This Black-Web battery power supply for tablets and phones with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Black-Web battery power supply for tablets and phones with a twist

I have bought quite a few these from Walmart brand Black-Web battery pack quite a few times before (with the four LED light that indicates charge level runs on 4.2 volts ) but this one is a little different ( this one has the percentage of change which runs on 8.4 volts ) in 95% of them run off of 4.2 volts but this one runs off of 8.4 volts

One note I have two of them and I would not recommend taking them apart until you run the battery pack down to 0%

This is going to make a project that I want to do is going to be a lot easier with this power supply board

One note the battery packs that run off of 4.2 volts has a plastic housing
    ( easy to take apart )

The battery pack that runs off of 8.4 volts has a aluminum ( housing this battery pack is very hard to come out because of the glue that they use to keep the battery in place )

You have to cut the front of aluminum case a long each side in the middle of the rounded sides ( not to deep into the case just enough to cut the metal ) about a 1/4

( this is with two 18650 in series as a guide from the end that does not have the display )

of way down on each side and pry on top of plastic circuit board case until you can see that the glue has released from the case on top and bottom of the batteries

( the end that has the display board )

to release the glue so batteries can come out you MUST take your time doing this step and not be in a hurry or you will have an accident if you are not careful the one nice thing about the way they put this circuit board it is in a plastic case this the only reason I try to get it apart
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-30-2019, 03:53 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: This Black-Web battery power supply for tablets and phones with a twist

I took the second battery pack apart and this one was a lot faster to come apart because I learned from the first one how to take it apart
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Sigh.

I might have to get another one of these things. I had one but accidentally fed in 19V into the charging port that requires 5V... Not sure what got damaged but it's totally toast now, though there's no visible damage to the components.

If I get another, I'm not sure if I'd care if it's 4V (1S) or 8V (2S) pack. I don't mind the linear LED fuel gauge, the 7-seg doesn't do much for me.

Comment

I am going to check the accuracy of it when I get some heat sink tubing that fit these 26650 batteries but it will not be until the end of week before I get to the battery place that I buy this stuff from

Unless I decide to use some pouch type batteries that I have if I can find a case for them

There is a difference between the 1s verse the 2s version and it is the amount of current it put to the USB output connector to your tablet at least for the IPad the IPhone it does not make any real difference

One thing you might be interested in is that the batteries say that 3350 milliamperes well not exactly but close I tested two of them and got 3029 and 3085 which very good for non brand batteries

This was the pack that I took a picture of that I posted above

One note

You do not have to cut the aluminum case in the center along the side but you do have to use a couple plastic knife and put it in between the battery and case and pry up on the knife to the top and bottom of the case with a small screwdriver carefully and then you can push the batteries out it does take some time to do this so do not be in a hurry

You can see if the glue has released from the case if you shine a light inside the case
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-01-2019, 08:52 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well, the 1S configuration, discharge needs to boost to 5V and (optionally) buck to charge from 5V.

For the 2S configuration, one needs to buck to 5V for discharge, and boost from 5V to 8.4V to charge (if they use 5V charging).

So the 1S should be cheaper if they used an LDO regulator to charge, but not sure if it's that much worse. However as usual, more volts is usually more efficient, so perhaps you get a bit more life out of a 2S configuration for the battery capacity?

Comment

Update
            Build a 13 amp hour battery pack with the Black Web battery pack module in a Ryobi 40 volt battery pack housing which had to be modified to fit the battery pack module

I also bought a ZKE USB + tester that use the same software as my bigger battery tester

I ran a test on this battery pack and it has ran over 13 hours at 1 amp load

I tested the battery pack and the battery tester and both test went very well

One note the specifications that the original battery pack says was way off
            The battery pack had 3 cells per bank / 2 banks total that were a little bit fatter than a 18650 battery each cell was a little bit more than 3 amp for each cell for a total of about 9 .5 amp hours I do not know where they get 20 amp hours

I used 18650 batteries 5 cells for each bank each battery tested at a little bit over 2.75 millimeters hours each

I will post pictures later

I built this battery pack to charge my phone and tablet from a remote location when working on machines at work

Hopefully I will find a job soon but it has given me time to work on some projects that I did not have time to work on
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-02-2020, 05:53 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

Well the load test is completely done and the results are in the picture

One note I got a little bit tried of waiting for it to shutoff so I went to 2 amps at the very end
              Attached Files
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is a couple of pictures of the battery pack and the tester

This is taken while the tester is in the charge mode

Here's is picture of the data so far as the charge statue is with the battery pack being at 15% charged

The blips that you see at right hand side of the screen is when I move the charger back and forth
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-02-2020, 11:58 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well the testing is done and the results are what I was expecting to get with brand name batteries that were used

So this project is completely and finished

I am happy with the results

The testing of the batteries took the longest part ( time wise ) of this project ( 2 batteries at a time )
                  Welding of the batteries took some time as well
                  Testing of the battery pack also took some real time to complete

So from start to the finish it about a week and half to complete
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-03-2020, 06:04 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                  X