Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LED replacement for CCFL in PC monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED replacement for CCFL in PC monitors?

I've seen some kits on eBay from China that replace the CCFL tubes along the sides of the LCD with strips of white LEDs, and it comes with some controller and unclear directions about how its going to interface with the display.

Anyone ever had any luck with these? They are around $5, and it looks like you cut the strip to the length you need, so I'm tempted to order one, in case any of my second hand monitors totally fry the CCFLs, or if I come across an LCD with bad backlight from someone.

Re: LED replacement for CCFL in PC monitors?

if you cut the strip it wont work.
    you buy the size you need.

do a forum search.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=ccfl+led
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrMoIpvYTk
      Last edited by vinceroger69; 01-05-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I guess typical ambigous ebay offer from China. Seller didn't seem to know anything when I asked them about it either.

Comment

There seems to be a variety of fixed length ones on Ali and also universal, 54cm with the LEDs trimable in multiples of 3 and cover 15"-24" monitors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...ing/1719601178

Comment

go fixed-length.
            if you trim, a big one then you increase the current to the remaining leds.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              go fixed-length.
              if you trim, a big one then you increase the current to the remaining leds.
              That depends on how the "controller" is designed. If the lamps are wired in series and the controller is just a constant (or "user adjustable variable") current source, then it won't matter.

[Though removing too many from the string would increase Pd in the controller]

Comment

well they arent, they are wired in parallel groups.
                these invertors dont step the voltage up much.

Comment

Ive bought a couple of those ccfl to led kits off ebay, and replaced my monitors over the years. They work great, except once in a while the kit might be defective with not lighting up all the leds on a strip (quick contact seller and they send a new kit) other than that hit or miss its a great solution. YOU CAN CUT THE STRIPS TO FIT THE SIZE OF THE MONITOR, they are wired in parrallel groups of 3 leds in sequence and 3 leds is exactly 1 inch in length. So if you bought a 24 inch kit (540mm) u can cut down to 23, 22, 21, and i believe 20 or 19 is the minimum size down of length. So cut off in sets of 3

Comment

if you get one that doesnt work, check the polarity of the leds,
                    i had one with the red & black the wrong way around.
                    i just swapped the contacts over in the plug shell to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X