Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many IPv6 addresses am I assigned?

Hello,

I requested an extra IPv6 address, but Linode said they cannot assign just one IPv6 address, so they assigned me a range:

FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF::/64

I replaced the real numbers with F's, but that's how they showed me. That'd mean that I'm now assigned every IP address between:
    FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:0000:0000:0000:0000 all the way up to
    FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF

Is that correct or am I misunderstanding this? That can't be right though, can it? From what I can tell, that'd be 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses. That's an insanely large amount of addresses. Can someone please help me figure out how many addresses they actually assigned me?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 07-16-2017, 07:20 PM.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: How many IPv6 addresses am I assigned?

Yes, you got that many addresses.

Comment

Hahaha, I really did laugh out loud!
      Man that is just insane!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

They did it this way because they have so many /64s to work with and they sort of expect you to be using SLAAC, which was meant so that you can autoconfigure your devices without risk of collision (unless you happen to have two machines with the same MAC address.)

I'm not sure why it's funny?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          They did it this way because they have so many /64s to work with and they sort of expect you to be using SLAAC, which was meant so that you can autoconfigure your devices without risk of collision (unless you happen to have two machines with the same MAC address.)

I think maybe they find it funny because I asked for one extra IPv6 address, and instead was given eighteen quintillion, four hundred forty six quadrillion, seven hundred forty four trillion, seventy three billion, seven hundred nine million, five hundred fifty one thousand, six hundred sixteen addresses instead.

Comment

Then I guess why did you need another ipv6 address, normally they give a huge /64 for you to SLAAC in, where you can virtually get as many computers as you want with a static ip?

Comment

https://www.linode.com/docs/networki...pv6-networking

Comment

So SLAAC is Stateless Autoconfiguration. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly this is. From what I've read, instead of the DHCP server handing out the IPv6 address, the client picks their own address based on the prefix being advertised on their connected interface.

From https://supportforums.cisco.com/docu...slaac-and-dhcp
                Code:
                Moreover, it is important to note that SLAAC most commonly uses eui-64 format for address assignment. This means that IPv6 addresses will be built from a combination of the Layer 3 subnet prefix and the MAC address of the client. The requirement for SLAAC is that the LAN segment must use a /64 mask.
                The IPv6 address will be built from a combination of the Layer 3 subnet prefix and the MAC address....Because I only have a range to chose from (albeit a really large range), if the IPv6 address is built from the subnet prefix and the MAC address, wouldn't there be a chance the IPv6 address falls outside of the range I'm assigned?

The IPv6 gateway address would obviously be the IPv6 address of the gateway device, but the IPv6 subnet mask...what the heck do those things look like? I need a bit of a refresher here. The prefix, the /64 in my case, that tells the clients the subnet mask, right?

Thanks!

Comment

If you want to know what unintentional stingy is, I have an ipv4 /29. As I also got IPV6 6RD, they also gave me IPV6 addresses - they gave me the usual SLAAC /~64 space (I forget, might be /56) and then they gave me the stingy /125 "static" IP... whereas the SLAAC space is already virtually "static"...

Plus I don't think they set up the /125 correctly, I can't even get these addresses routed to me at all.

And btw, Ethernet addresses are only 48 bits so you can encode your whole ipv6 address with the 64 bit prefix + 48 bit MAC + 16 bits to spare.
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-21-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Then I guess why did you need another ipv6 address, normally they give a huge /64 for you to SLAAC in, where you can virtually get as many computers as you want with a static ip?
                    I was assigned just one IPv4 address and just one IPv6 address, not a range. I've been using cPanel to make it a bit easier to configure my server. I like how I have one central area to configure almost all the applications I need and it's nice having a GUI for the configuration options for a lot of the various programs (ie, Apache). I guess though people generally don't use cPanel / WHM like this. I guess what they do is buy a license and then rent it out for a monthly charge, kind of like what GoDaddy does with the Shared Hosting and their VPSes.

My friend, who is currently homeless, wants a website setup to try and sell meat. And although I doubt he'll make lots of money selling meat online, he wants to try. At the time, I didn't know about name-based virtualhosts. I only knew about IP based virtual hosts. I requested an extra IPv6 address so when he connected to my server, in the log files, it'd be a bit easier to see what he was doing versus what I was doing. I also thought we needed a separate IP address for his domain name at the time. First I requested the IPv6 address and was assigned that pool. I then requested an IPv4 address and was denied and was pointed towards name-based virtualhosts.

I'm not charging my friend. I'll give him a limited access account (not root), I'll create a cPanel account for him, and I'll setup quotas on the server so he cannot eat up all the disk space. I doubt he would do that, but I don't think he's written a lot of sites and maybe he'll write some bad code and people will take advantage of that bad code. If there's quotas and he has a limited account, perhaps that'll make it harder for them to do something really bad to my server. Perhaps they can just do something really bad to his site and we can easily fix the issue.

Comment

Thank you for the article. I have read a bunch of the Linode articles on the IP addresses, but didn't come across this one. I didn't realize I was going to have to disable the Network Helper and manually configure the various IP addresses.

Now, previously, I added a private IPv4 address, but I had trouble getting it to show up under ifconfig.

I edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and added this:
                      Code:
                      IPADDR1=192.168.194.178
                      PREFIX1="17"
                      Then I did an ifconfig eth0 down and then an ifconfig eth0 up.

The IPv4 address didn't appear. I'm using the Network Helper, so I rebooted the server. The IPv4 address still didn't show up in ifconfig, but I'm able to use it. I can ping it, I can go to various ports, it's definitely assigned to my server, it just don't show up.

I checked the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 after reboot and saw that the Network Helper added the same stuff I had manually added. But it still doesn't show in the ifconfig.

This makes me wonder if I have to manually configure static addresses for the IPv6 stuff, will they show up in ifconfig? I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to have to find the manpage for that ifcfg-eth0 configuration file. I see the Network Helper has this in the config file:
                      Code:
                      DOMAIN=members.linode.com
                      That's definitely not my domain, but maybe it's not supposed to be? I gotta see what the DOMAIN directive means.

Comment

If you want to know what unintentional stingy is, I have an ipv4 /29. As I also got IPV6 6RD, they also gave me IPV6 addresses - they gave me the usual SLAAC /~64 space (I forget, might be /56) and then they gave me the stingy /125 "static" IP... whereas the SLAAC space is already virtually "static"...

Plus I don't think they set up the /125 correctly, I can't even get these addresses routed to me at all.

And btw, Ethernet addresses are only 48 bits so you can encode your whole ipv6 address with the 64 bit prefix + 48 bit MAC + 16 bits to spare.
                        Douh! I didn't even think about ethernet addresses being 48 bits!

For the DOMAIN= in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file, I found this documentation:
                        /usr/share/doc/initscripts-9.49.37/sysconfig.txt

I guess I shouldn't be using ifconfig anymore and instead be using stuff like ipup and ipdown, etc.

The only thing I could find for DOMAIN= was for IPPP-specific items (ISDN). I don't think I have an ISDN connection though. Unfortunately, they don't actually tell you what the directive is or anything in that file.

Comment

Okay, I've uninstalled the net-tools package for CentOS 7 (the one that includes ifconfig and netstat).

I'm now trying to adjust to using the ss and ip commands. I write little how-to's that I save in the /root/how-to's directory to help remind me how to do various things.

I've configured the two IPv6 addresses and the IPv4 address I'm assigned, plus the private IPv4 address, and they all show up with ip addr show eth0.

I can ping the new IPv6 address, plus the old one. I've made sure I can access the outside world from the server, and I made sure to turn off the Network Helper Linode script and then rebooted the VPS, just to make sure everything worked proper. Before I rebooted, I did the systemctl restart network or whatever it was and saw the new IPv6 address. I don't think I needed to reboot, but I did it anyway.

I then added the IPv6 range to WHM. Now, if I understand everything, when I create a new cPanel user, it'll automatically switch Apache over from using ip based virtual hosts to name based virtual hosts. I don't think I can assign both IPv6 addresses to one user's account though in WHM. I went to the IPv6 section and could only pick one. Maybe it's possible though and I just don't see the option yet.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X