Lattitude D531...65w or 90w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lattitude D531...65w or 90w?

I have this D531 I plan to upgrade to win7, and upgrade its sempron to a turion X2 (highest processor it can take)

it has a 65w brick, as I tested windows 7 last night I had it plugged into a 95w brick and it ran fairly hot.

everywhere I search for a power brick for it, its 65w, dell site has it's replacemment listed as 90w

should I get a 90w for the added processor?

battery has a 30% wear, but I don't that should be a big problem
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Lattitude D531...65w or 90w?

If the 65w is not enough it will just auto switch off (laptop draws - needs more current than the brick can supply).
    Last edited by atsio; 05-05-2014, 01:12 AM.

Comment

The original Dell chargers for the D531 are 65w.

Comment

if a 65w brick cant run it, Id hate to see its batt life (or lack thereof)!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

65 will work but will charge slower while running. 90W will chargeat the same rate regardless of load

D8xx requires 90W btw...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

probably.
            on one lap i had,
            the 65w pa12 would run the lap OR charge the battery.
            the larger pa10 charger would do both at the same time.

D830 comes with a 65w pa12 as standard btw.
            Last edited by stj; 05-06-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

The official is a PA12 (PA-2E) 65W from when I worked with them in the past. The PA10 (PA-3E) will also work fine it just won't have any real advantage.

Using a PA12 on a laptop designed for a PA10 will just result in insanely slow performance and insanely slow battery charging set by the BIOS.

Comment

actually, I just did a experience index with both the 65w and 90w. The CPU rating was the same. Brick ran pretty hot, but it didn't shut down. With the AS-5 it runs a hell of a lot cooler than with the sempron (even though the sempron is 25w and the turion is 35w tdp). Struggles at 720p flash, where a T5800 recent upgrade recently with the same memory timings and it ran 720p flash at about ~70% on an intel GMA /w areo

This gpu is an ATI x1200 series chip. Funny, looking inside, I actually saw a hynix memory chip next to this gpu. Why is it sharing memory? Its 32M, cause when I set shared memory to 64M it shows up 96M. No way to get this fucker to just use the memory chip. All this person is going to do is use it for browsing, so 32M is fine for windows areo
                Last edited by Uranium-235; 05-17-2014, 09:31 PM.
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I used to have a D531. It came with a 65W adapter, so I'm sure it was fine. If the laptop wants more than 65W, it will nag you in the BIOS when you first power it on.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

seems dell have alot of revision on those power adapters.....

some older models 65W...
                    while most now 90W....

higher watt imo is ok...

Comment

Higher watt adapters are required if you are using a docking station. I havent noticed a difference otherwise, though I tend to get the higher wattage ps.

Comment

Just get a Dell PA-10. They can be had for near to postage costs used if you look in the right places, and they're absolutely bulletproof.

For the record, I had a Dell D531 for a while. Quite a nicely built piece of kit. Ran extremely hot though - the upgrade to an E5500 was more than worth it.
                        Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

I have a D520 seems to be the same heat with the 90 or 65 watt but since most my outlets are two prong i use the 65 watter more often, gotta love the timeless 4:3 screen design of these.
                          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

90w (pa-10). 65w (pa-12) will work but it will only charge at full capacity with the laptop shutdown. This is true for all d series minus d8xx units (pa-10 only).
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The adapter you use has a side effect on the heat the laptop generates and it is due to ExpressCharge only and nothing to do with the CPU or other factors of the laptop.

As far as which adapter to use read this.

65 Watt or 90 Watt AC adapter with cord wrapping; 65 Dell Slim Auto/Air/AC Adapter (Battery optimized mode only)
                              Primary 4-cell/32 WHr "Smart" Lithium Ion battery featuring ExpressCharge™; Primary 6-cell/56 WHr "Smart" Lithium Ion battery featuring
                              ExpressCharge; Primary 9-cell/85 WHr "Smart" Lithium Ion battery, supports ExpressCharge with 90 watt AC adapter; Secondary 6-cell/48WHr
                              "Smart" Lithium Ion battery featuring ExpressCharge.

You should use a 90W adapter for this laptop to provide the widest options (ExpressCharge for all battery sizes, Port and Docking Station use and the brick runs cooler and lasts longer than the 65W).

PA-12 is the 65w adapter.
                              PA-10 or PA-3E (newer version) are the 90w adapters.

If you do not use 9 cell batteries, Port Replicator or Docking Station then stay with the 65W adapter you have now unless you want to spend the $10 or so on Ebay for the 90w one for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X