X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    On that front, even the E2160 is struggling with some pages quite a bit (e.g. Outlook email takes 10 seconds to load vs. nearly instantly with any C2Q or more modern dual core.) .
    If the motherboard supports E8600, you can probably get the CPU for $5 USD. Add ublock origin to browser and see if it helps with speedup?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      If the motherboard supports E8600, you can probably get the CPU for $5 USD. Add ublock origin to browser and see if it helps with speedup?
      Unfortunately, not that motherboard - an ASUS P5GC-MX (i945 chipset). It can only do 800 MHz FSB. That's not an issue, though, as I do have several other Dell boxes with 800 MHz FSB C2D CPUs that are in the 2.5-2.66 GHz range. And I also have about... oh 45x or so E8400 CPUs that I got for dirt cheap on eBay about a year ago (under $10 shipped! ). So what I'm actually planning on doing is putting the E8400 CPUs in the Dell PCs that support them and moving their old E4x00 CPUs onto machines that only support 800/1066 MHz FSB.

As for uBlock Origin... never tried it, but I run ABP and a custom HOSTS file. That combo has been working fine for me so far.

The problem with modern online stuff is that it uses too many scripts, and that's what does all the CPU hogging. Before anyone suggests NoScript... yes, I've tried it, and I've always been disappointed by it so far. If you disable scripts on a page, the page either doesn't display properly or at all. And if you enable most scripts to make the page work... well, you're back to square one with the same scripts that were CPU hogs anyways. Mostly has to do with those infinite scrollbars (thanks phone users! ... or rather thanks lazy bum webpage designers who do "one-size-fits-all" design for both phone and PCs users, with most features streamed towards phone users.) Outlook Webmail is notoriously bad for this, for example. It takes about a minute to "crunch through" the infinite scrollbar scripts on a "high-end" Pentium 4, about 10-15 seconds on the abovementioned E2180 PDC CPU, and 2-5 seconds or less on a higher end Core 2 Duo or Athlon /II X2 CPU. Meanwhile, Google and Yahoo webmail still offer HTML-only style, which will run on just about anything, just like Badcaps.net.

Comment

Re: HP Pavilion p7-1534... a.k.a. the APU "experiment": performance

But I guess what I find disappointing with these APUs is that they have a high frequency and modern instruction set, making one think they perform much better than any old generation chip. Yet, they don't. The fact that a C2D that is 5 years older than this APU and still beats it is the disappointing part.
        I think it's because they're based on the Bulldozer arch.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-01-2019, 12:29 AM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Lately I've been diving into laptop stuff. So I thought I should post a few of my picks. Some are WIP and some are finished laptops that I tend to use daily.

Laptop 1 - Acer Aspire 5738

ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 512MB
          Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53GHz/6MB cache/1066FSB
          6GB DDR2-800
          Seagate Momentus Thin 320GB
          Windows 7 x64
          Sony-NEC Optiarc AD-7580S DVD-RW

Laptop 2 - Acer Aspire 7520

nVidia nForce 610M/Geforce 7000M (256MB share)
          AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2GHz
          4GB DDR2-800
          2x HDDs - WD Scorpio 320GB + 250GB Seagate Momentus
          Windows 7 x64
          Hitachi-LG GSA-T40N DVD-RW

Laptop 3 - Acer Aspire 6530 (WiP)
          ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128MB
          AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80 2.1GHz
          2GB DDR2-800
          500GB HGST HDD (though I can add a second one if I want)
          Windows 7 x64
          Hitachi-LG GT30N DVD-RW (SATA)

Laptop 4 - Acer Travelmate 2494
          Intel GMA950
          Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.6GHz
          1GB DDR2-667
          no HDD yet
          Pioneer DVD-RW

Laptop 5 - HP-Compaq NX7300

Intel GMA950
          Intel Core 2 Duo T2250 (to be replaced with the T5500 from the above Acer)
          2GB DDR2-667
          Fujitsu 80GB SATA
          Hitachi-LG GMA-4082N DVD-RW
          Windows 8.1 32bit

Laptop 6 - ASUS X59SL (WiP)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 256MB
          Intel Core 2 Duo T5450
          2GB DDR2
          no HDD
          Hitachi-LG T20N DVD-RW
          no OS
          Last edited by Dan81; 11-30-2019, 01:01 PM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Newest ATX PC: (socket AM4!)

Ryzen 3 3200G

MSI B450 Tomahawk

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM (dual channel)

Radeon RX 580

eVGA 750W G3 PSU

Crucial MX500 500 GB SATA SSD
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              Newest ATX PC: (socket AM4!)

Ryzen 3 3200G

MSI B450 Tomahawk

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM (dual channel)

Radeon RX 580

eVGA 750W G3 PSU

Crucial MX500 500 GB SATA SSD
              About time you bought a ryzen! also you got the same psu as me so it looks like you made some TOP NOTCH choices! wish I knew you were building I have a ryzen 2200g ive been trying to sell for cheap. Also I hope you bent over like me and installed Windows 10!
              Last edited by BigTroll; 01-05-2020, 10:45 AM.
              My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I'm flogging an old Dell Optiplex 380 Mini Tower I picked up for $20 witha WIN7 COA on it.
                X5470 Xeon swap, 8GBDDR3 1066 Ram, MSI GTX1060 3GB OCV1 (with bracket cut in1/2 for 1 slot card mod, and trim plastic cover to length of PCB). Dimension 9150 375W PSU to run the video card.
                Cooling mod is D9729 Pentium 4 BTX heatpipe cooler in an Optiplex 745 shroud, with a monstrous Precision 390 AFC1512DG 150x50mm 1.8A. Delta fan. The bare fan replaces the whole fan assy. in the BTX Mini Towers. A piece of packing foam wedges it in place when the cover is on. Plug and play.
                https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11864164
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-21-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

A few updates to my main PC:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.6GHz
                  RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (Corsair ValueRAM 8GB + GoodRAM 8GB) (the latter is rebranded Corsair RAM)
                  GPU - Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5 (to be replaced w/ Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 8GB GDDR5)
                  PSU - FSP Bluestorm II 500W
                  SSD - ADATA SU650 120GB SATA3
                  HDD - 2x Seagate ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Mobo - Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Case - Delux MG760
                  ODD - TSSTCorp SH-224DB SATA DVDRW
                  OS - Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC
                  Audio - SB X-Fi XtremeGamer SB0730 PCI
                  Misc - Winfast PxDVR3200H TV Tuner
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Here is my 2010 iMac, the original 4670 died a couple of years ago so I replaced it with a Radeon 5670 and while I was in there replaced the i3 540 with a i3 550 so its 3.2ghz now.Has 8gb ram and a 500GB spinner I was watching trump declare the national emergency on it today.
                    Attached Files
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Heh, first gen i3/i5/i7s still pack a punch today, after 10 years from their first release.

Goes to show how sturdy Intel made their chips back then. I'd drop a 1156 Xeon in there if the board and thermals allow it
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Heh, first gen i3/i5/i7s still pack a punch today, after 10 years from their first release.

Goes to show how sturdy Intel made their chips back then. I'd drop a 1156 Xeon in there if the board and thermals allow it
                        My dad's computer has a 1st gen i7-950/965 in it. Still an absolute blazer of a CPU today.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                          My dad's computer has a 1st gen i7-950/965 in it. Still an absolute blazer of a CPU today.
                          I'm still running Harpertown & Westmere stuff, it screams.....and has zero problems keeping up. PC Processor technology hasn't made huge improvements/major breakthroughs the last 10 years save for being smaller and/or more efficient....which the mobile market demands.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                            Yup.
                            Heck, even the Core 2 Quads are still pretty respectable in terms of performance if you're not into gaming (at least not the latest titles in the last 3-4 years, that is.)

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            PC Processor technology hasn't made huge improvements/major breakthroughs the last 10 years save for being smaller and/or more efficient....which the mobile market demands.
                            Indeed.
                            If fact, if it wasn't for AMD's Ryzen, processor technology would have been even more stagnant.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            If you want pretty good OC, socket 1366 with X58 or similar chipset can get you quite far with them Xeons too.
                            Speaking of which... I have another PC project on the horizon: dual socket 1366 behemoth with 12 slots for triple channel DDR3... but thread with pics of that will come another day.

Comment

if it wasn't for AMD's Ryzen, processor technology would have been even more stagnant.
                              I highly suspect that! In 2015 and 2016, it looked like we had a "processor malaise" era. Intel wanted to price gouge HT quad-cores.
                              And for their 2012 and 2013 CPUs, Intel allegedly cheaped out on IHS TIM!

People complained about "Ivy Bridge" having bad cooling.

This looks like a minor problem in comparison, but 2015's and 2016's "Skylake" has a thin PCB and some people apparently have problems with that when mounting coolers!
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Dell OptiPlex 170L – Still My “Main” PC

Originally posted by momaka
                                Let's see if we can keep pushing our Pentium 4 PCs until 2020 - that would be sweet!
                                Well, folks, this “suggestion” (seen here) by me turned out to be true – at least for myself. Here we are in 2020 (with almost a 3rd of it gone, actually) and I’m still pushing an old socket 478 Pentium 4 in my “main” PC. I’ve had this PC in service as a main rig since 2013, yet never made a post about it here nor posted pictures. So here comes that…

I suppose this will probably be one of the dullest and most boring PCs you’ll seen in this thread, because it’s more or less a nearly bone-stock Dell OptiPlex 170L “mini-tower” office PC.

Pictures:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1585012855

What did I tell you – boooooring!

But this thing has been an absolute workhorse. I saved it from getting scrapped / junked around the end of 2012 through a co-worker, who picked up 2-3 of these from another friend of his, but said he didn’t need this many and was wondering what to do with them. All of these PCs were doing front desk / office duty for a local park authority, from what I was told, IIRC. I picked up two that he didn’t want. They were extremely dusty and came with only 40 GB Western Digital HDDs. I cleaned up one and gave it to close family friends of ours, who before that had only an old AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz desktop that was extremely slow. This was also quite outdated when I gave it to them (end of 2012 or thereabouts), but loads better than what they had – especially with a clean Windows XP SP2 install.

The other one of these Dell PCs, I kept for myself as I was about to start college again in a different university a little further from home, and wanted to have a nice reliable PC to do [home]work on. This OptiPlex 170L did exactly that – has been 100% reliable and solid!!! I set it up in my college apartment at the beginning of 2013 and used it until I graduated in 2015. Then I moved back at my parent’s place and continued using it as a main PC. At first, I thought I’d only used it for a year or two more, as I had many other PC builds planned. But day after day passed while I still planned and experimented with these other PC builds / parts… until here we are in 2020, and I’m still pushing this thing as a “daily driver”. Amazing how much an old machine like this can do, at least in regards to mundane tasks like email duty, online shopping, and word processing (well, when it comes to emails, most modern providers will bog it down unless switched to HTML or more friendly and compatible view.) Back when I set it up, I also used it a ton for YouTube (in the days when Flash was still a thing, that PC could easily do 720p), along with a few early 2000’s or older games (whatever could run on the on-board IGP.)

The specs of this Dell OptiPlex 170L:
                                CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Prescott HT 2.8 GHz (800 MHz FSB), socket 478
                                RAM: 1280 MB DDR PC3200 @ 400 MHz single channel ( 1 GB + 256 MB ) --> now upgraded to 2 GB as of this writing.
                                Video: on-board Intel Extreme Graphics 2 through motherboard i865 chipset
                                HDD: single 80 GB Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N (7200 RPM, 3.5”, PATA / IDE)
                                Optical: Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HL-DT-ST) GCC-4482b CD-RW / DVD-ROM
                                PSU: HiPro / Chicony HP-P2507FPW rev-A01, 250 Watt ATX with original Teapo caps
                                OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit (OEM COA on case) with select patches

System screenshots:

I know … It’s embarrassing POSTing this PC in this day and age. At the same time, I’m still amazed a PC like this can still manage to be somewhat useful today (granted with a tad of patience, given how slow some websites can be.) That being said, I was really ready to retire it when Badcaps.net did the server upgrade in February and my Opera 12 stopped working due to not having the latest / last release of Opera 12. But after getting that squared out (thanks to hints from members’ suggestions here), I’ve decided to push using this PC a bit longer again – at least until I decide what to upgrade to next.

In the mean time, I’ve increased the RAM to the maximum this OptiPlex 170L can take: 2 GB of DDR PC3200. Now I can run FireFox 52 ESR (or newer) and not run out of RAM like I did before with the 1.25 GB. The next (and possibly last) upgrade I have planned is to add a PCI video card that is better than the onboard. For this, I have a PNY GeForce 8400 GS PCI with 512 MB DDR2. It’s quite a weak video card by 2020 standards too, but many times better than the on-board i865 / Intel Extreme Graphics 2. At least the 8400 GS offers H.264 hardware decoding / encoding, so it might actually off-load the CPU for online video watching / browsing. Once that is done, I don’t think there will be anything else worth upgrading on this PC. I actually also have two 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 Prescott HT CPUs here. But I will have to check what TDP they have as I’d rather keep the thermals the same. Might not be worth it for the extra 400 MHz, which probably won’t make a difference on a CPU that old (especially the P4 dinosaur architecture.) Another possible upgrade I’ve been thinking about (for fun, at least) is add in / solder the missing AGP slot (have one from a scrapped Dell OptiPlex 260 board) – probably won’t ever happen though.

Anyways, this post was made not so much to show off this PC, but more as a tribute. It’s served me well, so I think it deserves an honorable mention here.
                                And will continue serving me until I come up with another machine that I feel is equally reliable.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by momaka; 03-23-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Funny story, around 2013/2014 we had a 170l at the school, my co-worker gave me a soyo board with the beautiful Silver Sacon caps none bulged, it had an AMD duron in it so I put it in the 170L since I needed a case and wanted a vintage AMD rig, my co-worker and I took the same day off and the assholes up north took advantage by cleaning our room out and throwing my soyo duron 170L away, I was really pissed that they thought it was great......

Comment

damn i hate it when good stuff goes to waste! i hope u trolled the hell outta them and told them off good! that would act as a good deterrant against those focking looters from taking away your stuff again!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                      damn i hate it when good stuff goes to waste! i hope u trolled the hell outta them and told them off good! that would act as a good deterrant against those focking looters from taking away your stuff again!!
                                      heh yeah, the person who helped with that cleanup is no longer working for us and nothing like that has happened again but it is very sad to see how much stuff gets thrown away, even 4th gen haswell systems are being sent to the recyclers now. I know in fact some of the systems we recycled made it on ebay, so at least some got a second chance. I would love to just give them away but that would be gifting of public funds or some bs like that.

Comment

Restored an oldie, which basically is my old Q9400, before it got replaced with the i5 3470.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
                                        Gigabyte EP45T-DS3R
                                        2x2GB DDR3-1333
                                        Leadtek PX9500GT 1GB DDR2
                                        Scythe Mine SCMN-1100 LGA775 cooler
                                        Western Digital WD1600AVJS 160GB AV series SATA HDD
                                        Allied AL-8400BTX 400W (recapped and with big ass transformers + upgraded sillicon)
                                        ASUS 16x DVD-RW (white)
                                        JNC TAC-FQ-70 case (made from parts, has lotsa leds lol)
                                        Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                          heh yeah, the person who helped with that cleanup is no longer working for us and nothing like that has happened again but it is very sad to see how much stuff gets thrown away, even 4th gen haswell systems are being sent to the recyclers now. I know in fact some of the systems we recycled made it on ebay, so at least some got a second chance. I would love to just give them away but that would be gifting of public funds or some bs like that.
                                          The usual way around that is to either donate them to a non-profit or auction them off.

Local university has monthly auctions where damn near everything that you would consider saleable is up for grabs (including items that were placed in their "lost and found").

Local hospitals tend not to want to be bothered hosting an auction so just gift the items to non-profits. This is where I tend to come across most of my NiB items (hospitals are notoriously wasteful and tend to also stick to the short update cycles of most businesses).

Comment

Working...
                                          X