• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

TK Caps must be added to the bad list. they are made by OST

Comment

also YC branded caps. i took some bulged ones out of a psu i re-capped. they were mized in with the yellow fuhjyyus (also bulged), they looked identical, so i think fuhjyyu makes YC branded caps.

Comment

Yc is yang-chung enterprises. They make their own.

TK is a japanese brand who are distributed by OST.

Comment

ok then, YC makes fuhjyyu. one or the other. they looked IDENTICAL EXACTLY they were the same 2 caps. one said fuhjyyu one said YC other than that they were the same. im not shouting
          Last edited by shovenose; 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Why are you shouting? Nobody else is.

Comment

I have been upgrading some phono preamps lately and found these caps:

Xunda
              L.H. Nova
              Fujicon
              Acon

I replaced them with Panasonic's not because they were failing but because they seem cheap and nasty, there was an improvement in performance in every case.

Makes me wonder about the poly caps in them now.

Comment

I have found three more bad cap brands "S.I.", "KSC", and "Sanyo"

YES I said Sanyo, and if you want to see I can take pics for you.

-Ben
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yes I would like to see pics of these "Sanyo" capacitors.

Comment

I just took apart a 'smart' battery charger to replace a locked-up Jamicon Fan and seen some 'Sancon' caps. Anybody ever heard of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45ws View Post
                      I just took apart a 'smart' battery charger to replace a locked-up Jamicon Fan and seen some 'Sancon' caps. Anybody ever heard of them?
                      How is your Chinese?
                      http://www.sancon.com.cn/
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Maybe add THICON to the list. Suspected cause of buzzing sound on a DVD player; it filters the primary side. 47uF/400V. Perhaps it is a knock off of TAICON? A knock off of knock offs.

Xunda crapacitors brought down a nice 19" Xerox I got for free. (Classic symptoms: sometimes won't turn on, or when switched on, LCD fades from image straight to white.) Recapped with Chemicon KZG, going strong now.

Samwha go on the bad list as do Samyoung - found both brands failed in an LG LCD and an LG Plasma. The Samyoung in an LG Plasma (Thomson Wysius branded) worth almost £3,000 when new! Quality... what happened to it?

Jamicon - found in failed power line adapters - 1000u 6.3V - though looked at the series and it is a general purpose 1000hr cap so not surprising it failed in effectively the oven which is the power line adapter. (They get hot. VERY hot.)

JH and TF brand capacitors failed. Found them inside a Lexsor 32" LCD TV. Values failed included 820uF 35V, 680uF 25V and 1000uF 16V, among others.

I got a pleasant surprise when I opened up my 19 year old HP 54501A oscilloscope. Full of Chemicon and Nichicon! And a *lot* of them. Not one even slightly bulging. For example it had 8 parallel 2200uF 35V capacitors for the 12V bus and it is rated for 200W. Primary side were two 560uF 200V Rubycons. I open up a modern 300W PC power supply and find a wimpy 820uF 16V filtering the 12V rail.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tom66; 08-23-2011, 06:42 PM.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I wonder who makes the FU-YU caps I posted in the photo thread. They don't like having their rated voltage applied to them. They don't blow up, but their capacitance drops over time.

Comment

Is there (or can someone make) a similar list of bad caps-using motherboard manufacturers and also, perhaps more useful for people like me who are going to be buying new ones and aren't the technical type - a list of good-caps using motherboard manufacturers? Or even... one motherboard guaranteed to be legit. I realize that any piece of hardware could likely have problems down the line, but it would be nice to have fewer worries right off the bat. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                              I have found three more bad cap brands "S.I.", "KSC", and "Sanyo"

YES I said Sanyo, and if you want to see I can take pics for you.

-Ben
                              Sanyo are good reliable caps.
                              There are LOTs of counterfeit Sanyos out there though.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by meastrosity View Post
                                Is there (or can someone make) a similar list of bad caps-using motherboard manufacturers and also, perhaps more useful for people like me who are going to be buying new ones and aren't the technical type - a list of good-caps using motherboard manufacturers? Or even... one motherboard guaranteed to be legit. I realize that any piece of hardware could likely have problems down the line, but it would be nice to have fewer worries right off the bat. Thanks.
                                They don't keep the reference lists/posts/stickies up to date here.
                                I've been here for 6 years and haven't seen that happen once.
                                That's a shame because some of them actually have WRONG information that wasn't known to be wrong at the time.
                                -
                                'Good caps' and 'bad caps' is actually a poor choice of words.
                                Some 'good caps' go bad and some 'bad caps' last forever.
                                'Reliable' vs 'Unreliable' is a better way to think about it.
                                -
                                -
                                With certain exceptions [see below] if it's a Japanese, US, or UK brand rated for 105°C then it's reliable.
                                - And, if it's not one of those - it's not.

[There are real reasons but I'm not up for another book tonight. This will be long enough...]
                                -
                                On mobos 85°C temp rated can occasionally be a problem no matter who made them.
                                - A 105°C '2000 hr' cap lasts 4x longer than a 85°C '2000 hr' cap.
                                - And NO, the 'hrs' in data sheets is NOT 'Useful Lifetime' but it's proportional to the Useful Lifetime when comparing caps.
                                - Lifetime has been explained before. Use the search.

ALL the "good brands" have websites you can find with Google.

Jap brands gone bad:
                                -
                                Chemicon KZG, KZJ, TMV, TMZ have very high failure rates.
                                They appear not handle heat well.
                                Also KZG & KZJ will often fail without bloating or leaking. [Just replace them.]
                                The other Chemicon series are fine. [Except possibly 85°C caps.]
                                -
                                Nichicon HN and HM series with date codes 2001 thru 2004 had a manufacturing defect.
                                Date code format: H0233 . The 02 = year 2002 ,, the 33 = week 33.
                                Nichicon HN and HM series made in 2000 or before and 2005 or after are fine.
                                The other Nichicon series are fine. [Except possibly 85°C caps.]
                                [Some people are paranoid about year 2005 caps but the problem was discovered in 2004 and all the defective caps were pulled from the supply channels. Nichicon announced the problem publicly and didn't hide a thing. Not true of some of the companies that bought and used the defective caps.]
                                -
                                'TK' brand [Toshin Kogyo] are a Japanese brand that has proven to be unreliable in general.
                                -
                                And as said any brand where they used 85°C caps instead of 105°C will -occasionally- cause problems.
                                Usually happens on boards over 4-5 years old or in cases with temp/cooling issues.
                                This is not really due to the quality of the 85°C caps.
                                The problem is 85°C caps are a poor choice for use on motherboards.

__
                                Samxon is a non-Jap brand that has proven it's self at least in some higher grade series. [GD, GC, GA, RS].
                                Some of their lower grade caps have had issues. [Search the forum.]
                                I don't follow the lower grades that closely because the lower grades are easy to find in Japanese brands.

~~~~
                                There in a nutshell is the bulk of what you need to know about 'Reliable' vs 'Unreliable' brands/series.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-24-2011, 12:25 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Anyone know who makes these fine specimens - searched for TF but not prepared to wade through the 10m hits on thin film. I think they should be on a list. Its a board out of a 20" Bush tv - granted its old but all the caps had gone and it works now I have replaced them.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

TF like these? http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/t_other.html

Nantong (or Nantung, depending on what part of their site you look at):
                                    http://www.nantongcapacitors.com/

They seem to make all the CDxxx series.

Comment

"CD" is used by 1/2 [or more] of the cap manufacturers on the planet.

CD = Condenser,,, the old world name for capacitor.

If some company makes 5 different transformers they might make their part numbers.
                                      T01
                                      T02
                                      T03
                                      T04
                                      T05
                                      -- And a few 100 other companies might do exactly the same part numbers for their COMPLETELY DIFFERENT transformers.

"CD" is used the same way in the cap industry.
                                      Tells you exactly nothing about who made the cap.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

I think there is a standard with Chinese electrolytics with a "CDxxx" series system.
                                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I thought that too for a while but I've since seen identical CD#'s from different manufacturers with different specs so that isn't true.
                                          I have also seen A LOT lot of CD#'s that match up for specs across manufacturers, but not -all- of them do.
                                          I also remember one manufacturer that used a CD# to designate the can size no matter which of their series it was in.
                                          That one took a while to figure out what they were doing.
                                          Like: The data sheet for their 'whatever' series had different CD#s for the various caps in the series listed IN the actual data sheet for the series.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X