CapXon, CapXon, CapXon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CapXon, CapXon, CapXon!

I've rescued no fewer than 4 LCD TVs of various East Asian makes from CapXon caps. Only done two when I had my camera handy, however.

First one was an "Akai" 27" 720p.

Yuuuuck. >.<

I really loved whoever designed that PSU - the caps right under the heatsink were a JOY to remove. An even LARGER joy to reinstall.

Recapped it with what I had to hand - yes, I know the ESR is all wrong, etc, I will redo it properly later. I was just practicing, as this was a "throwaway" project and my first re-cap.

Next TV was an Olevia 42". I got this one from a friend, he said it just stopped working one day.

Surprise!

Currently in the process of recapping this one for the second time around, I had it completely reassembled and was looking at my invoice from Newark when I noticed that the 3 1000 uF / 35v caps I got were rated only 85c. I'm going to take pics when it's finished and pretty, and not showing 3 Rubycons being slowly cooked to death.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-17-2016, 12:27 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Re: CapXon, CapXon, CapXon!

Welcome to the forums, iKitsune!

I'm glad that the repairs are going well.

In the picture of the first TV power supply that you are repairing, what is the brand and series of the replacement electrolytics marked "(M) 35V"?

Inside flat-panel TVs, they can get very hot inside... in the Akai power supply, the CapXon KF series were not rated for this application.

In switching power supplies, I always recommend 105C units in all sections.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

They look like EPCOS

Comment

These companies spend good money on a 42" LCD panel and yet don't want to spend an extra few dollars on decent capacitors in the PSU (which is the most critical part)

It makes me angry!
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
          Welcome to the forums, iKitsune!

I'm glad that the repairs are going well.

In the picture of the first TV power supply that you are repairing, what is the brand and series of the replacement electrolytics marked "(M) 35V"?

Inside flat-panel TVs, they can get very hot inside... in the Akai power supply, the CapXon KF series were not rated for this application.

In switching power supplies, I always recommend 105C units in all sections.
          I think they are EPCOS. The Akai was purchased as "dead unit, intact panel" from a local electronics recycling place. I'm intending on eventually redoing both of these with the appropriate Rubycon and/or United Chemicon caps, rather than just whatever I have to hand that matches the ratings. Before I went and spent money on them, I wanted to make sure the rest of the unit worked.

I wouldn't put anything less than 105c caps in a PSU under any circumstances.
          Last edited by iKitsune; 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24
            These companies spend good money on a 42" LCD panel and yet don't want to spend an extra few dollars on decent capacitors in the PSU (which is the most critical part)

It makes me angry!
            I know, right? The 42" was a $1300 TV when it was new, too, and it had the same CapXons as a $399 Akai.

Comment

OK, another day, more f***ing CapXons. Got a 19" ViewSonic VX1962. Symptoms are backlight dies after ~3 seconds. Lamps test fine on another inverter I've got around. So I pulled the little inverter/power section apart.

Oooops.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-17-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

CapXon are LAME LAME LAME !
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                  CapXon are LAME LAME LAME !
                  I'd argue they're worse than that.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Hello,

Found this topic when having a look at a "black screen" on a Viewsonic N4060w.
                    I'm not a professional electronic engineer of any kind however it seems pretty easy to do a recap.
                    I've ordered replacement caps. Here is overview of the board before fixing.

I'm planning on replacing these 11 caps.
                    Fingers crossed
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-17-2016, 12:29 PM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Viewsonic N4060w saved with a few cheap caps.
                      Going to be used as occasional entertainment in basement. Not that bad for my first recap
                      Attached Files

Comment

Excuse me, where I can buy new CapXon-s? I want to recap my TV
                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                          Excuse me, where I can buy new CapXon-s? I want to recap my TV
                          Aliexpress, perhaps? Though they might not be genuine CapXon, maybe re-sleeved Fuhjyyu. Still just as good though.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                            Aliexpress, perhaps? Though they might not be genuine CapXon, maybe re-sleeved Fuhjyyu. Still just as good though.
                            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Why BadCaps doesn't supply the users with so needed CapXons?
                              I really, really need authentic CapXon-s!
                              Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                              1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

i'm sure some of us could sell you some cheap "refurbished" ones.

Comment

Ive got alot of all values, £4 a cap as quite rare to find working

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    i'm sure some of us could sell you some cheap "refurbished" ones.
                                    There are things, that can be done only with CapXon-s! Like blowing PSU-s, for example you want to make bomb(?) - just stick C4 on some PSU with CapXons. Perfect detonator. Works flawless. By choosing the correct series of the CapXon brand you can even choose the time for detonation with high precision..
                                    Last edited by televizora; 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

10 years from now, AudioPhiles will be re-sleeving rubycon & panasonic caps with old capxon sleeves to "keep it looking original"

Comment

Finished repairing a LG Flatron W1943S , and the culprit is one orphan 1000mf 10v , which kept it in stand by . It's a Sus'con a cousin of capXon it seems , lol ..

Comment

Working...
                                        X