Lenovo G50-80 Turns on and off within 4-5 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenovo G50-80 Turns on and off within 4-5 seconds

Made a bigger list now. Measured also the signals Mcplslg123 named. I measured everything three times because I got different readings as in my previous reply:

SYS_POWEROK pin 8 0v
    SUS_VCCP pin 34 0v
    PBTN_OUT# pin 86 3.3 v
    PCH_PRW_EN pin 97 3.3v
    PCH_PWROK pin 99 0v
    LID_SW pin 109 3.3v
    PM_SLP_S3# pin 18 0v
    PM_SLP_S4# pin 21 0v
    PM_SLP_S5# pin 106 0v
    PM_SLP_SUS# pin 87 0v
    EC_ON pin 111 3.3v
    EC_LID OUT pin 2 3v
    EC_VR ON pin 125 2.5v
    DPWROK
    DPWROK_EC pin 35 3.3v
    EC_RSMRST pin 93 3.3v
    PCH_RSMRST#
    PLT_RST pin 22 0v
    VCC pin 11 0v
    AVCC pin 74 3.3v
    SYS_ON pin 107 3.3v
    MAINPWON pin79 0v
    ON_OFF pin 110 3.3v

The fact that LID_SW is 3.3v bothers me. I guess this is the signal that tell the computer the screen lid is closed. I can imagine that the laptop want fire up in that case. More is the fact that the laptop has had a fall causing one of the hinges has been broken. I have not been able to find a fysical switch or something in the laptop so I don't know how it gives the signal open / closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilbert61b View Post
      3. + 3V_PCH couldn't find this one. Q25 has 5 volt on the source and 0 on gate and drain. according to the scheme that is correct because it switches 5VALW to 5VS. So I guess I am missing something here
      In fact it's +3VALW_PCH here, and on this motherboard +3V_PCH is apparently connected to +3VALW as seen on page 46 with J7.
      So check +3VALW_PCH, it should be ok.

4. PCH_RSMRST# couldn't find this one. Read page 44 again and again, blow it up to 200% but I guess my eyes are getting old ;-)
      Check EC_RSMRST# for this one.

6. PM_SLP_S3# pin 18 --> 0 volt
      PM_SLP_S4# pin 21 --> 0 volt
      PM_SLP_S5# pin 106 --> 3.3 volt
      PM_SLP_SUS# pin 87 --> 3.3 volt
      7. SYSON pin 107 --> 3.3 volt
      8. SUS_VCCP pin 34 --> 3.3 volt
      9. SUSP# pin 124 --> 0 volt
      SUSP# doesn't come up because there is no PM_SLP_S4# which is kind of a bother to trace out.
      However if PM_SLP_S4# is missing, SYSON and SUS_VCCP should be missing too.

Check if you have +1.35V on PL307.
      Check if you have +1.05V on PL701.

I have been looking to find the PCH. Maybe I am to much a newbe at this stuff. I understand (google) it is the Platform Controller Hub and it it handels the signals to the hardware like display, sound etc. What ic is this here and on what page did I miss it.
      On post-Haswell platform (so Broadwell is included) with U or Y variant of CPU, the PCH is on the same package as the CPU (so it's soldered onboard too), it's the smaller die.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Ups, didn't see your newer message.

Now you're missing PM_SLP_S5# too apparently.
        Make sure you're on AC power and not on battery power.
        Then check VCCRTC, INTVRMEN, SRTC_RST#, RTC_RST#, +3VALW_PCH, EC_RSMRST# and PBTN_OUT#, with AC adapter connected and after pressing power button once.

LID_SW# at 3.3V is ok. It's an active low signal (denoted by the # here) so it's active at 0V. The lid switch shorts this signal to ground when it's active (ie. lid closed) hence the 0V on the line when it's closed, and since there is a pull-up resistor to a +3V line, this is 3.3V when the lid is open.
        Also, for a few years now it's not a switch anymore but a hall-effect sensor, located sometimes on motherboard but more usually on the daughterboard, as the power switch board for example, and there is a tiny magnet behind the screen front bezel that activates it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check out tomorrow. It's midnight here right now ;-)

Comment

Ok, had some time tonight. I mesured the next things:

PM_SLP3-4-5# give 3 volt when I push the power button. Just for 2-3 seconds.

VCCRTC gives me 3 volt on PD703
            +3VALW_PCH gives 3.3 v on J7
            EC_RSMRST# gives 3.3 volt
            PBTN_OUT# gives 3.3 volt

PL307 and PL701 give 0 volt on both sides

tried to mesure RTC_RST# on QE3 but couldn't find it on the mobo and I'm not sure how the mesure on the CPU (same for INTVRMEN and SRTC_RST#)

Thanks in advance! and happy holidays and best wishes for 2018!!

Don know

Comment

Everything with the power adapter and after pushing powerbutton!

Comment

Ok so good news, you have PM_SLP_S4#. It also means that the other signals that you could not measure are OK. The PCH is initializing correctly and transitionning between power states.
                You even have PM_SLP_S3# so check that you get the SYSON signal and the +1.35V power rail.
                Now check again SUSP# and if it's present, check the next signals in the power sequence diagram.
                Check those signals as you did before, right after pressing power button.

Comment

Dr Piernov,

First best wishes for 2018 for you and your family!!

Ok, mobo powerd by the adapter. When I push the powerbutton I get 3.3 volt on SUSP#. When I release it it drops to zero. Syson the same and the 1.35v rail (PL307) also. So when I push the pwr button they have power and when I release it it drops.

I have tried to check VR_ON and VR_REDY but I couldn't find them. They should be on PU901 but where is it?
                  PCH_PWROK and SYS_PWROK give again 3.3 volt when pwr button is pushed. But they drop when released. Haven't been able to measure PM_DRAM_PWRGD, H_CPUPWRGD and CPU_PLTRST I guess they are somwhere on the CPU/PCH

I'm trying to understand the names of the signals. So I have some guesses:

SYS_PWROK System power OK?
                  PCH_PWROK PCH power OK?
                  VR_ON Voltage Rail ON?
                  EC Embedded Controller?
                  SLP Sleep?
                  RSMRST something Reset?
                  SRTC ?
                  INTVRMEN ?

Helps me understand what I am doing ;-)

Comment

PU901 should be the CPU VCore buck controller. On this motherboard it's labelled PU908 (check page 59 of the schematics), it is often close to the CPU on the other side of the board.
                    I guess that since the PCH is on the same package as the CPU, the CPU reset signal is not exposed. You may check PLT_RST# instead of CPU_PLTRST (those signals usually come in sequence or at the same time).
                    When the CPU gets its reset signal, it starts processing instructions at the reset vector (the first memory address) which points to the first instruction of the BIOS. The PCH gives access to the BIOS. This means that the computer is in an S0 state, all power rails are ready and the PCH has finished its initialization work. The CPU then begins to run the BIOS and execute the POST.

VR_ON: voltage regulator on, usually labelled like this for the CPU VCore regulator. Note that the CPU needs to talk to the voltage regulator by a serial bus to set the required voltage.
                    RSMRST: Resume reset
                    SRTC_RST: secondary RTC reset
                    INTVRMEN: internal voltage regulator module enable
                    Those 3 signals are inputs to the PCH. They are required to be high for the PCH to work properly and eventually asserts PM_SLP_S4# (after PWRBTN# is triggered).
                    SRTC_RST, RTC_RST and INTVRMEN should be pulled up to the RTC voltage in order for the PCH to always have those signals enabled (even without AC adapter/battery if there is an RTC battery, usually the CR2032 kind).
                    RSMRST comes usually after the power button is pressed on battery, and when the AC adapter is connected otherwise (on desktop motherboard it's always asserted as long as the +5VSB is present). It must go high for the PCH to initialize and start managing power states, and before PWRBTN# is de-asserted for the transition to higher states (S4-S3-S0) to happen. Both signals are usually manager by the EC.

PS: you can search for the Intel PCH datasheets, they are publicly available and give a short desciption for all signals going in and out. There is almost no information on how it works internally (probably confidential stuff) but at least it's somewhat possible to understand how it basically interacts with other components.
                    Last edited by piernov; 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Ok I have done some checking

PLT_RST is 3.3 v when I push the power button drops to zero when I release it.
                      EC_RSMRST is always 3.3 volt
                      VR_RDY gives short pulse of 1 volt when I push the power button directly drops to zero. I'm not shure if the 1 volt is correct. My meter might not be fast enough.
                      ENABLE (pen 1 on PU908, EC_VR_ON or CPU_VR_ON) same story. Short peak.

Hope you can make something of it.

Comment

Not sure what's causing this…
                        What about the voltage on pins 2, 4 and 10 of PU908?

Comment

Today i get same problem after replaced ram its ok i do ec also

Comment

I HAVE mac 13:3 A1502 820-4924 fan not working any idea friends plz

Comment

Oke, pins 2-4 are 0v doesn't matter if I push the power button. Pen 10 is 4 volt als no influence of the power button.

I'm measuring with only the mobo, powerbutton and poweradapter. No memory, hdd, wifi etc etc etc

Comment

Dear Pearnov,

Thanks for the reply. Just been reading and measuring. I get the following:

1. DPWROK_EC pin 35 --> 3.3 volt
                                2. PCH_PWR_EN# pin 97 --> 3.3 volt
                                3. + 3V_PCH couldn't find this one. Q25 has 5 volt on the source and 0 on gate and drain. according to the scheme that is correct because it switches 5VALW to 5VS. So I guess I am missing something here
                                4. PCH_RSMRST# couldn't find this one. Read page 44 again and again, blow it up to 200% but I guess my eyes are getting old ;-)
                                5. PBTN_OUT# pin 86 --> 3.3 volt
                                6. PM_SLP_S3# pin 18 --> 0 volt
                                PM_SLP_S4# pin 21 --> 0 volt
                                PM_SLP_S5# pin 106 --> 3.3 volt
                                PM_SLP_SUS# pin 87 --> 3.3 volt
                                7. SYSON pin 107 --> 3.3 volt
                                8. SUS_VCCP pin 34 --> 3.3 volt
                                9. SUSP# pin 124 --> 0 volt

I have been looking to find the PCH. Maybe I am to much a newbe at this stuff. I understand (google) it is the Platform Controller Hub and it it handels the signals to the hardware like display, sound etc. What ic is this here and on what page did I miss it.

Thanks again for answering and teaching me!

Wilbert
                                PM_SLP_S3# and pm_slp_s4# signal volt should 3.3v ... check rtc_rst# signal and check yc1 crystal 32 khz. if rtc_rst# section ok may be possible your pch faulty

Comment

Today I started all over again. Made a nice excel sheet to write down all the values with power button on or off. Sadely I get again different values as before. Therefor I don't trust my equipment anymore. The probes I use are a bit thick and my eyes a bit old ;-). So I have ordered a few special smd "needle" probes and get new reading glasses. Those pins on the mobo are so dammed small hi hi hi.

When I am ready to start again I'll be back. Thanks for all the help!!

Wilbert

Comment

Today I started all over again. Made a nice excel sheet to write down all the values with power button on or off. Sadely I get again different values as before. Therefor I don't trust my equipment anymore. The probes I use are a bit thick and my eyes a bit old ;-). So I have ordered a few special smd "needle" probes and get new reading glasses. Those pins on the mobo are so dammed small hi hi hi.

When I am ready to start again I'll be back. Thanks for all the help!!

Wilbert

if your eyes are old, order usb microscope. its cheap and helps.
                                    those needles was good option. that thick standard needles are dangerous for this aplication. for sure order more off these needless. they like to break
                                    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 01-13-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                                      if your eyes are old, order usb microscope. its cheap and helps.
                                      those needles was good option. that thick standard needles are dangerous for this aplication. for sure order more off these needless. they like to break
                                      Excelent Idea, never thought of but I am going to build one or buy one!!

Comment

I got the same issue with the same model and i couldn't fix it, So plz if somebody got over it just tell us here, Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed ashour View Post
                                          I got the same issue with the same model and i couldn't fix it, So plz if somebody got over it just tell us here, Thanks in advance
                                          I also have the issue. However, when I replaced Q39,Q40 the mother board worked normally for about 2 minutes then same problem again. So now again couple of seconds and turns off. I still couldn't figure out how does those mosfets related to the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X