Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Xbox Aerogel Capacitor Removal/Replacements

Hey..

I saw that people had problems with an Aerogel Cap? Never heard of these.. Apparently used like a battery and keeps time on the xbox when unplugged.. Similiar to the cr battery in your desktop computer..

I was reading https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8879 and wondering what value I should get for cap replacements and recommendations on where to go as I am in Canada.. Does a higher farad rating really give longer "battery" life in this application?..

283-2776-ND (1.0F 2.5V aerogel) [stock value]
    283-2780-ND (3.3F 2.5V aerogel) I used these for a ludicrous amount of extra clock backup time.
    I'd like to replace mine aswell.. Might take a closer look at my PSUs aswell..

Please let me know what you think..

Thanks,
    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM.

Re: Original Xbox Aerogel Capacitor Removal/Replacements

I used the 3.3F in one of my xboxes and it does give extra clock backup time. Although some have suggested just leaving it off because the replacement will likely leak someday too.

Comment

Ok.. I do I will be doing the boxes I have shortly.. Can you confirm lead spacing is 5mm? I have this search on Mouser.. http://ca.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...z0sch4Z1z0scgs

Do you know of this cap failing on lots of people?

Thanks,
      Last edited by Yatti420; 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatti420 View Post

Do you know of this cap failing on lots of people?

Yes they do fail - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25382

Comment

Ok.. Is this a known problem with this type of cap? I'm just looking at these caps now..Think I have the search correct.. Can anybody confirm lead spacing / dimensions? Looks 5mm and 8.5 wide?..
          Last edited by Yatti420; 08-11-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Nvm.. Took from Data sheet.. First xbox of the day.. Power supply is kapooty and aerogel had gone south.. It looks like it almost eats the surface mounted stuff around it....

Having trouble getting the last pin out.. Once its free and everything looks good ill test them out minus the aerogel for now.. I'd like to have a long term high quality replacement.. Preferably same size dimensions as stock.. Looks like same series I can only increase to 2.2F from digikey..

Comment

So first xbox of the day is complete.. Odd thing is it has poly caps in it around processor never saw this before.. Nichichon PW series elsewhere..

Second box has same aerogel cap bad.. PSU (foxconn) in great shape though.. KZE around processor Nichichon PW elsewhere..

I'm gonna assume the third box has same issue..

Comment

I don't think it is good to replace it with another aerogel branded capacitor, which is probably going to leak eventually like the old one.

I'd use one from CDE or NEC or panasonic.

Edit ... the thing is, almost all of the supercapacitors are rated at 1000 hours at 70 degreees celcius. Being inside a steaming hot XBOX, I can see why the original failed like it did...
                Last edited by ben7; 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

This is an original xbox.. Shouldn't get that hot at all.. Problem seems to be age related.. All 3 boxes I have all have aerogel leakage.. So all 3 are coming out and replacements coming.. These are all v1.0 xbox.. Active GPU fan..

3rd box has poly caps around CPU and LXY series elsewhere.. LXZ on the powersupply for a nice match in this box.. PW(M) around the power area..

I Can stick with same brand easily.. Direct replacements seem cheapest.. I did see some panasonics avail which are rated for 60C.. 10C lower then stock..

I was thinking this as the dimensions should work height wise..
                  Panasonic Electric Double Layer Capacitors (Gold Capacitor) / HZ - 2.5V 3.3F
                  Mouser Part #:
                  667-EEC-HZ0E335
                  Manufacturer Part #:
                  EEC-HZ0E335

Comment

Originally posted by Yatti420 View Post
                    This is an original xbox.. Shouldn't get that hot at all.. Problem seems to be age related.. All 3 boxes I have all have aerogel leakage.. So all 3 are coming out and replacements coming.. These are all v1.0 xbox.. Active GPU fan..

3rd box has poly caps around CPU and LXY series elsewhere.. LXZ on the powersupply for a nice match in this box.. PW(M) around the power area..

I Can stick with same brand easily.. Direct replacements seem cheapest.. I did see some panasonics avail which are rated for 60C.. 10C lower then stock..

I was thinking this as the dimensions should work height wise..
                    Panasonic Electric Double Layer Capacitors (Gold Capacitor) / HZ - 2.5V 3.3F
                    Mouser Part #:
                    667-EEC-HZ0E335
                    Manufacturer Part #:
                    EEC-HZ0E335
                    A direct replacement is probably cheapest. However replacing the aerogel with a capacitor of higher quality will probably last much longer (of course most likely at a higher cost).

Comment

I can find the same brand and cap / or same brand slightly higher capacitence.. I just need to measure/fit everything to make Sure it works and fits.. I think the 2.2F was approx 8mm X 20mm with 3.5mm spacing ..

Comment

I ordered these as a stock replacement.. 604-1149-ND.. Cheapest also not same brand as what im pulling out.. We will see how they hold up.. Should fit fine as the PW(M) is 10x20..

Comment

On eBay Australia, I saw some Samwha 400F 2.7V supercaps at a great price - I think this would last without a recharge for a couple of weeks at least!
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I just needed something as a quick replacement to bring these boxes back to stock.. All 4 completed here.. No issues using the ELNA.. Only difference is as follows..

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search...rt=604-1149-ND

The comparison between stock and the ELNA equivalents are here.. Difference I see is ESR.. 1 Ohm (ELNA) versus 500mOhm (STOCK-ORIGINAL) Does this mean the ELNA will dissipate charge faster?
                            Last edited by Yatti420; 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

FYI: Aerogel isn't a brand but a material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Which is used for, among other things, in supercapacitors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor

IMHO this technology is still in its infancy... hence the lower durability.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Original Xbox Aerogel Super Capacitor Removal/Replacements

Indeed a supercapacitor.

Comment

thanks for all the informations !!

Comment

Working...
                                  X