Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 buzzing and crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 buzzing and crackling

You need to take off the front plastic bezel, and then the top edge of the metal frame that overlaps the panel. The EMI strip is attached inside the frame wedged between it and the glass panel. Be gentle with the panel!

Comment

im having trouble taking the front bezel off, the clips on the top are hard to release. thanks

Comment

Remove the four screws/plugs along the bottom edge of the bezel plus two long screws that go through the back of the TV into the bezel at either end of the TV (prob already removed if back is off). Then you have to hinge the whole bezel up from the bottom to about 30 degrees and it will come off the clips at the top. I'm assuming it's the same as the 9G models I've worked on. Otherwise if you can get the service manual it should have instructions.

Comment

how do the clips come out, do i just pull them straight out? i dont want to break anything.

Comment

The ones along the bottom? Unscrew the screws maybe half way and then pull the screw to pull the little plug out with it. The ones on the top should release easily once the bezel is lifted to the required angle.

Comment

when i pull off the metal frame on all sides there is no crackling sound and there is way less buzz. emi strip doesnt look degraded but does look flattened out a bit (never done this before)does that mean it needs new emi strip?is it the same strip you linked? thanks
              Last edited by Matcat; 02-23-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Probably yes. Without the frame there is nothing to arc to. On mine the foam inside the strip was obviously deteriorated and the strip looked hollow is how I would describe it. But also you can take a multimeter on continuity/diode/ohms mode and measure between the surface of the strip and the metal frame at various points. You should get a beep or low ohms all the way along. If not it's not conducting well and should be replaced.

Comment

most of the strips are hollow, if i push down hard enough i get conductivity

Comment

Definitely replace them.

Comment

ok received the strips they are the same ones you linked.
                      how do i apply them? they are 30 cm long and they are not cut straight.
                      do i cut them straight? do i overlap them so there are no gaps?

thanks
                      Last edited by Matcat; 03-26-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

You can cut the ends straight so they meet a bit more flush but I wouldn't overlap as it would end up too thick. Just try to get them to meet up nice and close without a gap. It's not too difficult.

Comment

ok replaced the strips and put back together the tv
                          the static sound has completely gone. Thank-you

It still buzzes fairly loudly, seems to be coming from the coils at the back of the unit, is there any solution for this?

Comment

Yup. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems some just do buzz more than others. One I had later on had the EMI strips in perfect condition but was louder than the one I replaced them on. If you read through you'll see I did dunk the vsus transformer in varnish before I figured out the strips were bad which may have contributed a little to quietening that one. I guess some of us were hoping this would be a magic solution to making our Kuros super quiet but it looks like it may only help in some of the cases.

How does the buzz volume compare to when you had the frame off?

Glad it helped out with the static sound at least.

Comment

Also as previously mentioned, energy save mode 2 seems a necessity for some of them.

Comment

pretty sure the buzzing was way less with the frames off but i cant be sure
                                energy save mode 2 helps a bit
                                Last edited by Matcat; 04-09-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Hello folks, sorry to revive an old thread.

My KRP 500A has started the same issue. While I was gaming it just began with the noises. I only have 7K hours on it. I have ordered the strips linked in this thread but it will take weeks before it arrives I gather as im in EU. Is it ok I have the tv on couple of hours a day untill its fixed or will it damage the tv etc? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                  X