Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

This is my first post, so thanks in advance to all of you that might share your expertise and information.

I have a Gateway FPD2485W that I've used for about 3-4 years at this point. It's generally been fine, but it's starting to act a little weird...

These symptoms seem to be true for both the DVI and VGA inputs. They also hold true across multiple computers - so I'm pretty certain it's not related to the computers or graphics cards.

When I turn it on, and it has a signal, it will take quite a while (30-40 seconds) to go through it's warm-up process and then display the screen. This is much longer than it used to take. New, it probably took <5 seconds to go through the same process. Once it's displaying, it will do so for as long as I use the computer.

However, if the computer "turns off" the monitors (I guess it stops sending a signal?), they go to sleep, but the Gateway won't "wake up." I say "they" because I have two monitors attached to the computer. The other monitor (a new HP at the same resolution) comes back to life as expected. If I then unplug the Gateway's power cord (using the on/off 'switch' won't work) and plug it back in, it will come back to life (taking the usual 30-40 seconds) and then continue to work.

Some other things to note:
    - this monitor does not have a physical on/off switch, it's a touch sensitive device on the front that controls on/off and menus. So, it's not surprising to me that the on/off 'switch' doesn't work, but unplugging/re-plugging the power cord makes something different happen that gets it working again. I'm just not sure what.
    - as I mention above, the touch device on the front controls the menu system for the monitor controls. Well, as the start-up time of the monitor has increased, the menu system has started acting more slowly too. When I choose an option, it can take 20-30 seconds for the menu to change. I wouldn't think the menu system is controlled by any of the inputs.

These symptoms lead me to believe that something is wrong with the processor board, but I'm very new to this. I've messed with electronics in the past, done some soldering, etc., but I don't have any experience diagnosing monitor issues. Just what I've read online.

My questions:

1) As some other people have noted about the Gateway FPD248W, it uses Su'scon capacitors, which I've read are known to have problems. Does this sound like a capacitor related problem?

2) I'm going to try to attach pictures to this post (remember, I'm new here so I'm not sure I'll be successful). I don't see anything that makes me think any of the capacitors are bad (I've read about the symptoms - leaking, bulging, etc.). Does anyone see something I don't? I've put some numbers next to capacitors in the pictures and drawn some circles and squares to try to give people a way to tell me what to look at. If you think my labels are messed up, please let me know - they're guesses on my part.

3) If it does seem like a capacitor problem, do you think my guess about the processor board is correct? Should I start with those capacitors? Or is it possible the problem could be on the power board?

Thanks in advance. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    -tom
    Attached Files

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

I'd start with the power supply board.

Comment

seanc,
      thanks for your advice. I'm assuming you mean start with replacing the capacitors on the power supply board. Is that right? Is there any particular reason? Is it just the easiest thing to do to rule out a problem there, especially knowing that Su'scom capacitors typically cause problems? Or is there something else in the symptoms that's making you say that?

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by badcaps@tomsbikesite.com
        seanc,
        thanks for your advice. I'm assuming you mean start with replacing the capacitors on the power supply board. Is that right? Is there any particular reason? Is it just the easiest thing to do to rule out a problem there, especially knowing that Su'scom capacitors typically cause problems? Or is there something else in the symptoms that's making you say that?

Thanks for your input.
        Your description is a textbook example of the problems associated with bad capacitors. Replace all of the electrolytic caps in the power supply.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

For anyone interested...

I ended up replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board.

It didn't change anything.

I think, as I said in my first post, that this might have something to do with the processor, or processing board. The main symptom I'm thinking about is the fact that the menu system is slow and getting slower.

Oh well.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Comment

Well it wouldn't hurt to try the caps on the processor board, if that's where you think the issue is. You've nothing to lose except a few $ and time.

Comment

OK, PlainBill and I were discussing a similar problem with a Gateway monitor on another post recently (Gateway fpd1975w). I came across your thread while searching for an answer. On the second photo (processor board), there is a component that has me concerned. On the photo, it is at the bottom right hand side of the blue oval. It is marked HT RBS31. I tried searching for a data sheet on this object and couldnt find one. My gateway processor board is different than this one however it has this same part. I noticed that this part, for some reason, has something moving around inside of it. My logic suggests that this cannot be a good thing. Anyone else ever see or test this component before? It almost looks like a photo trasistor or some type of isolation component.
              The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Coincidently, I have the same 24" monitor (FPD2485W) that just stopped working last night. Slightly different symptoms though, my monitor won't even power up. No purple/blue power light, and no picture frame light-up at all. Everything seems dead. I've had the monitor for 2+ years now, and the assembly date on the back reads 2007.

Unplugging and replugging power cord = no power. Changed power cord = no power. Left unplugged overnight, still no power this morning.

Came here for help as I noticed others have had luck repairing the 21" version. Those posts found bad caps the cause, and replacement as the predominant solution.

Q: badcaps@tomsbikesite, how difficult was it to remove the case to get to the inner boards?

Q: What are you guys using to test the caps and other board parts?

Q: Since my symptoms are no power up, do ya think it's the powerboard?

I've worked on PC builds from the motherboard to all attached parts, but never on a monitor. Would like to open this Gateway up and see what's failed.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                  Coincidently, I have the same 24" monitor (FPD2485W) that just stopped working last night. Slightly different symptoms though, my monitor won't even power up. No purple/blue power light, and no picture frame light-up at all. Everything seems dead. I've had the monitor for 2+ years now, and the assembly date on the back reads 2007.

Unplugging and replugging power cord = no power. Changed power cord = no power. Left unplugged overnight, still no power this morning.

Came here for help as I noticed others have had luck repairing the 21" version. Those posts found bad caps the cause, and replacement as the predominant solution.

Q: badcaps@tomsbikesite, how difficult was it to remove the case to get to the inner boards?

Q: What are you guys using to test the caps and other board parts?

Q: Since my symptoms are no power up, do ya think it's the powerboard?

I've worked on PC builds from the motherboard to all attached parts, but never on a monitor. Would like to open this Gateway up and see what's failed.

Any thoughts?
                  I have an ESR meter that us used to test caps. This cost about $80, so it's not practical for someone who is only working on a single monitor. A good rule of thumb is that if any caps are bulging, replace them all.

If the symptoms are 'no power, it's most likely the power supply, but it's not a certainly. If the caps all look good a few simple tests will determine if the power supply is working.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                    I have an ESR meter that us used to test caps. This cost about $80, so it's not practical for someone who is only working on a single monitor. A good rule of thumb is that if any caps are bulging, replace them all.

If the symptoms are 'no power, it's most likely the power supply, but it's not a certainly. If the caps all look good a few simple tests will determine if the power supply is working.

PlainBill
                    Roger that, will take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

RacerX,
                      It's kind of a pain to take apart the case. If you search, you'll find some basic directions online, but I never found any pictures.

Basically, you remove three pretty obvious screws on the bottom, then the four screws that hold in the metal plate where the screen mounts to the stand. After that it's nothing but prying and (at least for me), breaking some small plastic parts on the sides. I used two screw drivers on the bottom - put one in and then work along with the other. I had to pry much harder than I thought I would (both the bottom and the sides). I didn't find a way to finesse it, although I tried several different tools (let me know if you find something that seems to work well.)

Once you've done the bottom, start on the side WITHOUT the power button - that side has a little ribbon cable that goes to the power / menu buttons. It's much less likely you'll damage that cable once you've practiced with the other side and seen how it comes apart. The cable goes along right where you might damage it with a screwdriver while trying to pry apart the sides.

Once the plastic is off, it's easy to get to the boards. Send me a personal message if you have any questions.

DgTech,
                      I'll look into that part tomorrow and post what I see on my board.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I managed to get the back cover off, with the help of an extra pair of hands, and got to the inner boards OK. Just by the naked eye, I saw one cap that was definitely bulged: 35v/470uf [SG] purple and grey cap. Don't see any bulging on the other caps, but like someone previously mentioned, might as well replace them while you got it open. I took some pics and will post them tomorrow afternoon...

Now I noticed on the back panel that the model no. is LP2407, and below that FPD2485W. Which dawned on me that another thread posted by fadec "Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407" may have relavent data. Sure enough, after looking at fadec's pics and Capacitor data, the LP2407 he posted has the same power-board as my 24" FPD2485W - which must be a dressed up LP2407. Real Genius aren't I . If you look at his first pic of the power-board, the cap labeled C864 is the same one I mentioned bulged on mine.

That thread by fadec, who was helped by PlainBill and others here, makes itemizing and getting replacement caps much easier.

Just checked online that a Fry's near me sells caps (see Electronic Components>Integrated Circuits>Capacitors). Besides Aluminum, which subcategory suits the capacitors I need? Lead, Ceramic, Non-Polar, through hole, surface mount...??? They carry NTE brand caps, any good?

Thanks again, RacerX

Comment

I also found a MarVac electronic parts store which is about 5 minutes from me...

Here's a cap for the bulged 35v/470uf: 470uF, 35V Radial Capacitor. I see the temp is rated 85C, which is lower than my OEM 105C, but otherwise would that cap work? For 50 cents I thought I'd pick one up just to see if it would make a difference to the power-board. Then I could order the better caps from Digikey for the long term fix.

1:25am - time for some sleep.
                          Last edited by RacerX; 04-10-2010, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech
                            OK, PlainBill and I were discussing a similar problem with a Gateway monitor on another post recently (Gateway fpd1975w). I came across your thread while searching for an answer. On the second photo (processor board), there is a component that has me concerned. On the photo, it is at the bottom right hand side of the blue oval. It is marked HT RBS31. I tried searching for a data sheet on this object and couldnt find one. My gateway processor board is different than this one however it has this same part. I noticed that this part, for some reason, has something moving around inside of it. My logic suggests that this cannot be a good thing. Anyone else ever see or test this component before? It almost looks like a photo trasistor or some type of isolation component.
                            OK, I had a chance to take my processor board out. It seems that my part has the same 'feature' - making noise like something is rolling around.

I'm attaching a close-up pic of the part so people can more clearly see it.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not even sure what a "data sheet" for a component is.

I think I will try replacing the caps on the processor board; mostly out of curiosity, and to try to save landfill space. I'll post again when I've got more to say on this.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by badcaps@tomsbikesite.com
                              OK, I had a chance to take my processor board out. It seems that my part has the same 'feature' - making noise like something is rolling around.

I'm attaching a close-up pic of the part so people can more clearly see it.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not even sure what a "data sheet" for a component is.

I think I will try replacing the caps on the processor board; mostly out of curiosity, and to try to save landfill space. I'll post again when I've got more to say on this.
                              If you Google 'RBS31' you will find out what you have and why it makes that noise.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the student to figure out why it is present on this monitor.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                If you Google 'RBS31' you will find out what you have and why it makes that noise.

PlainBill
                                Why, it's a roll ball tilt sensor switch with a photo transistor. Rotate the monitor, and the display itself follows suit.

The noise is from a metal (stainless steel) ball rolling around inside the housing.

datasheet attached.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by MDOC; 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Er, rather the image display itself remains "right side up" as you rotate the monitor.
                                  Last edited by MDOC; 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Haha, from what I'd briefly read, I thought it just turned the monitor off if it fell over, yours is a much better reason :P
                                    Last edited by seanc; 04-13-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Well, it looks like it will go to the landfill. All the caps replaced, never helped.

Not worth anything else.

Just in case someone else gets the same symptoms.

Comment

Did you try or test the fuse next to the AC adaper plug? As you can see on the board and even in your first pic, the powerboard has printed next to the fuse F850 "T5a 250v". It looks like a light brown color. I also replaced the caps and stiil no power. Took it to a local store and the fuse tested dead.

Had someone else pick up a new fuse, but I noticed it was the wrong voltage 5A @125v instead of 250v. Tried it anyway and when I plugged in the powercord the fuse blew and smoked instantly. After some research I found out the "T" 5A stands for time release fuses - also called slow-blow fuses. The 5A @125V is a Fast fuse (receipt actually says "Very Fast") which explains why it blew so fast .

Local store closed, so I have to wait until Monday to see if they carry the T5A 250V fuse as it is not listed on their website. Having trouble finding an online retailer that carries this fuse. Most places have the cylander glass-tube fuse rather than the radial fuse used on this powerboard.

Anyone know a place to by this T5a 250V radial type fuse?

Comment

Working...
                                        X