Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are these no-name x79 motherboards coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are these no-name x79 motherboards coming from?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1

China, of course.

No-name motherboards, with ecc and some support without the expense of impi? Avoid? Or like use a cheap with an e3 xeon? My current server has dual 110w netburst xeons, maybe, get a single 95w instead?

Also, it says it supports e5 series, now some of the ones listed as "dual cpu" (2600 series) are priced fairly well. The 1600 are priced pretty high.

I would like a simple lower power server with ecc support. So, no atom or those itx boards
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Where are these no-name x79 motherboards coming from?

china makes a lot of motherboards for industry, they power everything from videogames & gambling stuff, to robots.

i'v not seen them export them before though.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      i'v not seen them export them before though.
      It's a fairly new thing for PC components like motherboards and video cards.

For example, "retro gaming" has pushed the prices of AGP video cards quite a bit in recent years - especially the high-end cards from nVidia and ATI. Because many of these are also no longer made by nVidia and ATI, used cards and NOS has been the only options up until a few years ago. Now China exports all sorts of unbranded AGP video cards with actual genuine ATI and nVidia chips (probably recycled, but who cares). And you can tell the cards are unbranded, because they use different PCB design... and also typically shit Sacon FZ capacitors.

Anyways, the point is, there's money to be made in some of these markets and the Chinese have figured it out for some of them.
      Last edited by momaka; 12-12-2018, 01:15 AM.

Comment

thats good, maybe the 8800GT will be cheap to get at last.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Now China exports all sorts of unbranded AGP video cards with actual genuine ATI and nVidia chips (probably recycled, but who cares). And you can tell the cards are unbranded, because they use different PCB design... and also typically shit Sacon FZ capacitors.
          Reminds me of DealExtreme, IIRC, LOL.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

thats good, maybe the 8800GT will be cheap to get at last.
            The 8800GT cards are cheap (here in the USA anyways). Though I personally don't like them at all and don't recommend them to anyone either - heatsinks on most are crap and the cards run absurdly hot. With that said, don't expect the Chinese to do a better job with the cooling if they made a 8800GT card. If anything, you'd probably have to rip out its stock HS and fan and replace with something else... at which point, the deal really wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

8800GT is used in a lot of sega equipment - and cant be substituted.
              infact it even needs a special bios - but that's not an issue

Comment

infact it even needs a special bios - but that's not an issue
                Looks just like what I expect with Apple...
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the 8800gt and 9800gt both use the same gpu chip: the slightly faulty g92 core with 112 out of 128 working cores. there is also an oem only version of that called the gts 240 (NOT gt 240!) so any three of those cards should work since the underlying hardware is the same.

i even noticed the full 128 core g92 cards like the 8800 gts 512, 9800 gtx(+) and gts 250 actually sell cheaper than the 8800/9800 gt cards! they come with better coolers too! so u could get those full g92 cards instead and load the 8800/9800 gt bios on them! much cooler with the better heatsink too!

Comment

the bios sets the core voltage and ram speeds- you cant pull that shit.
                    and afaik 9800 is a smaller die, so probably lower voltage than 8800

Comment

no they used 65nm g92a and 55nm g92b cores on the 9800 gt and 9800 gtx cards interchangeably so they both have to be electrically compatible. i have also examined the bios from these cards with nibitor and they both run the core voltage at around 1.1-1.15v depending on what the manufacturer sets. a difference of 0.05v isnt going to make a difference.

from a mass production manufacturing standpoint, it doesnt make sense to have two different bios versions each for the 9800 gt and 9800 gtx cards that are going to have either a g92a core on it or the g92b. that just unnecessarily complicates the manufacturing process when u already need different video bioses with different ram timings depending on the brand of video ram that is going on the card. samsung, hynix, qimonda etc.

that way, less things to worry about during manufacturing. lower likelihood of human error and lower chances of things going wrong or mistakes at the factory before the product is even shipped out!

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1

China, of course.

No-name motherboards, with ecc and some support without the expense of impi? Avoid? Or like use a cheap with an e3 xeon? My current server has dual 110w netburst xeons, maybe, get a single 95w instead?
                        Well, they are rather simple and scrap some features of the LGA2011 plattform...

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        I would like a simple lower power server with ecc support. So, no atom or those itx boards
                        Then you're totally wrong on LGA2011.

For that you have to look for AMD (FX or Ryzen CPU, NOT APU).
                        As for Intel, the i3 also is said to support ECC.
                        So that's your opions...
                        BUT: you have to look for ASUS, maybe Gigabyte and Asrock Boards.

As for Power Consumption: LGA2011 (32nm) is similar to AMD FX in all possible ways.

Comment

It's hard to find a good motherboard that actually has a bios to enable ecc. I know asus has some but it's not something they usually list in specs
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Asus has many that support non reg ecc, they don't always document it though.

Comment

Working...
                            X