Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

Thanks Guys...I had the same issue with one bulged Samxon 1000 UF, 10v CAP, the one by itself next to the heat sink, just bulged slightly on the top, and I will be fixing mine over the holidays. I was able to call Samsung customer Service at 1-800-Samsung today and get a $50 gift card for my trouble but no warranty replacements were available. My unit was out of warranty and Samsung claims they have had no calls or known capacitor issues with this unit. Hard to believe after reading this thread unless no one else is calling them about it. I tried to point the rep. to this thread but Samsung blocks most of the Customer Service internet access. Thanks again for the great forum!

Comment

Just called 1-800-SAMSUNG myself. The audio quality on the call was horrendous, especially on the hold music. I played dumb describing the symptoms and asked if there was any 'reset' procedure or 'troubleshooting' instructions. The lady asked me to unplug it for 30 seconds and try again. I stated that I had already done that and the unit wouldn't work no matter how it was plugged in. She put me on hold to check on what kind of servicing options were available. When she came back on the line she transferred me to another department. When they came on he put me on hold again to 'pull up some resources'. He couldn't find anything and suggested that I call my cable provider. I tried to explain that it was a DTV or Antenna TV box and that I was the end user with no cable company involved. He said that I could send it in for service or given the cost, I should just go to rat shack or wally world and get a new antenna. WTF??

Finally I pressed and asked the question if I could get a $50 gift card as at least one other individual had indicated that they received in an online forum posting. After another long hold of crappily vo-coded hold music, he came up blank again thinking that I needed to call my cable company or satellite provider. Then saw that "a limited number of models were customer owned, provide all possible assistance or prorated refund" SIC. He then transferred me to RMA or some other such department. I repeated the model number, serial number, problem description, when I bought it, etc. She said it was out of warranty. I said I wanted a pro-rated refund or $50 giftcard. She put me on hold again and then came back and asked if I had a receipt. I said i purchased it online at circuitshitty.com and had the email from the purchase. She wanted to know the exact date of purchase, the type of payment and the amount. I gave her this and she put me on hold again to see what she could do. She came back and said that I needed to provide the purchase receipt. And that the email would suffice.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

61 minutes and 9 seconds on that call!!

So I have to send her my sales receipt email and then wait for a verdict. I think everyone else was lying when they said getting the $50 gift card was easy.

Comment

Thanks again Guys!! I had the same issue with one bulged Samxon 1000 UF, 10v CAP, the one by itself next to the heat sink, just bulged slightly on the top. I picked up a second "DOA" unit with the exact same symptoms to use for parts, hoping to at least get one working unit when done. I bought a full set of replacement caps from Digi-Key. The Panasonic brand replacement caps for the one listed above were $0.64 each and shipping(USPS FCM was fast) was $2.56 for the entire order. I started with replacing just the one bulged cap on the first unit. It worked just fine. I then swapped the working PS board onto the second unit. It worked fine as well. The second unit's PS board had the same brand/type caps and the same single bulged cap listed above. I replaced the cap on the second PS board and installed it into the first unit and it worked fine also! I now have two working units, each fixed for a $0.64 capacitor. I also got my $50 gift card from Samsung customer service. Thanks again for the great forum!

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
          Just called 1-800-SAMSUNG myself. The audio quality on the call was horrendous, especially on the hold music. I played dumb describing the symptoms and asked if there was any 'reset' procedure or 'troubleshooting' instructions. The lady asked me to unplug it for 30 seconds and try again. I stated that I had already done that and the unit wouldn't work no matter how it was plugged in. She put me on hold to check on what kind of servicing options were available. When she came back on the line she transferred me to another department. When they came on he put me on hold again to 'pull up some resources'. He couldn't find anything and suggested that I call my cable provider. I tried to explain that it was a DTV or Antenna TV box and that I was the end user with no cable company involved. He said that I could send it in for service or given the cost, I should just go to rat shack or wally world and get a new antenna. WTF??

Finally I pressed and asked the question if I could get a $50 gift card as at least one other individual had indicated that they received in an online forum posting. After another long hold of crappily vo-coded hold music, he came up blank again thinking that I needed to call my cable company or satellite provider. Then saw that "a limited number of models were customer owned, provide all possible assistance or prorated refund" SIC. He then transferred me to RMA or some other such department. I repeated the model number, serial number, problem description, when I bought it, etc. She said it was out of warranty. I said I wanted a pro-rated refund or $50 giftcard. She put me on hold again and then came back and asked if I had a receipt. I said i purchased it online at circuitshitty.com and had the email from the purchase. She wanted to know the exact date of purchase, the type of payment and the amount. I gave her this and she put me on hold again to see what she could do. She came back and said that I needed to provide the purchase receipt. And that the email would suffice.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

61 minutes and 9 seconds on that call!!

So I have to send her my sales receipt email and then wait for a verdict. I think everyone else was lying when they said getting the $50 gift card was easy.

Sorry to hear you had all the problems Bluto! My call took about 20 minutes only because no one knew who handled the discontinued product. The final rep. made it clear that this was a "courtesy" offer and was for "customer satisfaction". If the $50 GC I got works for you, I was offered either Best Buy or ?Target? I think, and I asked if Home Depot was an option and the rep offered Lowes and I said fine. If no luck with the rep., ask for a supervisor/manager. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Comment

A Lowe's card would be sweet! Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work out for me. Although I did get the initial email from the individual that I talked to, my response containing the email receipt and a picture of the bottom of the unit (showing the serial #) laying on top of the original box (complete with shipping label showing my name and address) appears to have gone directly to bit bucket. It would have been nice as it seems others have gotten a token gift card for their troubles, but I can't see wasting more time trying to get it.

And one must think that if Samsung gave out $50 for every product that they have sold with bad capacitors, they would be bankrupt within seconds.

Comment

Another big thanks to the guys on this forum who documented the H260F problem. I replaced all the electrolytics, and am back up and running.

I did notice something that nobody else has mentioned. I have only had the H260 for about 6 months, so I can't comment on how it worked when it was new. The issue was that my remote would not work very reliably with the H260. Station macro's on a Harmony remote would many times miss a number. My theory is that the power supply was getting noisy, and impacting the operation of the IR sensor. After replacing the caps, the remote sensor works MUCH better. I would be interested to know if anybody else has noticed this.

Thanks again,

Joe

Comment

Hi guys, I replaced all capacitors mentioned here, however, the problem with my unit has not resolved. The unit turns itself on automatically. Also, I figured that the problem is with the big green board and not the brown one where I replaced capacitors. There is no visible anomaly on the green board. Does anyone know how to fix it please!

Comment

So your box turns on automatically and then....? Describe what it does: Any output on the screen, power LED status, etc. Also you should post clear pictures of the inside of the unit so that our members might be able to help diagnose your issue.

Comment

Oops! I thought I had replied with a detailed message days ago! Looks like it never made it on the board. Anyway, I will post pics later but here are the details again: the unit turns on automatically when plugged in and functions just fine but cannot be turned off. It goes off momentarily when pushing the off button on the unit or the remote but comes back right on. No strange LED behavior just blinks when off button is pressed and then turns on with the unit.

Here is what I discovered - the problem is not with the small brown board where I replaced all capacitors as per directions on this board already, problem is with the big green board. But I don't know what/where is wrong. I know this by swapping the brown board from the defective unit to a perfect unit - works just fine and the other switcharoo displays the same problem of not turning off (good brown board from perfect unit hooked up to the green board in the defective unit).

Anyone ever faced this issue? I just hate to manually turn off the power after use. I know on eby there are sellers who list their units with this problem and try to cover up with wordings like "these unit are taken from a big corporation and are programmed to turn on automatically when power comes back"!!!

Comment

I need help, I was removing the 2 1000uf 10v capacitors at the top of the PCB or so I thought. Only one was the 1000uf and now I don't know which one goes where. Can anyone supply a layout schematic for the capacitors? Thanks

Comment

Take a picture of showing which ones are missing. I will pull mine out of the box and provide the values that you need.

Comment

+1.

I had two of these and one died a year ago, when it was one week past warranty! I was so pissed I tossed it and replaced it with a PHD-205LE, which has been great.

The other Samsung died last week and I wasn't ready to spend another $150 bucks -- besides, the PHD is out of stock at the manufacturer. So I opened it up and found the bulging cap. Googled DTB-H260F bad cap and landed here. Replaced the two 1000 uF 10V and we're up and running.

I'm so annoyed I tossed the first one.

Comment

Hey everyone.

My box just randomly died on me last week after 5 flawless years. Now when I power it up the blue light comes on for about 8 seconds and then the whole thing just shuts off. I searched about the problem and that brought me here. I was encouraged when I saw that this was strangely common and that people had success reviving dead units. So I opened mine up to have a look and nothing looks bulged or out of place. I decided to replace the 2 1000 uf 10v and 2 470uf 10v. Ordered the caps from digikey and got them really quick. After I replaced the caps I realized I have a new problem now, the unit won't even power up at all. I'm kinda new to this kind of thing some I'm not sure what happened here. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by biobuhdda View Post
                              Hey everyone.

My box just randomly died on me last week after 5 flawless years. Now when I power it up the blue light comes on for about 8 seconds and then the whole thing just shuts off. I searched about the problem and that brought me here. I was encouraged when I saw that this was strangely common and that people had success reviving dead units. So I opened mine up to have a look and nothing looks bulged or out of place. I decided to replace the 2 1000 uf 10v and 2 470uf 10v. Ordered the caps from digikey and got them really quick. After I replaced the caps I realized I have a new problem now, the unit won't even power up at all. I'm kinda new to this kind of thing some I'm not sure what happened here. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                              Bad solder joint when you soldered in the new caps? Did you verify the polarity ("+" and "-") of each cap when you soldered them in?

Comment

SUCCESS!!!! This was my first time soldering anything so I went back and resoldered the joints and now it works again! I'm amazed at how easy this actually was. Chalk up another win for this thread. Thanks!

Comment

Just want to thank Bluto and everyone involved with this thread @ Badcaps.
                                  My CircuitCity STB is about 4-5 years old and just failed. I spent 2 hours looking for a new/refurb Samsung DTB H260F, NO LUCK!
                                  I googled Samsung DTB H260F & read the preview that 1000mf caps fail.
                                  Opened it up after only read the preview that one of the 1KmF caps. goes bad.
                                  I am proud to say I noticed the typical bulged-top cap. next to the regulator heat sink. Desoldered it and only have a CHEAP $10 radio shack meter. I pulled both 1kmf caps and watch them charge up on the meter to infinity, no short hmmm. I put them back and I got the blue LED to power up about 1/2 sec. This is an improvement. So I pulled the power supply board out, and plugged it back in and confirmed the silkscreen +3V, +6V, +14V voltages were all there still & were all at or above spec. hmmmm. There is hope here.
                                  So then i went back and actually loaded the forum and read up as I should have before I replaced the old caps in the P.S. I am so happy to see mine is typical.
                                  I am very hopeful that this can be repaired!
                                  THANK YOU ALL!! :

Comment

Just want to thank Bluto and everyone involved with this thread @ Badcaps.
                                    My CircuitCity STB is about 4-5 years old and just failed. I spent 2 hours looking for a new/refurb Samsung DTB H260F, NO LUCK!
                                    I googled Samsung DTB H260F & read the preview that 1000mf caps fail.
                                    Opened it up after only read the preview that one of the 1KmF caps. goes bad.
                                    I am proud to say I noticed the typical bulged-top cap. next to the regulator heat sink. Desoldered it and only have a CHEAP $10 radio shack meter. I pulled both 1kmf caps and watch them charge up on the meter to infinity, no short hmmm. I put them back and I got the blue LED to power up about 1/2 sec. This is an improvement. So I pulled the power supply board out, and plugged it back in and confirmed the silkscreen +3V, +6V, +14V voltages were all there still & were all at or above spec. hmmmm. There is hope here.
                                    So then i went back and actually loaded the forum and read up as I should have before I replaced the old caps in the P.S. I am so happy to see mine is typical.
                                    I am very hopeful that this can be repaired!
                                    THANK YOU ALL!! :

Comment

SUCCESS! Bluto parts list arrived from DigiKey, came home and though I had too much coffee today, it took about 1/2 hour to swap out the old caps and reinstall the new Panasonic caps.
                                      No photos, you have seen it here before.
                                      I will add this; I installed the obviously swollen 1000mf cap that is too close to the regulator w/ aluminum heatsink leaning away from the heatsink some to help w/ cooling. i call it the leaning tower of Pizza. Ol' Dtb H260f works great! $8.44 (bought some extras) + postage.
                                      THANKS AGAIN!
                                      Last edited by elsnod; 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Oops 9 days and the old Samsung has been working OK.
                                        Then tonight it ran for about an hour and it shut off. I grabbed the remote and restarted it. It ran for about 5 minutes and quit again. I unplugged it from the power strip and plugged it back into the UPS and restarted it again from the p.b. on front. Same thing ran a few minutes and quit. hmmm??
                                        Sure enought the last cap, the little one, had a cold solder joint, need stronger reading glasses!
                                        We're back up.
                                        Last edited by elsnod; 10-31-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

What caps did you replace? My guide says to do all of them, but I wrote that when I was a little naive. You really only need to do the two 1000uf samxons. Post some pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                          X