is mumbai effected by the regional flooding?

Comment

is mumbai effected by the regional flooding?
                    Yes.

Comment

could it be humidity when the sun is up then?

Comment

More traffic during the day on a problematic network and the weather isn't helping matters.

Comment

Cable modems tend to run pretty warm, and since it is August in India, one suspects that the operating environment may be very much on the toasty side.
                          No August is not a hot time in India specially in Mumbai where the current temperature is 29 centigrade this is a very pleasant time in Mumbai it is a time when Mumbai is still receiving mild rain showers. The hottest part of the year in Mumbai is from march to may where may is the hottest and it is during this time when the temperatures sore between 37 to 40 centigrade.

Comment

Hope the ISP is lowering your rate for the terrible service.

Comment

Is there any other solution besides relying on the service of the ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
                                May be the neighbors loose service too because most of the locality is connected to the came ISP and when ever I call these technicians most of the time they say work is being done in your locality, there is a fiber cut, there is a downtime in the locality or there they are experiencing a power loss.
                                This perfectly explains your problem, I am sure there isn't anything you can do unless there is another ISP, hopefully with better service than your current one.

Comment

Could it be a week modem signal problem. Because when I get disconnected the modem leads are still on. The power, receive and PC activity leads remain on and stable while the send led keeps blinking while online led stays off. The modem stays like this for an hour or so then comes online for a few minutes then goes offline again. It also looks like the modem tries to reset it self again and again. Because when it goes offline the power led starts blinking then receive led starts blinking then send led starts blinking. The modem then gets stuck on the send blinking led and cannot come online while the power receive and PC activity leads are stable.

I have found a Motorola signal booster can this solve the problem here is the link please have a look :- http://www.amazon.in/Motorola-Signal...le+Modem+Boost
                                  Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 08-14-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

The modem access page is usually 192.168.100.1 for motorola surfboards. As others have said its usually a problem with the network and not your modem. Easiest way to solve is switch to a different network. You can check your connection by running a continuous ping from command prompt and look for lost/dropped/timed out packets. You can also run a similar test from dsl reports , "line quality test" http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Comment

As others have said its usually a problem with the network and not your modem.
                                      "Exactly" it is a problem with the network. The Motorola signal booster is a 15db cable/antenna drop amplifier. Which means if any one is having trouble receiving solid and reliable cable TV or cable modem signal should use it. It boosts the cable/antenna signal coming through the cable into the house so that one does not experience frequent outages on cable modems and pixilated (distorted) images on TV screens due to week signals.

Comment

Just to clear something up... That coax cable is going directly to your cable modem? No splitter etc in line?

Comment

Working...
                                        X