Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How bad are Ost caps realy?

Originally posted by felix
    They run very cool compared to the OST (4/6 of OST were with bulged tops).
    In other words, 2/3!
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
      In other words, 2/3!
      yeap, more or less 66.66% of them

Comment

I have an older Foxconn Winfast nForce 4 SLi board with some smaller OST caps and an Antec EarthWatts 380w with atleast one OST inside and no issues so far, no bulging.

Comment

2 x Antec EA-380 here, all with OST (a few Teapo) which died. No bulging. Replace caps, run fine.

1st PSU wouldn't power up, 2nd was hissing and the PC would BSOD when loading Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut
            I have an older Foxconn Winfast nForce 4 SLi board with some smaller OST caps and an Antec EarthWatts 380w with atleast one OST inside and no issues so far, no bulging.
            OST Hardly ever bulge when they fail. I've seen hundreds of OST caps which were causing problems even when not bulged. After replacing them the devices were fine.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Got several boards here acting up 1 with OST leakers on it.. Seem like all the 6.3v 1000uf caps.. some draining out the bottom and some squirted from the top without bulging.. The first board is a red MSI budget build.. Has a MS-7142 with 14 of em on it and 9 are leaking.. Funny thing is when I opened the case it kind of smelled like a cat took a piss in there.. I work on lots of office equipment and have seen burned up stuff but never leaking electrolitics.. New a guy that was a TV repairman and he was always complaining about this kind of stuff.. Called em fish caps because they were said to be filled with fish oil instead of electrolite in China and Tiawan..These countries have a business culture that lends itself to buying stuff off a truck in a back alley.. #2 is a Gigabyte and the others are generic cheepies with SIS chipsets that I am going to just toss.. Do NG, Sanyo and Rubicon parts seem to last??

Comment

A satellite receiver manufacturer initially started using Japanese electrolytics, then in 2001 (approximate) used Taiwanese units, including OST units (on FSP power supplies).
                One model around 2004 had Teapo units on the main logic board (one was bulging), while a later version of the same model had Nippon Chemi-Con and Taicon units in the FSP-made power supply.
                I guess the Pay TV provider ended their relationship with the satellite receiver manufacturer, because of excessive failures (which included bulging OST units on the power supplies).
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I have a K7S5A with the inner (closest to the CPU) VRM's are Luxons, and 5/6 were bloating, though toward the end of the time I used the board (when I fried my T-bird 1.33 and went with a K8 setup) I has no stability issues. Past that, next to the Luxons are some OST's and those never bloated.

I replaced the Luxons with some used Rubycons mbz's salavaged from another dead board (dead for different reasons). Board still works great, even if I have absolutely no use for it
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner0
                    Do NG, Sanyo and Rubicon parts seem to last??
                    What's NG?

The Sanyos in my 33-year-old Sanyo TV have been doing well, and I've had to replace only two. OTOH my Sanyo TV from the mid-1990s had Jamicons, and most sampled two years ago showed kind of high ESR, and a few in the vertical circuit failed. All my motherboards from over 9-10 years ago contained Taiwan brand caps, and all eventually developed at least one bulging cap, except my FIC PA-2007 mobo from the late 1990s, which had Sanyos in its CPU voltage regulator -- probably not a coincidence.

Gigabyte seems to avoid bad caps brands now, and a few months ago at Fry's I noticed that their lower cost mobos used only Sanyos and Nichicons for their wet caps.

The Rubycons used on Dell Optiplex GX270 mobos seem to have held up, despite the high power consumption of the Pentium4 CPUs.

I haven't seen any bulging OSTs in my PSUs, but I've had them fail on mobos, always around a hot north bridge or in the memory voltage regulator circuit. All the other OSTs of the same type measured really low ESR.
                    Last edited by larrymoencurly; 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

OSTs in PSUs are usually OK if it's a fairly efficient (= cool running) unit or if they're not placed in hotspots right next to a diode pack or something..
                      same for Teapo/Yageo.

on mainboards however, they're just crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X