Strix GTX 970 powers up, but PC does not POST + no video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strix GTX 970 powers up, but PC does not POST + no video

Alright so I got a faulty Strix 970 which prevents the PC from POSTing when plugged in and there is obviously no picture either. The fans on the card spin up on boot and the indicator LED on the rear lights up, but the computer won't POST and the keyboard is non-responsive. There is no video out on HDMI, Displayport or DVI.

There are no shorts on the +12V inputs. I have measured 1.0V on all core VRM inductors and 1.1V to the memory chips. 3.3V and 5V are also present so everything seems to check up voltage-wise however I am not certain if I have measured everything that I should (I'm new to this)

When powered on the GPU die itself does not get hot within like 20 seconds and all seems normal but the card just won't boot... At the moment I am suspecting that there might be something wrong with either the BIOS or the GPU itself, but is there anything else that I should check? Can a corrupt VBIOS cause the whole PC to hang on POST?

Re: Strix GTX 970 powers up, but PC does not POST + no video

So I managed to obtain the board schematics and I went through all of the components on the board, and didn't find any missing components *except* for three of the tiny components right next to the GPU die itself. The previous owner must have scrubbed too hard when removing old thermal paste or something. Could those three missing components (probably capacitors??) next to the die cause the card to not be detected properly and abort the POST process?
    Last edited by jackster; 12-01-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Re: Strix GTX 970 powers up, but PC does not POST + no video

In case the card does not work due to the 3 missing 0201 decoupling capacitors, what kind of capacitance values do you think they could have? I might try replacing the missing caps with new ones but I don't know what capacitance they should be...

Comment

Working...
      X