LED strip lens caps falling off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED strip lens caps falling off

Has anyone else besides me ever had a problem with the lens caps falling off of the LED strips in a TV? I have an LG 50LB6000 that I repaired about mid summer. about 1/2 of the LED lens caps had fallen off causing white spots on the screen. So I glued them back on. I just had it come back for the same problem, but only worse. Most of them had fallen off, including the ones I had glued back on a few months ago. And the remaining ones still attached could be pulled off very easily. I had scraped the old glue off of the LED strips and back of the lens caps, and also cleaned both surfaces with alcohol. I used superglue gel which is what most people online recommend, and I used the good Locktite brand. I got the strips and lens caps all scraped clean of the old glue, and cleaned with alcohol again. By the way the back light brightness is set at less than 50%, the firmware is up to date, and there is not one single bad LED out of all 45 of them so I don't think they're overheating or running too hot. And I hate to replace the LED strips when every LED is still good. Before I glue them back on a second time, does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent a repeat failure?

Re: LED strip lens caps falling off

i use this glue on all my led jobs seems really good was recommended by another member https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Qui....c100506.m3226

Comment

I use a 5 minute epoxy and use the smallest dot of it I can. The caps are still removable if need be.

Comment

Ive noticed the same on the newer LG, they use a really big lens. I’m assuming they are too heavy for the fixing.
        Pain when you’re trying to repair a led and they keep popping off around you

Comment

I also use 5-minute epoxy to affix the lenses. Super glue will outgas, which will deposit a white film on objects nearby.

Comment

I bought some Gorilla Glue brand 5 minute clear epoxy Saturday and got them all re-attached. They seem to be holding well and I couldn't pull them off easily. Unfortunately I think they got a little fogged from the superglue because I can still see the individual spots of light on the screen. And even though I was very careful, probably due to this being the 3rd time the panel was disassembled, I ended up with a single very thin vertical line all the way down the screen just left of center. I reseated both ends of both ribbon cables along with the T-Con to main board cable and no luck. So I think I have a bad panel. But for future repairs, I'll use the epoxy right away to get it right the 1st time and not have to do multiple disassemblies of the panel. I'm sure that's stressful on the TFT glass and where the ribbons attach to both ends to fold them up and tape them to the glass for screen removal. I've done dozens of LED strip replacements the past couple years, and haven't broken a screen yet. And this is the 1st one I ever had go bad.

Comment

I use dollar store crazy glue with zap zip kicker accelerant (available at hobby stores).

Comment

Originally posted by Keshenatech1 View Post
                I bought some Gorilla Glue brand 5 minute clear epoxy Saturday and got them all re-attached. They seem to be holding well and I couldn't pull them off easily. Unfortunately I think they got a little fogged from the superglue because I can still see the individual spots of light on the screen. And even though I was very careful, probably due to this being the 3rd time the panel was disassembled, I ended up with a single very thin vertical line all the way down the screen just left of center. I reseated both ends of both ribbon cables along with the T-Con to main board cable and no luck. So I think I have a bad panel. But for future repairs, I'll use the epoxy right away to get it right the 1st time and not have to do multiple disassemblies of the panel. I'm sure that's stressful on the TFT glass and where the ribbons attach to both ends to fold them up and tape them to the glass for screen removal. I've done dozens of LED strip replacements the past couple years, and haven't broken a screen yet. And this is the 1st one I ever had go bad.
                Yeah, the panels are delicate. I've broken my share of them.

Comment

Working...
                X