No announcement yet.

HannsG HW173D dead. Recap = new fault.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HannsG HW173D dead. Recap = new fault.

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
    Now thats the one,combined PWM and FET....
    Ahh, that makes sense now.

Looking at page 14 and figure 24, I'm going to assume pin 1 is getting 160V DC.

Pin 2 is GND.

Pin 3 is vcc. C123 has already been replaced, but there is still fluctuating voltage across that cap.

Pin 4 is feedback via optoisolator.

So, on pin 3, the voltage is coming from the tertiary winding. It goes through R104 and D102 in figure 24. Here are the possibilites (if my schematic reading skills have improved - and using the schematic reference designations).

a) R104 is bad. I believe R104 corresponds to the resistor just right of the big Capxon cap. Unsolder one leg of R104 and measure the ohms and compare it to the band color.

b) D102 is bad. I believe D102 corresponds to D110 on the power board. You can test this "in circuit" to see if it is shorted. Put your multimeter on diode test. Put black on one side and red on the other. Record reading. Now reverse probes and record 2nd reading.

A good diode should measure between 0.4 and 0.7V one way and 0L or "1" the other way.

It might also be worth testing the diode (D12?) just above the C123 cap in case I picked the wrong diode on the power board.

c) If R104 and D102 (D12?) are okay, then the chip itself is bad.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Ahh, that makes sense now.

Looking at page 14 and figure 24, I'm going to assume pin 1 is getting 160V DC.

Pin 2 is GND.

Pin 3 is vcc. C123 has already been replaced, but there is still fluctuating voltage across that cap.

Pin 4 is feedback via optoisolator.

So, on pin 3, the voltage is coming from the tertiary winding. It goes through R104 and D102 in figure 24. Here are the possibilites (if my schematic reading skills have improved - and using the schematic reference designations).

a) R104 is bad. I believe R104 corresponds to the resistor just right of the big Capxon cap. Unsolder one leg of R104 and measure the ohms and compare it to the band color.

b) D102 is bad. I believe D102 corresponds to D110 on the power board. You can test this "in circuit" to see if it is shorted. Put your multimeter on diode test. Put black on one side and red on the other. Record reading. Now reverse probes and record 2nd reading.

A good diode should measure between 0.4 and 0.7V one way and 0L or "1" the other way.

It might also be worth testing the diode (D12?) just above the C123 cap in case I picked the wrong diode on the power board.

c) If R104 and D102 (D12?) are okay, then the chip itself is bad.
      A) I cannot find a R104. I have a R101(near big cap), 102, 113, & 114.

B) Have not tested yet but D110 looks bad.
      I have a D120 but not a D12
      Going to start testing now.

Comment

The test is over for the FSC part. Shorted out the part when testing pin1 & 2! Before that pin 2 & 3 was fluctuating between 8 and 11.

Before that happened D110 was reading .483 and OL. Part D120 was reading .480 & OL.

Where do I go from here?

Comment

Originally posted by slvfox2008 View Post
          The test is over for the FSC part. Shorted out the part when testing pin1 & 2! Before that pin 2 & 3 was fluctuating between 8 and 11.

Before that happened D110 was reading .483 and OL. Part D120 was reading .480 & OL.

Where do I go from here?
          Question, when testing D110 and D120, should I have power to the board?

If so D110 is reading .485 & OL. D120 is .002 & .002

Comment

No, never test diodes with a board powered up.

Comment

A) I cannot find a R104. I have a R101(near big cap), 102, 113, & 114.
              R104 is in the schematic. I was trying to find the corresponding resistor on your board. Often the schematic pcb designations are just samples and manufacturers can follow their own standards.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If so D110 is reading .485 & OL. D120 is .002 & .002
                Never test diodes with power on. Remove D120 from the board and retest out of circuit.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Shorted out the part when testing pin1 & 2!
                  If you shorted it out, you will have to replace it obviously.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    If you shorted it out, you will have to replace it obviously.
                    Can you tell me where I can purchase one. Is there a chance that I have done other damage to the board. Is there a chance that this part was causing the other parts to fluctuate.

Comment

Can you tell me where I can purchase one. Is there a chance that I have done other damage to the board. Is there a chance that this part was causing the other parts to fluctuate.
                      1) Phone the suppliers using findchips to see when stock will be available. If not available, ask them what is an equivalent part.

http://www.findchips.com/avail?part=FSCM0465RG

2) You might have caused some other damage. Thus you might want to order 2 of the above PWM.

3) Yes, this part could have been bad and caused the fluctuating voltage. Now we will never know for sure.

4) Test the diode out of circuit. If it is bad, you can order a replacement at the same time.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would like to thank all of you for your inputs and patience working with me. There are several other people experiencing the same problem and it would have been nice to have fixed this so they too could repair theirs. I am in the process of trying to locate a new semiconductor, but not having too much luck. Not many company's just want to sell you one without charging a ridiculous price.

Comment

slvfox2008....where are you in th World ,as then perhaps members may be able to point you to a 'reasonable' supplier ??

Comment

Originally posted by rtech View Post
                            slvfox2008....where are you in th world ,as then perhaps members may be able to point you to a 'reasonable' supplier ??
                            usa

Comment

Has been a long time now, but my monitor had the same defect, and the problem was simply the pins in the cable that were not enough contact pressure with your fingers to see the screen .. try ...try...

Comment

i have the same board...
                                can anyone post values of
                                c307
                                r302
                                d303
                                thanks for any help

Comment

hello there! is this thread still active? i have the same lcd with bloated capacitor (C850), i replaced the bad caps but it keeps on blowing up...

the inverter board looks like this:
                                  http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/ca...M/IMG_4595.JPG

what else could be the problem? how can i test the circuit using fluke 8060a to know what causing the C850 to blow up? thanks in advance masters!

Comment

Originally posted by jfriends24 View Post
                                    hello there! is this thread still active? i have the same lcd with bloated capacitor (C850), i replaced the bad caps but it keeps on blowing up...

the inverter board looks like this:
                                    http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/ca...M/IMG_4595.JPG

what else could be the problem? how can i test the circuit using fluke 8060a to know what causing the C850 to blow up? thanks in advance masters!
                                    The most common cause for an electrolytic cap to explode after repair is if it was installed backwards. Those caps have polarity and need to be installed in the right direction. The printed circuit board usually has a circle on top for these caps. And one half is shaded, or has stripes, or similar. This is the negative side of the capacitor. (The side with the stripe on the cap goes on the shaded area of the circle)

Comment

Working...
                                    X