No announcement yet.

bad cap manufacturers - please post yours here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure of the brand but the only markings is a logo of saturn tilted made of an e.
    same unit has bad jun-foo caps too.
    its an allied 400w atx psu.

Comment

gsc is another that i see lots of
      they just go open or high esr with no outward signs of failure.
      like the g-luxons.
      if your board is unstable time to get out the scope.

Comment

been seeing bad su'scon caps in mag lcd monitors.
        watch for them in mobo's

Comment

GSC

GSC - These are used on Leadtek boards. Silver caps with Green wrapping and Gold writing. 1000 and 1500 6.3V are key ones to go but be aware that the 330 6.3V ones also leak. the 330's are silver caps with purple wrap and gold writing. my motherboard and video card were bought around october 2002 as a time reference.

Have some pics lurking at my webspace. Beware 56kers if u click on the pics. they are all 1Mb plus.
          =-
          Sureality Bytes

Comment

G-Luxon silver cap with green coating and grey writing. 1500 6.3V going bad on a ECS K7S5A. My uncle blew a ECS K7S5A mainboard the other month. Bad caps and a shorted component. That had most of the power rail 1500 caps bad. 6-8 i think out of a cluster of 10.
            =-
            Sureality Bytes

Comment

tocon type lr
              looks like all the other cheapo low esr caps.
              common in speedstream gear.

Comment

Regarding Sanyo caps, I have 5 soyo slot 1 boards on the lan. I was worried about them but they all have sanyo caps. They have been running office hours daily for several years. Stable as hell even in win98 lol . No visible signs of any cap problem. I used to think that sanyo was not a good company considering their consumer goods. But their AA nimh 2100mah rechargeables are a favourite of mine and rate quite high in comparison reviews. They have also made a high tech CDR blanks plant in greece. Funny how some brands I used to consider not good are producing amazing stuff on the component side - Hyundai/Samsung etc.
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

GSC 1200uf 6.3V Y25A (green with gold text)
                  GSC 1000uf 6.3V T27C (black with gold text)

I have 3 dead Giga-byte boards with the above GSC caps.

OST 3300uf 6.3V 0212 (dark blue or purple with gold text)
                  G-Luxon 1500uf 6.3V 203B(M) (green with silver text)

I have 1 dead Elitegroup with the above 2 caps.

GSC 2200uf 10V T19A (green with gold text)

And finally i have one dead EPOX with the above GSC cap.

Comment

another BAD cap maker

sorry, wanted to report a BAD caps maker, but it 's already in the list (above)

Comment

bad caps on shuttle av11 board

on my shuttle av11

caps 2700 uF 6.3 V made by Gloria

all are bad

Comment

As my second official post, I would like to add Wendell to your list.

PhyrPhly

Comment

I'm not sure if the denials issued by Taiwan capacitor makers are all true because http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/images/caps2-4.jpg shows a reprint from the Nov/Dec 2002 issue of Passive Component Industry magazine where one manufacturer, Jamicon, claimed that it obtained its electrolytes from Sanyo, but Sanyo denied this. OTOH I've read from other sources that Teapo caps have always been good, and I haven't seen any bad ones.

A couple of Fuhjyyu caps in my 2-3 year-old 300W Antec started to bulge a few months ago, one black, one blue, but all the JEE brand caps in my 4-5 year old Powmax tested OK with an ESR meter and showed no bulges or leaks.

What capacitor company makes dark brown caps marked with the letter "M" where the lower legs of the letter are turned inward? I've never seen a bad one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
                            What capacitor company makes dark brown caps marked with the letter "M" where the lower legs of the letter are turned inward? I've never seen a bad one of these.
                            Unless I'm mistaken, those are Matsushita, aka Panasonic.

--Randy

Comment

here is a photo of panasonic FC with the M showing

----> Thread Split and wigyori's Zida T810B-SE mainboard, filled with Licon caps moved to "All others motherboards" forum
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by willawake; 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Re: bad cap manufacturers - please post yours here

Just adding another brand: Jun Fu

I found it in an old no-name PSU I scrapped 6 months ago because it would not turn on anymore... Turned out it was due to bulging Jun Fu and Rulycon caps...

It is a 10v 2200uF cap, on the backside marked: WG105°C 0105
                                Attached Files
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Epox ep-8k3a
                                  2200uF 10V 10mm [13] GSC
                                  1500uF 6.3V 10mm [2] GSC
                                  1200uF 6.3V 10mm [6] GSC
                                  1000uF 6.3V 8mm [6] Teapo

Attached Files
                                  days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Dst is another crappy brand. They appear on some older Slot 1 QDI boards. They're usually not bulging from the top but from the bottom - so it's not so easy for inexperienced user to see that they're bad.

Comment

thanks list is updated

Comment

Here are some photos.
                                        Tayeh, Licon, G-Luxon, Jackcon, Jackcon, DST, DST, Jackcon, JPCON

Close view of the DSTs - the smaller one has flat top but the bottom came out:

Canicon, Jackcon, JPCON, G-Luxon:

Misc. other crap - bad mosfets, mosfet drivers, VRM controllers, serial line drivers, etc.:
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Rainbow; 08-28-2005, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I saw a new one today, Skywell. Was on a Geforce FX 5200 card that came in a Dell tower, could not see any brand information on the card itself. It had 4 Skywell 1000uf 16v, 2 had blown, and 1 OSCON 510uf 4v. The cap was dark blue and gold with the brand written horizontally. The monitor would lose video signal after about 5 minutes, replaced with oscons that I robbed from a mainboard and it works great.

Comment

Working...
                                          X